• Hello visitor!

We are happy to see you have stopped by and hope you will consider registering with our community. Whether you have a question related to an upcoming cruise or just want to meet other fellow cruisers, you are always welcome!

Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What is Your Favorite Cruise Ship of the Past?

L

lancashire lass

A very small ship named Bolero. I think it was a Norwegian cruise line ship in the far past but not sure.

Kemble

Deckhand
I have two favourites. The old Star Princess. That was my first ship (and your always remember your first. She may still be sailing under a different name in P&O. The other was the Radisson Diamond, which is now a gambling ship in the Hong Kong Harbour. If I do some digging I think I can find some pics.

Pam in CA

Captain
My favorite ships of the past are the original Royal Princess and the Regal Princess. Rumor has it that the next Princess ship after the Royal III will be named the Regal Princess.

Kemble

Deckhand
The Regal went to P&O Australia. I have a good friend who's on the Island Princess right now.

Pam in CA

Captain
The Regal went to P&O Australia. I have a good friend who's on the Island Princess right now.
There were several things I really liked about the old Regal and Crown Princess: the swim-up bar, the real single cabins, the Adagio and Bengal Bar lounges, and the movie theater. Not sure if any of these remain now that it's with P&O.

I'm really looking forward to the Island Princess. I've been on her before (and her sister ship, the Coral) and like the size and the fact that there are less than 2,000 passengers. I'll be traveling with some good friends from Toronto and can't wait to see them next month. We don't plan to do too much as we've been to all the ports several times before and while that might sound jaded, it's kind of nice to feel I don't have to tour and see everything from the time we dock and the time we sail. We plan to just wander around Cabo and have lunch; in Puntarenas, I'm taking a white water rafting tour; in Fuerte Amador, I'm taking the small boat excursion through the Canal; in Cartegena, I'm taking a very intensive private shore excursion; and, in Aruba, I'm just getting off and taking a private van tour that you can find at the port's entrance.

Lioness

Hi Pam, not sure this counts but I emigrated to Canada in 1967 on the Cunard Sylvania. She was only about 12,000 tons and we had a Force 12. Took 9 days to reach Montreal, usually takes 6. We passed the old Queen Elizabeth on her last voyage, lots of hooting in mountainous seas! I came back 2 years later on QEII.

Pam in CA

Captain
Jean, of course it counts! And I see that you've taken the Artemis twice. She's the original Royal Princess whose godmother was Princess Diana. :) There are many Princess cruisers who remember her fondly.

haroldwilliams

Deckhand
Hello mrslinarcos,
I think one of my favorites (gone now) was the Flavia of Costa line. Another was the Amerikanis of Chandris - America lines. Both were friendly ships and I felt comfortable on them. They did not have slides ,or rock climbing walls. They were simple cruise ships. I was on the Amerikanis from Norfolk to Bermuda, and Flavia to Nassau from fort Lauderdale.
I believe I like the Majesty of the Seas, and I think the Poesia is very nice and above average. But I still would like to see a smaller ship (that is reasonable for all in price ) go from different East Coast ports, and would like to see the cruise lines use more imagination, and ingenuity. As Americans, we should welcome competition. I like the idea of family run cruise lines.
harold williams

Kemble

Deckhand
There were several things I really liked about the old Regal and Crown Princess: the swim-up bar, the real single cabins, the Adagio and Bengal Bar lounges, and the movie theater. Not sure if any of these remain now that it's with P&O.

I'm really looking forward to the Island Princess. I've been on her before (and her sister ship, the Coral) and like the size and the fact that there are less than 2,000 passengers. I'll be traveling with some good friends from Toronto and can't wait to see them next month. We don't plan to do too much as we've been to all the ports several times before and while that might sound jaded, it's kind of nice to feel I don't have to tour and see everything from the time we dock and the time we sail. We plan to just wander around Cabo and have lunch; in Puntarenas, I'm taking a white water rafting tour; in Fuerte Amador, I'm taking the small boat excursion through the Canal; in Cartegena, I'm taking a very intensive private shore excursion; and, in Aruba, I'm just getting off and taking a private van tour that you can find at the port's entrance.
There is a lovely restaurant, named, (I believe) Pesco, in Cartegena. It has a large patio looking out onto the marina. The owner is a member of the, Chain des Rotisseurs. I've taken groups of about 10 there few times. The last time was about five years ago but I believe they are still in business. It is moderately priced and more importantly, the food has consistently pleased everyone, with service that was excellent without being stuffy.

Pam in CA

Captain
There is a lovely restaurant, named, (I believe) Pesco, in Cartegena. It has a large patio looking out onto the marina. The owner is a member of the, Chain des Rotisseurs. I've taken groups of about 10 there few times. The last time was about five years ago but I believe they are still in business. It is moderately priced and more importantly, the food has consistently pleased everyone, with service that was excellent without being stuffy.
Thanks for the info. I'm going to be on a private tour organized by someone else and I think we're scheduled down to the last minute. I've made a note of the restaurant for "just in case." :)

Lioness

Our second cruise was out of Falmouth, UK to the Caribbean on the Athena. She was built in 1939 as the Stockholm and she collided with the Andrea Doria which sank. http://www.evesmag.com/andreadoria.htm . We had a great cruise, out through Madeira to the Caribbean and back through the Azores. All those folk that think a ship that is 15 years old is old are crazy!!

PEB

Captain
Staff member
My favorites would be the SS Independence and the SS Norway. I like the ocean liners more then the cruise liners.

Loftybaker

Deckhand
There was something differant about OLD SHIPS, than the new made to order floating hotels, were a deck was not a floor, a wall was a bulkhead not a wall, we had a pursers office and a galley not a kitchen etc etc. My first ship in 1960 was Ivernia sister to the Sylvania, all cunard ships name's except of course the Queens, ended with ia, White Star ended with ic as in Titanic. So unfortunatly the newer younger:arghh: generations will never be able to experience those days. Ivernia was a great ship, was then a liner, made for the Canadian, UK run, was repainted to Cunard green, becoming the cruise ship Franconia and sold to the Russians later.

haroldwilliams

Deckhand
Loftybaker,
Another OLD SHIP that I liked and went on several times was the Carnivale (which was before the Queen Anna Maria) - lots of open spaces, and easy to get around in; when Carnival was just starting out.

MyrtleSue

Deckhand
I loved the ssNorway! We cruised on her for a New Year's Eve party in 1987 and loved it! Another old one was Dolphin's Island Breeze in 1996. It wasn't in the best of shape, but it had a great itinerary and we loved that one, too. Of course the Renaissance R4 was great, loved that small ship in 2000. We never met a cruise we didn't like!

leonardofan

Deckhand
For spectacular, the France has to be in a class by itself. But for gemuetlichkeit its a tie between Italia's Leonardo da Vinci and Polish Ocean Lines' Stefan Batory--old tubs both, but a graciousness you don't see anymore.