• Hello visitor!

We are happy to see you have stopped by and hope you will consider registering with our community. Whether you have a question related to an upcoming cruise or just want to meet other fellow cruisers, you are always welcome!

Hope to see you on the forums soon!

You thought 15 degree list was bad??

Seacruise

Deckhand
Well it is being reported that the Cougar Ace that is carrying 5,000+ cars from Japan to Vancouver is listing 80 degress in the Gulf of Alaska.

You can read all about it here or here

Phil

Seacruise

Deckhand
It is currently being reported that it may not be afloat much longer. They dropped a life raft that has floated away and they are trying to get it back. All crew are in Survival suits and another murchant ship has arrived on scene.

I have not seen which car company is about to loose almost 5000 cars.

Phil

Liz

Deckhand
Has her actual position been broadcast, Phil:confused: 200 miles South of the Aleutians covers a LOT of territory. Trying to figure why a Coast Cutter would be coming from Hawaii.....would think we would have SOMETHING a bit closer:confused:

Seacruise

Deckhand
Have not seen anything to say exactly where she is. I see she left Japan on July 22 headed for Vancouver. That would mean she left July 21 for us on the west coast as Japan. Hmm travelling at about 18 knots or about 432 miles a day would put her closer to Japan than here.:cool:

That is a BIG ocean in the north Pacific..

Phil

Liz

Deckhand
Nah, only a gentle roll:mrgreen: Would wonder HOW she is staying afloat:eek:

They keep talking about how bad the weather is:confused: Guess you really can't tell how high the swells are:confused: and video won't play for me

Seacruise

Deckhand
I am wondering if the cars played a part in the ship listing by shifting over top that side of the ship. I don't think they "tie" them down on these ships. Not much stays put with a 80 degree list.

Phil

Abacus

Deckhand
I read today that all 23 crew members had been
air-lifted to safety. One had a broken ankle and was taken to hospital. The ship was still afloat.

Seacruise

Deckhand
I just read where the car company said that the cars were secured to the deck prior to the ship leaving but they are not sure at this point.

This will be interesting.

Phil

NJVIC

Deckhand
I also heard that all the cars are anchored in place and the car company was not concerned about them moving - but if they can't right the ship there is no way they can get it into a port and remove the cars.

If that's the case, then my best guess is the ship owners call "you know who" to tow it and it disappears. Then the big insurance claim is filed.

Vic.

Ally

Deckhand
Listing car ship righted – shifting to Portland

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) – Crews have righted a ship loaded with new cars and SUVs that had keeled over onto its side a month ago in the north Pacific Ocean.

The Cougar Ace, which had been listing severely south of Alaska’s Aleutian Islands, is being prepared for a tow to Portland, Oregon, the Anchorage Daily News reported Saturday. The ship listed to its port side July 23 as its crew was attempting to adjust ballast water.

The Singapore government is investigating what made the ship list during the ballast change, which happened in international waters, US Coast Guard Cdr. Joe LoSciuto said.

The Cougar Ace has been moored at buoys northwest of Dutch Harbor since August 8 when tugboats pulled the vessel into the port. Workers finally righted it Thursday night.

The Singapore-flagged ship is loaded with nearly 5,000 Japanese-built Mazdas sold in the United States. The inventory consists of subcompacts and SUVS, Miatas and RX-8 sports cars, said Jeremy Barnes, a Mazda spokesman. As far as the Coast Guard could determine, there was minimal damage to the cars, LoSciuto said.

(Royal Gazette)