• Hello visitor!

We are happy to see you have stopped by and hope you will consider registering with our community. Whether you have a question related to an upcoming cruise or just want to meet other fellow cruisers, you are always welcome!

Hope to see you on the forums soon!

The former Love Boat, Pacific Princess, seized by Italian Coastguard, sold for scrap

John

Deckhand
The Italian Coast Guard has seized Quail Cruises PACIFIC (ex SEA VENTURE, PACIFIC PRINCESS) against debts of USD $14 million owed to the Genoa-based San Giorgio del Porto shipyard.

Neil

Deckhand
Quail Cruises was set up by one of the ex bosses from the other Spanish cruising company Pullmantur Cruises.

Their ship, mv Pacific had been one of the Pullmantur Cruises ships.

At present Quail Cruises is operating cruises with two ships which they have chartered.

With the mv Pacific being seized she could now be sold off to clear some of these debts.

Although a lot of her cabins are small she might be of interest to Fred Olsen, as a replacement for the Black Prince or Saga might be interested in her as a replacement for the Saga Rose.

Her sister ship which was the original Island Princess sails for Voyages of Discovery as the mv Discovery.

Neil

Deckhand
The ' mv Pacific ' dates back to 1972, being one of the original Love Boats in the TV series.

She was then named ' Pacific Princess '.

Her sister ship is the Voyages of Discovery ship ' mv Discovery ', which was the original ' Island Princess '

Some of her cabins on the lower decks are small when compared with the newer cruise ships.

Photos below of the sister ships -
mv Pacific.jpg
mv Discovery.jpg

Neil

Deckhand
Hi Swan

Regarding Fred Olsens present fleet, Bodiccia was built as the Royal Viking Star in 1972 and Black Watch was built as the Royal Viking Sky in 1973.

mv Pacific was built in 1971 so not a lot of difference regarding her age

All of these ships have had renovation work carried out in recent years.

soedergren

Deckhand
According to the Spanish press, the information about the Pacific being seized because of US$14 million debt owed by Quail is not 100% correct. Apparently, the debt is much lower and it is not owed by Quail.

ElEconomista, among many other Spanish newspapers, has printed the following article on 16 July ::CLICK::

I'll try to translate the main parts of that:

Quail Cruises said that the 'Pacific' were still being repaired and that the debt is only 112,000 euros

(...) "The boat has an arrest for a debt of EUR 112,562 in March 2008 that is owed by the previous owner, Flamek International, because it is a debt prior to the date of sale," explained CEO of Quail Cruises, Alfonso Lopez, in a statement to EuropaPress.

Lopez insisted that the March 2008 date is earlier than the date of purchase by Quail Cruises' and stressed that the contract stipulated that in case of debts prior to that date should be borne by the seller and all technical defects of the vessel prior to the date of 1 June 2008.

Therefore, the amount in Genoa it is not the responsibility of Quail Cruises, because the ship is being repaired due to technical deficiencies prior to the date of purchase," he explained.
(...)

In a different paper it was also said that M/V New Pacific and M/V Gemini operate as normal, and are occupied 91% and 87% respectively.

Anyway, I'm quite currious what the future will bring for M/V Pacific.

Finally, those of you who are interested in recent pictures of the Pacific will find many here on Photobucket.

soedergren

John

Deckhand
Thanks for the update. It is always interesting to hear what really goes on rather than the alarmist headlines.

Neil

Deckhand
Hi soedergen

Many thanks for the news update on the cruise ship mv Pacific .

This report makes very interesting reading.

As the Italian Coast Guards are now involved I doubt if the ship will be released until the money owed to the Italian ship yard is paid by someone !

Neil

Deckhand
New Picture !

A new picture of the cruise ship Pacific which still remains laid up at Genoa.

Her future remains unknown.
28.02 pacific at genoa.jpg

Neil

Deckhand
A new picture of the mv Pacific in Genoa which was taken this month.

She has some of her lifeboats and launches on the quayside !
24.07 PACIFIC AT GENOA  05.07.10.jpg

wobie

Deckhand
Latest news from Genoa is that the mv Pacific remains tied up in the port of Genoa
I saw MV PACIFIC in Genoa last week, i love this boat, I was on her in 2004 with Pullmantur, i hope they will do something good with this boat, i dont want her to die ! :bawling:

Neil

Deckhand
Hi Wobie

Welcome to the cruisingtalk website.

I knew this ship when she was one of the ' Love Boats ' and sailing as the original Pacific Princess for Princess Cruises in the 1970's.

There seems to be an arguement about who is paying for the work that has so far been done on her.

Quail Cruises are reported as saying it was down to the previous owner of this ship and there it seems to remain with nobody paying anything !

Lets hope it is sorted or she could finish up getting used for spare parts to keep her sister ship mv Discovery sailing.

mv Discovery was the original Island Princess.

If you have any questions to ask or news on the ship please feel free to post it..

Welcome aboard.

DIRTYBIT

Deckhand
m.v. PACIFIC

Any word on the Pacific, is she for sale, it looks really rough in the new photo online. what a shame..

DIRTYBIT

Deckhand
Me TOO!!!my favourite ship of all time. The big companies can keep their lego ships, I luv the Pacific..With a little work and a facelift she could be a winner, they did it to the ex island princess now Discovery. i hope if the ship does go up for sale, somehow we could get all ship enthusiasts to buy her and redo her complete.

Neil

Deckhand
Reports suggest that she has corrosion in the lifeboat davits or where they are fitted to the ships supstructure.

These sort of repairs will require major work on the ship which may not be worth the costs.

It can be seen in the picture that her lifeboats have been removed !

Neil

Deckhand
Ex PACIFIC PRINCESS FOR SALE

Reports have appeared today that the 1972 built ex ' Love Boat ', now named Pacific, is to be offered for sale by an Italian ship broker.

Bids should be above 3.4 million Euros and be in by the 2nd February 2011.

It is reported that major repairs are still needed to her lifeboat davits.

Neil

Deckhand
Sale Halted !

Latest news on the mv Pacific is that the planned Auction, sale of her for which bids closed on the 4th February 2011, has been halted until the 14th February by a court order.

This is as a result of an appeal by Templeton International, of the Bahamas, who are reported as being the owners of the ship.

It is also reported that the auction sale of the ship is nothing to do with Quail Cruises who are not responsible for the debts and only had her on charter !