1. Hello visitor!

We are happy to see you have stopped by and hope you will consider registering with our community. Whether you have a question related to an upcoming cruise or just want to meet other fellow cruisers, you are always welcome!

Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Topaz reportedly sold for scrap

Discussion in 'Cruise Ships of the Past' started by Ally, Apr 14, 2008.

1. Ally

Ally Deckhand

This from Maritime Matters...

Cruise ship news, shipping reports at MARITIME MATTERS

2. middy

middy Deckhand

Well only been cruising since 97, this will be the second ship I've sailed upon off to the breakers. :(

3. Ally

Ally Deckhand

Topaz is now reported to have left her lay-up berth in Yokohama. Her future is not clear as she sails for Singapore. Many speculate that she has indeed been sold for scrap.

4. Ally

Ally Deckhand

Reports are saying that there might be a last minute reprieve for Topaz. The buyer who was to scrap her has pulled out of the sale so her owner has removed her from sale altogether in the hope of finding a charter for her. At 52 years old she is still in remarkably good condition, so hopes are high that she can be saved for a while longer.

5. Neil

Neil Deckhand

The Topaz

Hi

I have also seen the same report. :)

She is at present at anchorage in the Eastern Anchorage area off of Singapore. :cool:

This will mean that there is still a chance that one of the last British built passenger, ships still in service, could be preserved in the UK. :yes:

Photo of ' The Topaz ' below at Tilbury in 2006.

Neil
    Topaz_20060529-071.jpg

6. Ally

Ally Deckhand

I will see if she is still in Singapore next month, if she is, I will try and get some photos of her :)

7. Neil

Neil Deckhand

The Topaz

Hi

The Topaz has been damaged while at anchor in Singapore. :(

The picture below, which is downloaded from the Ship Spotting website, shows a lot of damage to her bow with some missing ! :bawling:

It is reported that she was hit by a Russian ship. :eek:

With this amount of damage it would appear that she will need to be drydocked for repairs to be made to her stem. :pray:

Neil
    663138_800.jpg

8. middy

middy Deckhand

Wonder if Ally got a peek?

9. Cruisefan

Cruisefan Deckhand

In 1998 I witnessed the topaz hitting the pier in Kusadasi while docking. the area which is now shown as missing is exactly the part which had been then rebuild in Perama. Thus the clean cut as seen clearly in the photograph.
    Seebaer

10. middy

middy Deckhand

Hi Seebaer :) Were you onboard when it happened ?

11. Cruisefan

Cruisefan Deckhand

Not onboard the Topaz. I was working onboard the Golden Star (they have again a new name !) mv Aegean I. by the way she was sold recently and supposedly Gerry Harrod has bought her to transform her into a luxury Expedition vessel. Can any one confrim this ?
    seebaer

12. Cruisefan

Cruisefan Deckhand

Middy,
    how the Internet works at times and the rumor mill grinds. The Information published by off-Radar in Cyprus is from a acquaintance who has quite possibly reported the same news which was given to me from another source. As of today to the best of my knowledge neither could be substantiated sufficiently, so I tend to treat this still as a rumor rather than hard factual NEWS.
    Seebaer

13. middy

middy Deckhand

When I checked through the internet all the articles seemed to read the same so were probably all from one source and it was rather hearsay. Been trying to locate the ship, with no luck.

14. Ally

Ally Deckhand

Topaz has suffered an accident whilst laid up in Singapore. A tanker hit her and sliced part of her bow off in a collision. Details are unknown as to whether this will have sealed her fate in regards to scrapping or when it happened, her owner had hoped to get another charter for her as she was in excellent condition until this accident.

15. Ally

Ally Deckhand

From another source, Topaz has been sold for scrap as of June 11 2008. The reported price paid for her was US$12m. This was all finalised prior to the above accident.

16. Neil

Neil Deckhand

Hi

The latest update on the 26th June 2008 for the Gujarat Maritime Board website, which covers the port of Alang, shows The Topaz as due at Alang for scrapping.

I can not see she could be moved far at present until the damaged bow is repaired.

Neil

17. Ally

Ally Deckhand

Damn shame. She still had a couple of years service in her...til 2010 when the SOLAS changes come into force. :(

Having seen the anchorage off Singapore, I can quite understand how she had her bow clipped by another ship. It is seriously crowded. Allegra had to pick her way slowly through all the ships, there were at least 100 other vessels of all types & sizes out there.

18. Neil

Neil Deckhand

Hi

Reports have come in that ' The Topaz' was beached at Alang on the evening of the 4th July after having some repairs made to her bow before leaving Singapore.

It looks as if attempts to save one of the last British built passenger ships for use as a hotel and museum have failed.

Neil

19. Cruisefan

Cruisefan Deckhand