• Hello visitor!

We are happy to see you have stopped by and hope you will consider registering with our community. Whether you have a question related to an upcoming cruise or just want to meet other fellow cruisers, you are always welcome!

Hope to see you on the forums soon!

The former Love Boat, Pacific Princess, seized by Italian Coastguard, sold for scrap

Cruisefan

Deckhand
Well that is not stopping the Italian courts, as the 3rd auction attempt is coming soon, 16th of November.
Maybe Alang final destination now?
Happy Crusing
CruiseFan

Neil

Deckhand
Hi

I would think the Italian auction has been arranged due to the amount of money owing to the shipyard and also the berthing fees for the ship since she has been at Genoa.

Cruisefan

Deckhand
Hi;
court appointed broker Ferrando & Massone (click on News) - Pacific has been laid up in the port of Genoa for over two years due non-payment of repair bills by her former owners Templeton International Inc.
Happy Cruising
CruiseFan

Neil

Deckhand
Hi

Not a lot of news on the link as it only contains some very old pictures of the ship when she sailed as the ' mv Pacific Princess ' for Princess Cruises.

Another ship broker has emailed me to let me know the reserve price for the ' mv Pacific ' is set at Euros 2.78 million with her sale due to take place on the 16th November 2011.

Cruisefan

Deckhand
Hi Neil,
the Link is of the sole appointed Broker by the Genova Court. In oder to obtain most recent information on the sale and the vessel one needs to contact them. Under the heading NEWS one can see a pdf file with teh details of the juducial sale. Or contact them and they will mail you as they did for me for each of the three scheduled auctions. letss see what comes about on the 16th. Maybe if no takers then the Court will oder the broker to sell to India?
Happy Cruising
Cruisefan

Neil

Deckhand
Hi

The international ship brokers, C.W.Kellock & Co., who have an office in London and were founded in 1810, also have the ship listed on their website with details of her price and auction date !

She is listed with about ten other ships of various types which are to be sold by auction world wide.

Pheebs

Deckhand
Maybe they should be sued for "ship mistreatment" over its poor condition.....oooh dear, I'm now thinking of ships like a poor defenceless animal :hoh:

PS I don't think the lake is wide enough to accommodate her

Neil

Deckhand
Hi Beth

Perhaps there would be more room on one of the lakes in the Luton Hoo estate. :hoh:

soedergren

Deckhand
Hi, the question who owns the Pacific or not is actually part of the legal battle between Quail and the ship's (former) owners, which btw has been going on since 2008. They did buy her in June 2008, but the contract included some clause that the whole deal would be void if the ship wasn't in as good a condition as laid out in the contract. Quail now claims that the other firms fraudulently misrepresented the vessel’s deteriorating and defective condition. I quote from a legal report I read: 'Quail is seeking about $57.6 million in the case, saying problems such as corrosion were hidden from it before the sale. (...) The lawsuit says the ship’s poor condition forced Quail to cancel voyages, refund money to passengers and make repairs.' They had her only for about six month, so I guess the "ship mistreatment" probably happened before their time.

Anyway, if you google for 'Quail Cruises Pacific Legal' or something like that, you'll find plenty documents on the case.

Sadly, I can't see Pacific going back into service. IMO the only thing that could save her is her Love Boat past, as a hotel/museum or something like that, but even that is pure speculation.

Neil

Deckhand
Hi

It will be a pity but two of the original ' Love Boats ' could finish up shortly at the beakers.

The Princess Cruises ship which featured in the TV film ' Love Boat ', which was made before the series was made for TV, could also be on her way to the breakers.

Her sale was recently reported to a Chinese company after being laid up in Malaysian waters for some time.

She is reported as being re-named ' Ocean Dream '.

This ship entered service as ' Spirit of London ' and her name was changed to ' Sun Princess ' when P & O Cruises bought Princess Cruises.

In recent years the ship has been named ' Flamenco '.

I was sailing on the ship when she was owned by P & O / Princess Cruises.

Neil

Deckhand
mv Pacific Still At Genoa

The webcam picture this morning from the port of Genoa shows that the mv Pacific remains in port.

She was due to be sold by auction on the 16th November 2011 but there has been no news that she was sold.

