• Hello visitor!

We are happy to see you have stopped by and hope you will consider registering with our community. Whether you have a question related to an upcoming cruise or just want to meet other fellow cruisers, you are always welcome!

Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Tipping Bagage Handlers In N.y.

BBT

Deckhand
Tipping Baggage Handlers In N.y.

It's been a year since I cruised out of N.Y. and I forgot what the standard is for tipping Teamsters at N.Y. If I recall it was higher than other ports and I can't find info online. Think it was $10.00 per bag? Don't want to sailaway and notice my bags floating alongside in the Hudson;) Anybody know?

Bob

jeff

Master of the Vessel
WOW :cry: I hope someone says that it is much less than $10/bag. That sounds like highway robbery. No wonder cruiselines are defecting to Brooklyn and New Jersey.

jeff

Liz

Deckhand
MUCH LESS than $10. :shock: Think I remember giving them $1 or $2 per bag, going out on Dawn a year ago March. No one seemed unhappy

NJVIC

Deckhand
$10 per bag -

- is way too much. We have sailed out of NYC several times and I have never tipped more than $1.00 per bag - some are courteous and like to chat a little while loading up they may get an extra buck or two or when you have a large group. Like last October there was 8 of us and one guy handled it all so he got some extra dollars.

If you give them $10 per bag don't be surprised to see him on the cruise with you and probably wearing your dinner jacket!

Vic.

jeff

Master of the Vessel
I agree that there are times that a few well selected emoticons say it all. But just imagine for a minute 10% of our members (10 or so) replying in this manner. Add a few countdown timers and pictures of their pets in their signatures and you will have pages of nonsense that will leave the reader clueless as to what all of the joviality is about.

This is how Cruise @ddicts is and there is little information there that really matters. Kind of reminds me of all of Maybach's replys like "cool picture", "I agree" etc.

jeff

bob brown

Deckhand
I have cruised from New York once, but I gave my usual five dollars for two bags which seemed to satisfy him as I received a polite thankyou.

Wolfgang's cartoon above may actually not be too far off reality...the baggage handlers at New York are members of the powerful longshoremans union, and the job is very lucrative and difficult to obtain the relatively few positions.
Almost as good as the parking valet job at a top Las Vegas strip hotel which it is rumored one must pay a lot to obtain.

sealegs

Deckhand
longshoremen and tipping

:whew: Good morning,

IMO, the issue with tipping the NY longshoremen is the same as in every other port in NorthAmerica; ours in Vancouver BC is also longshoremen's union territory; same as Seattle.
Yes, they have very good jobs; yes they are hard to nail down; yes, they carry a lot of weight ( no pun intended, not talking luggage here !!); and yes, you have to tip them.
$ 10.00/bag ?? No way.
$ 1.00-ish per bag, a fiver for a couple of standard pieces of luggage; very much the norm, whichever port .
Most the most part, they're humanbeings like the rest of us and have a normally pleasant disposition about them; and yes, there will be the odd ones who are rough 'n' grumpy; and yes, some of them will carry the ''union' chip on their shoulder and make you feel it.But all in all, they have a tough job and carry it well.
Wouldn't you folks agree ??

Cheers
CG

BBT

Deckhand
Tipping In N.Y.

O.K.-We can finnaly put this one to rest. Had 6 bags total and tipped $10.00 total. Sign posted (bit out of sight) said tipping optional. Stood by the porters desk for a while when we got off and watched and listened. Pleasant bunch of guys-didn't hear any griping or comments about how they were tipped. Did see A LOT OF money changing hands between porters etc. I am under the impression that these guys in N.Y. are paid on a per diem rate according to the number of passengers. They did have a copy of updated expected passengers at the desk.

Bob

strohmy

Deckhand
I'm a longshoreman and anything is appreciated and as far as bags being thrown in the drink could not and would not happen. Believe it or not we take pride in our jobs and our Union. Porter jobs are highly sought after.Because I am a Longie i tip $20.00 and a hand shake for four bags.BBT longshoremen pay is per hour porter jobs are considered basic and such receive basic pay;)