• Hello visitor!

We are happy to see you have stopped by and hope you will consider registering with our community. Whether you have a question related to an upcoming cruise or just want to meet other fellow cruisers, you are always welcome!

Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Tickets from New York

Norman

Deckhand
Email from New York - Federal Express have picked up our tickets, we are just awaiting delivery,

Transatlantic - MSC Lirica - Oct 29 - Mozart Theme Cruise

Norman

Ally

Deckhand
oooh you lucky so'n'so Norman...that cruise sounds wonderful with it being Mozart...you are very lucky...I am very envious :)

middy

Deckhand
Wish I could join you Norman. Sounds nice and relaxing to me. Long way for tickets to come.

middy

Deckhand
Norman did I see somewhere that you are going for 17 days,how wonderful:banana: Never managed myself to get more than 14, suppose I will have to wait until I retire to do any longer. Unfortunately quite a few years until then.

John

Deckhand
Norman was there a big difference in price in buying tickets in the USA compared to the UK?

Norman

Deckhand
Since I have retired this year in February, we have done a Panama cruise (MSC Lirica) from Fort Lauderdale, covering Jamaica, Columbia, Panama Costa Rica and Honduras (Roatan Island) then a back to back one from Miami to the Eastern Caribbean One of these was 11 days and the other 7 days. A week cruising the Nile and just two weeks in Cuba.. We did a Transatlantic last November and the one this year, both on our favourite ship MSC Lirica.

We can only travel frequently if the price is right, and the currency exchange rate makes USA very attractive, roughly half what you pay in UK. We are paying £390 pound plus approx £100 US tax for our transatlantic. This is the reason many cruise lines have stopped US travel agents from taking bookings from people that do not have a USA zip code. Thomsonfly is one we are saving up for, the fare is 0.1p, plus a few more pounds in tax for our flight to Pisa. We can pay extra for outside cabins, but inside suits us fine, as we don’t spend much time in cabins. Only drawback is cabins are selected for us, no complaints yet. Last April as cruises were back to back, we inquired about the NCL tickets might reach us after we had left home, NCL emailed the tickets

The Nile cruise was last minute £230 and the Cuba experience was £199 all-inclusive. When you can go almost immediately there are many bargains.

Ours main outlet is an auction, where we either bid or just buy for a set price. We bid for a Virgin flight home from Miami, cost £80 each. We are staying one night in West Palm Beach, hotel for room £20, last April we had three nights in various parts of Miami, most expensive was £30. Normally we ask airlines to quote us a price, similiar to the ones they are quoting in USA, again a lot cheaper than rip of Britain. United delivered the goods last time, by changing planes at Washington for Miami, adding three hours to the trip we saved £350 each.

I expect tickets to reach us quicker than Royal Mail, last time they were posted in NY at 9:00 am EST on a Saturday morning and we received them 10:00 am on following Monday morning. Naturally it is determined if package and flight by carrier are available at the desired time.

One small point, we are completing the year by having Christmas in Grand Canaria.

Hopefully all or most questions are answered.

Its a hard stressful life being retired.

Norman

middy

Deckhand
Norman how do you find MSC ? just have seen some good prices with them in the past. Saw MSC Musica when in Dubrovnik looked nice, might be an option in future.

Norman

Deckhand
http://www.msccruises.co.uk/home.asp

That is the UK web address for MSC, adverts appear in national newspapers.

In a previous thread I remarked about how we purchased cheap vacation packages. When we purchase via USA you must realise that if things go wrong, then you have no come back, booking with a UK agent you have protection.

Norman

John

Deckhand
Norman

thanks for taking the time to share the information with us. It is useful and thought provoking.

If retirement is hard work hopefully i will miss it.:bawling: Not;)