An arrow marks her place in the port.
24.11 genoa webcam.jpg

Ally

Deckhand
She is only worth scrap value now, sadly. She has sat at berth for too long and without any preventative maintenance due to the various court orders attached to her. She isn't even worth parting out for Discovery (her twin) as by now any useful parts will have corroded or fallen out of certification.

Its a shame but having her tied up in Genoa like she is, well its just delaying the inevitable. Its time to make a final decision about her future and in the state of disrepair that she is in currently, she is not viable in the current economic climate.

Neil

Deckhand
Of the three original ' Love Boats ' used in the TV series, Sun Princess, Island Princess and Pacific Princess , only the mv Discovery remains in regular service and sails for Voyages of Discovery.

She was the Island Princess.

Sun Princess was shown earlier this month as being aquired by a Chinese company having been anchored in Malaysian waters for some time.

It is not known if this was a purchase made for one of the Chinese ship breaking yards or if she is going have a large refit and be returned to service.

Neil

Deckhand
Ex 1972 Love Boat - ' Pacific Princess ' Now Named ' mv Pacific ' Is Reported Sold !

An Italian newspaper report has been received from one of my old staff who lives in Genoa that the ex Love Boat mv Pacific , which has been laid up at Genoa for some time, has been sold to Turkey for what appears to be US $ 4.5 million !. :hoh:

Due to the Adobe format used for sending the newspaper report we have not been able to translate the report so are not sure if the sale is to one of the Turkish shipbreakers or for her to be brought back into service.

Hoping to get a translation sorted.

Ally

Deckhand
For that sort of money, she'll go to Alagia breakers in all probability. That is barely enough to cover her debts and since she has mechanical issues, a tow to Alagia is easier (and cheaper) than Alang.

Ally

Deckhand
I have asked a couple of friends of mine who deals with the histories of the older ships to confirm if a sale has gone ahead and to whom.

Tbh at this stage in the game, it would be better to break her as she has sat at the quay dormant for almost 3 years and is essentially rotting at her ropes.

Alagia would be the best option for her as she might not have the sealegs to make it to Alang in her current state.

Ally

Deckhand
The last 12 months has been hard on Pacific.

She had been listed for auction with a guide price $3.4m by an Italian broker in February 2011 but was withdrawn by the courts and she never made it onto the auction listing.

After she was withdrawn from the auction by court order on February 4, 2011, she reappeared on a listing the following week only to be withdrawn once again by court order.

It appears that the courts want to get as much as they can for her, which is understandable bearing in mind how much she owes. Scrap steeel prices are reasonable but not as high as they had been due to there being a glut in used steel, so the $4.5m pricetag is about right for a ship of her size/weight and probably all the courts can realistically hope for at this stage.

To have her restored would be in the billions and whoever bought her would have to settle the debts first if they were to bring her back to life and put her back into service. With the current financial situation, she isn't viable.

At least we still have her sister to cruise aboard, so although this ship is all but lost, we do still have another ship in which we can share memories of the 'old days' aboard.

Ally

Deckhand
Equasis is listing her as still laid up, her certification was withdrawn on March 10, 2010. She is due a full classification survey on December 30, 2011...her previous one done in 2006.

During her last 2 years in service - 2007-8 - she had 4 inspections and accrued 56 deficiencies in total before going to Barcelona initially and then to Genoa where she remains to this day.

She has been known as Pacific since June 1, 2003 and is still on the Bahamas registry to date.

The information held by Equasis is current as of December 6, 2011.

Neil

Deckhand
As is usual with this sort of news one of my regular contacts has come up with corrected details. :hoh:

The ship is reported as being bought by ' Cemsan Gemi Sokum ', a Turkish company that have been in the ship breaking business since 1993.

The reported price paid for her is Euros 2.5 million.

In recent times there had been seven maintenance staff living on the ship to monitor her mooring lines and maintain security on board. :cool:

It is not known if they have yet been withdrawn.

With her engines having been out of use for some time it is expected she will be towed to the breakers yard but when will depend on the weather conditions.

Most of her lifeboats and tenders are on the quayside !

Picture of her at Genoa below which shows areas where some work had been started on the corrosion areas which were affecting her davits - :eek:
11.12 pacific.jpg