• Hello visitor!

We are happy to see you have stopped by and hope you will consider registering with our community. Whether you have a question related to an upcoming cruise or just want to meet other fellow cruisers, you are always welcome!

Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Would like to hear any comments on NCL Jewel, Roatan, & Belize

dbcruise

Deckhand
I will be cruising on the Jewel Dec. 2014 and would like to hear of anyone's experience on board this ship. Also I will be visiting Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras, and Belize so if anyone has been there and can tell me if they liked it, I would appreciate it, also what fun things there are to do at both. Thank you! :)

Pam in CA

Captain
I did a similar cruise on the Crown Princess in February, stopping in Roatan, Belize and Cozumel.

In Roatan, there is a beach area within a few minutes' walk of where the ship docks, Mahogany Bay, with tons of loungers both in the shade and sun. You can also take a chair lift from the port village to the beach. We paid $10 on the ship for unlimited rides; it was $12 if you wait until you get there. We went over there at about 10:00am and stayed until almost 3pm. Someone came by at about 12:30 with menus and we ordered lunch which they brought to us. We paid by credit card and added a tip. It was great. Here are some photos of the loungers and the beach:

In Belize, we booked a private tour with Coral Breezes (www.coralbreezestours.com) that included a boat ride to Caye Caulker, snorkeling, and then back to Caye Caulker for lunch. The snorkeling wasn't that good as there were strong currents which wasn't the fault of the tour operator. You had the option of staying on Caye Caulker and wandering around there until time for lunch or doing the snorkeling. The total cost was $75. Deposit was only $14 with the balance due when we arrived in Belize. That included lunch. Pretty reasonable. If you didn't want to go snorkeling, I think it was $15 less.

Here are some photos I took:

Hope this helps! We had a great time on this itinerary.

:) Pam

dbcruise

Deckhand
Thank you so much! That info really helped, it's nice seeing your pictures. That beach day sounds nice in Roatan. I would like to do a river cave tubing excursion in Belize, did you hear from anyone on your ship that did that?

Pam in CA

Captain
We considered the river tubing but from everything I read, it's quite a hike from where you are dropped off to where you start the tubing plus it's a long tour. I think it's an hour and a half or more drive each way. It sounded more strenuous than we wanted and we wouldn't have time to shop or look around the shops at the port. But then we're old. :) Pretty active but not spring chickens.

I got a really nice tanzanite ring for my daughter at one of the shops (Diamonds International.) I'm not afraid to bargain and was prepared to walk away if they didn't give me the price I wanted to pay but I got it for about 40% of the suggested price.

PEB

Captain
Staff member
I have heard many positive things about the river tubing excursion. I have never done it myself. Most of my tours in that area were snorkeling or scuba. I am sure you will have a great time on your cruise. The waters are beautiful there.