• Hello visitor!

We are happy to see you have stopped by and hope you will consider registering with our community. Whether you have a question related to an upcoming cruise or just want to meet other fellow cruisers, you are always welcome!

Hope to see you on the forums soon!

The former Love Boat, Pacific Princess, seized by Italian Coastguard, sold for scrap

Neil

Deckhand
Hi

Must admit I do like the older cruise ships. :)

I sailed on her small sister, the 1970's built Sun Princess, which has recently been sold to a chinese company but so far there has been no news on her future.

She had been laid up off the malaysian coast for some time.

Ally

Deckhand
Pacific was in the November 17 auction and had no bidders, so the breakers will have got first bite at her...no pun intended. Always sad to see a ship go to breaking but in Pacific's case its long overdue...she should have gone a couple years ago...in some ways this stay of execution is like France, going to & fro in the courts before the inevitable...she was a handsome ship but no more. From a distance she looks OK but up close she is a wreck, a shadow of her former self. Breaking her is the best way to go now, put the old girl out of her misery.

Another oldie that is in and out of the courts currently but will eventually go to breakers is Flamenco, she is also a mess, saw her up close last year outside Port Klang...she too is a wreck, a lady in waiting to die...very sad.

Neil

Deckhand
Hi

I have already reported, some time back, that the ' mv Flemenco ' has now been bought by the Chinese and had a change of name.

There has been no other news about her future !

At least the sister ship to the ' mv Pacific ' continues in service as the ' mv Discovery ' and is well looked after !

She could finish up as the last of the three original Princess Cruises ships featured in the ' Love Boat ' TV programmes

The original Sun Princess was also used for the detective Columbo's TV programme ' Troubled Waters ', where a singer was shot, and also in ' Herbie Goes Bananas ' !.

Cruisefan

Deckhand
Hello,
the broker who was in charge for the judicial Sale Ferrando & Massone srl - Genoa (IT)
has advised me that she has been sold on the 16th of November. however he was not willing to say who bought her. I suppose it must have been a breaker. Alang???
Happy(sad)Cruising
CruiseFan

Ally

Deckhand
Cruisefan.....I would imagine that if the buyer is in Turkey and Pacific's condition is bad enough (I saw her myself last year fairly close up and she looked dreadful and pretty much beyond help - in my amateur opinion), she will most probably go to Alagia for breaking as its alot closer/safer for towing than Alang.

Pacific has been in limbo for far too long, its a shame since every month she has sat there in Genoa, she has deteriorated that bit more.....to have restored her to full running order would have been a dream, but the reality is that in today's economic climate, she just wasn't going to be viable.

:(

Neil

Deckhand
With cruising companies like Louis Cruises only operating three of their present fleet on their own cruises in 2012 there could be a number of other old cruise ships built in the 1970's heading to the breakers fairly soon.

Two of the laid up Louis ships already advertised for sale are ' Sapphire ' and ' The Emerald ' which has steam turbine engines and reported to be very costly to operate.

Louis Cruises ' The Emerald ' has already had her company logo removed from her funnel.

In the past they have sold their old cruise ships to breakers at Alang where they have gone under their own steam.

Neil

Deckhand
Although her sister ship which sailed as the original Love Boat ' Island Princess ' has had the odd mechanical problem she is very popular and still enjoyed by many passengers.

She now sails as the mv Discovery.

Her owners do keep the 39 year old ship in very good condition as can be seen in the picture below -
mv Discovery.jpg

tzman

Deckhand
I appreciate the updates, though I hate the news. It's like seeing a faithful old pet get abused before finally getting put down. She was my favorite.had a TON of great times aboard that great old lady.

Ally

Deckhand
I totally understand & agree tzman, I personally believe that the whole episode has been made worse by the time taken in reaching the inevitable result.

From what I can make out she was in trouble long before arriving in Genoa, her bad inspection scores didn't cause her to be detained but she needed significant repairs, including at least one of her powerplants. I remember that well since her engine troubles co-incided with those of VoD's Discovery.

