• Hello visitor!

We are happy to see you have stopped by and hope you will consider registering with our community. Whether you have a question related to an upcoming cruise or just want to meet other fellow cruisers, you are always welcome!

Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Topaz reportedly sold for scrap

Neil

Deckhand
Hi

Photos below of ' The Topaz ' , which has just been beached at Alang in India, and when she was on charter to the Japanese peace movement from 2003 to 2008.

Prior to be laid up at Singapore and sold for scrapping she had been on charter to the Japanese peace movement group and sailed on about three round the world voyages every year.

She was built as the Empress of Britain in 1956 for the Canadian Pacific Line and launched by Queen Elizabeth ll.

In 1965 she was sold to the Greek Line and after a refit she entered service as Queen Anna Maria and was re-named by the Greek Queen of the same name.

This must be one of the few passenger ships to have been named twice by a Queen !

She was sold again in 1975 to Carnival Cruises and became their cruise ship Carnival.

In 1994 she was again sold to the Greek company Epirotiki and was on charter to Thompsons Cruises from 1995 to 2003.
Topaz Alang 1.jpg
THE TOPAZ.jpg

Neil

Deckhand
It was a pity The Topaz could not have become a static unit in a port like Glasgow, who were at one time interested in preserving her.

Costs in doing this type of thing seem to be the problem as has been shown with the bringing of the ss Rotterdam back to Holland and the rising costs in converting her for use as a static unit at the port of Rotterdam.

We can expect to see a number of the older cruise ships being broken up now with only just over a year to go before the Solas 2010 regulations start to take effect.

The ss Norway/ France, which was renamed Blue Lady when she was towed to Alang via Malaysia and some other ports, has now had all her top decks removed and has been winched more or less on to the beach for the rest of the demolition work on her to be completed.

Photos of her demolition, taken this month, can be found on the American Maritime Matters website.

Neil

Deckhand
Hi Neil, sorry to revive a decade-old thread, but I've sent you a message about the Topaz.
Hi

Pictures are mine so you can credit them as ' Neil R. Edwick-Whitmore, Indepentant Travel Writer '

Hope that is OK for you.

I now run - ' Home'

This is a limited size website operated from Norway although I live in Bedfordshire, and also still post on here where I was the UK Manager with a previous owner of the website after 35 years at sea with P & O and Princess Cruises !

I have my godson and his family and parents living at Alva near Sterling so not too far from you.

Was in Glasgow for the big garden festival a few years ago when they brought the trams out the transport museum and had them running along the quayside.
You can contact me direct on - [email protected]