• Hello visitor!

We are happy to see you have stopped by and hope you will consider registering with our community. Whether you have a question related to an upcoming cruise or just want to meet other fellow cruisers, you are always welcome!

Hope to see you on the forums soon!

what would happen if...

Prue

Deckhand
What would happen or happens if during a free time in a town a passenger goes missing.Will the ship wait for him and if yes for how long?

Lauren

Deckhand
My family was so worried about me going on a cruise. Because of all the people that have gone missing on cruises. It made me think, and I know it's terrible... But someone could be thrown off the ship without anyone noticing, very easily, it's rather scary!:eek:

robinson

Deckhand
I have never thought of that before.... but now taht you guys mention it, that realy could be scary, imagine getting lost or whatever (kidnapped???) and you hear or see your boat living port!!:eek:

Lauren

Deckhand
Well I think the ship knows if there is anyone that has not boarding the ship, they scan your card when you get off. So I believe they will wait until everyone is back on the boat before leaving. However, at night, noone would notice if you were thrown over the side.:eek:

Salt-Water

Deckhand
I don't think taht they are allowed to wait forever. They would probably first contact the authorities in question then probably have a certain amount of time they can wait......I don't see them blocking a boat for 2 days for instance.

nilson

Deckhand
OMG!!! I was reading another thread but the buffet thing... but getting thrown overbaord? Well... its sure a good way to do away with someone you don't like...
I would really have to make sure the people I go onboard with like me :S Or eat so much that it takes a dozen people to carry me up.

OldCross

Deckhand
who knows who you could meet aboard a cruise... maybe some sort of serial killer... i'm sure that must exist. You find those everywhere so why not on cruises???:eek:

vanilla

Deckhand
yes they are the worse, i was traumatised by the little girls story in belgium lately and whatever you can find on ground you can surely find aboard too. wherever i go i always have an eye on my kids or when i cruise i leave them to my parents

Salomon

Deckhand
I suppose that the ship can only wait till one point then it goes off with business andtoo bad for the missing passenger,yes I agree with those who say that it is a frightening option

Florex

Deckhand
I wouldn't even like to imagine that happening to me, it would be like playing in a bad movie. It must be a very scary experience. Does anyone know of 'true' stories related to these sort of facts?

bfry

Deckhand
:help: on our cruise to alaska, we were told several times that if you were not back on time ,the ship would sail and it was your resposibility to find transportation to catch the ship at the next stop.:help:

FlRic

Deckhand
I had that happen once while living in Rome. A passenger was missing so the ship called the Embassy and asked us to contact the local police to see if the person was incarcerated for some reason. He was-public drunk. The Court would not open till the following morning so he could not be released.When we contacted the ship with the info they told us that they had to leave in order to keep pilot appointments in their other Ports and that the passenger was responsibile to get to the ship at his own expense. I don't want to even think about that hang-over!!!

middy

Deckhand
On one cruise we were in Civitavecchia one of the ships tours was an executive tour to Rome. At the end of the day we didn't sail at time stated, after quite some time one of the executive coaches arrived back. The story we heard was that whilst in the centre of Rome one member from a coach went to a tabacconists. He then could not locate the others. They searched for him also contacted the local Police. We sailed without him but his partner was onboard. Did manage to catch us up in next port of call.
Another time we had a three and a half hour delay on our flight, we kept enquiring as to would we miss the boat, they insisted we should fly, we arrived in Palma and were rushed through the terminal. By the time we arrived at the dock the boat should have long sailed, maybe because they had a day at sea the following day and could make up the time they waited for us. Spoiled everybody elses sailaway party though, it was 2am when we boarded.

Norman

Deckhand
Thirty minutes before a ships sails you usually have an announcement, “ Would Mr or Mrs So and So please report to Reception immediately or ring a certain number.” They are the people the computer says have not passed through the boarding card check on entering the ship.

St Thomas one of the US Virgin Islands is one of our favourite for watching the last minute rush for the ship. People take taxis to Magens Bay Beach, about twenty minutes from the ship, they wait till the last minute or have to queue for a return taxi. The first time we saw them running down the side of the ship to the gangway, last time we were there, we were moving, and heard them saying “What do we do”

The Cruise Director on NCL Dawn had the answer, he always said make sure you have your camera, you can get some great shots of the ship leaving.

Only if you are on an excursion organised by the ship will the Captain wait, other times it is your responsibility to arrive back on time. We always allow at least ninety minutes.

Dijoy

FOX

Deckhand
I wouldn't like that to happen to me. Most of the time i prefer getting back a long time in advance to be sure that any last minute problem i could have wouldn't have any effect and the departure time