The difference being, of course, that VoD were in a financial position to make repairs...albeit under considerable public and coast guard pressure to do so. Quail were in financial trouble, this became obvious later on when the firm went under, only to restart as Happy and who have gone under again.

Pacific's future was set in stone the moment she left Barcelona for the last time, she had no future. Her age, the repairs needed and the SOLAS upgrades needed made her totally unviable...the Genoese were acting not just on debts from their own shipyard against her but others too...the lawsuit going back to when she was bought in the US was just a small part of her troubles.

Pacific had no chance of ever coming out of Genoa in service ever again...the 3 years that she remained tied up in Genoa threw even more punishment onto an already damaged and corroded ship, she was a sitting duck and a pawn in the courtrooms.

It will be a sad day in her history when she leaves Genoa for the last time, but one that was overdue and inevitable. Old ladies of the sea with such a prolific career deserve so much better than to be battered by the elements whilst companies fight over them like vultures at a kill. The old girl will be fondly remembered by everyone who sailed aboard her and its those memories that should be remembered and not the sight of her rotting at her ropes in Genoa.

Matey

Deckhand
So now it belongs to Italy? Well, I suppose that keeps it in with the romantic theme, as they say that Italians are very famous for l'amour!

Ally

Deckhand
So now it belongs to Italy? Well, I suppose that keeps it in with the romantic theme, as they say that Italians are very famous for l'amour!
She had been held by court order by the Italian authorities but as of the auction last month, she now belongs to a Turkish shipbreaker and will be leaving just as soon as debts have been settled with her many creditors....I would hazard a guess that with a purchase price as low as she eventually had, there maybe some creditors who will come away with a fraction...or nothing...of what they were owed by her and her previous owners.

Not sure how long it will take to pay people what is owed and then organise the various permissions, tugs and other clearances required to take her to Turkey for breaking up, possibly a couple of months maybe more than that.

Cruisefan

Deckhand
Ally,
not so, a judicial court ordered sale by Marshall-Law is done in order to fend off all Creditors! only when a vessel is sold in such a manner, can the new owner dare to sail her in other Ports withut having to fear her new seizure. So she is now scotch free as they say and can go without any onebeing able to touch her.
thats the game. You may recall the bancrupcy of Renaissance ships, they were all moved to Gibraltar as the courts there are familiar with Marshall Law procedures.
CruiseFan

Ally

Deckhand
Thanks for the clarification, Cruisefan.

Her disposal could happen at anytime then, it will be sad to see her go but at least the Genoese will have their quayside back where she has been sat for 3 years and be able to earn berthing fees from it. I dread to think how much she has cost to berth there for so long...I assume that they have lost that money though?

Another thing that I am curious about is Pacific's interiors....and how they have weathered the last three years sat there idle, I can only imagine how musty she must be by now....very sad.

Cruisefan

Deckhand
Here is the most recent Video taken inside the vessel beginning of this year watch here.
The problem you described is not so severe, once the Aicon is running bad smell fungus and so on quickly dissapate. the problem she is having is in her Machinery spaces, lack of class and perhaps even corroded tank tops which is a real killer to have to fix.
Well, we must face the facts, she has had her time and lets bid her a gracious farewell and gods speed ol gal.
CruiseFan

Ally

Deckhand
That is a lovely...though bittersweet...video, Cruisefan, thank you for posting the link to it.

She is in remarkably good shape internally.......it would be good to see the artwork, glass panelling and furnishings saved from her. There is a big marketplace for ship memorabilia thesedays and if its the only way to remember these beauties, then hopefully someone will save her interiors as much as possible before she is broken.

LoveMyBoxer

Deckhand
This is sooo sad! Sailed on her twice and she was a great little ship! Although, neither cabin we stayed in had beds that went together, so we always joked about it being the "love" boat!:roflmao:

So Sad.. She was a wonderful ship. My husband and I sailed her on our honeymoon to Bermuda September 15-22, 2002. One of her final Princess cruises.
On board they talked about the new "Pacific Princess" and what would happen to this ship. This was not what they talked about.