• Hello visitor!

We are happy to see you have stopped by and hope you will consider registering with our community. Whether you have a question related to an upcoming cruise or just want to meet other fellow cruisers, you are always welcome!

Hope to see you on the forums soon!

The CruisingTalk Coffeeshop

Ally

Deckhand
5 cruises booked and 2 in the pipeline (well a 21 night b2b) maybe in the summer of 2008 :)

I am addicted...I admit it openly....the bank balance has never been the same since I caught this addiction :crap: :laughalot:

alphakitty

Deckhand
Pretty much the same here Ally! Ski operators are hurting. In New Hampshire where Chuck lives, it's a big time ski area in winter, but not this year. I found this interesting....a blog entry from an intern atop Mt. Washington, which is the highest peak in the North Eastern US. At 6280 feet, it's still a midget compared to most mountains, but it has some of the worst weather in the world usually, especially in winter.

Sunday January 7, 2007

Yesterday, with the lack of snow up here, true winter depression had set in. Being on the summit of Mount Washington and not seeing any snow in January is very disheartening. Then waking up to the temperature in the forties yesterday was just the icing on the cake. Last night, with winds up in the eighties Jim took Brent and I outside to test our sea (actually- wind) legs. Luckily for us, the tower blocked the brunt of the wind and all the ice had melted off the deck, so we did considerably well.

It was nice to wake up this morning and not be able to see out of the windows because of all the rime ice build up. It is beginning to feel a little like winter again. Hopefully, today will usher in a new trend of weather as a high pressure system moves into the area (what harm can a little bit of positive thinking do), and we can get rid of all the slush puddles that have been all over the summit the past couple of days.

Observer Note: Yesterday the summit broke the daily record high, with a temperature of 43 degrees. This broke the old record of 37, set in 1946. This was only 4 degrees below the all time high for January of 47, set on January 19th, 1995.

Jackie Johnson – Summit Intern

Ally

Deckhand
The forecasters say that 2007 will be even warmer.....2006 was the warmest year since records began. Although, tbh, I can't say I felt too much warmth on this side of the pond last summer :rolleyes:

BoHunk

Deckhand
It was horrible hot here...in Minnesota. It is usual for us to get hot and humid but then usually the weather breaks with a big thunder storm and it cools down....we never got the storms...just stayed hot and muggy...

alphakitty

Deckhand
I hear that Ally....I just tried to convince my DH that I needed another cruise. A friend's 50th bday in March and I want on that Elation itinerary. But.....he said I have too many booked already with the Triumph next month, Girls on Water and Liberty next year. :bawling: I might have to consider going back to work so I can pay for my own.....<considering> Ok, forget that idea. LOL

Ally

Deckhand
I wish I could work. I was medically retired in 1989 at 25.....my cruises are paid for by saving up as much of my disability money as I can. It isn't easy, but cruising is something I love doing and that makes it worthwhile :)

alphakitty

Deckhand
I wish I could work. I was medically retired in 1989 at 25.....my cruises are paid for by saving up as much of my disability money as I can. It isn't easy, but cruising is something I love doing and that makes it worthwhile :)
Awww... Ally...that is quite young to be medically retired. Sorry to hear that. Ok, now I'm feeling a little guilty about not working which I do sometimes feel. I was (still am??) an emotional wreck after my last job though...I should just suck it up, but since I don't have to....I don't. 20 years in one place and they abruptly gave me the boot one day. 2 weeks severance pay was the (insulting) icing on the cake!

Ally

Deckhand
It's nice to be appreciated when at work...and being discarded after such a long time must have been awful.

FlRic

Deckhand
Gooood Mornin' from the sunny south. We will have a high of only 73 today but then the temps start going back towards the 80's tomorrow. We have no Red Tide this year so y'all come down, ya heah? Of course, if you do decide to come down let me know in advance so I can go up North to prevent the planet from tippin' over on it's axis........:rolleyes:

alphakitty

Deckhand
Karyn, you know I can't resist answering these inquiring questions of yours. :)

Red tide is a common name for a phenomenon known as an algal bloom, an event in which estuarine or marine algae accumulate rapidly in the water column, or "bloom". These algae, more correctly termed phytoplankton, are microscopic, single-celled, plant-like organisms that can form dense, visible patches near the water's surface. Certain species of phytoplankton contain photosynthetic pigments that vary in color from green to brown to red, and when the algae are present in high concentrations, the water appears to be colored red. Not all algal blooms are dense enough to cause water discoloration, and not all discolored waters associated with algal blooms are red. Additionally, red tides are not typically associated with tidal movement of water, hence the preference among scientists to use the term algal bloom.

The term "red tide" is most often used to describe a particular type of algal bloom common to the eastern Gulf of Mexico, and is also called "Florida red tide". This type of bloom is caused by a species of dinoflagellate known as Karenia brevis, and these blooms occur almost annually along Florida waters. The density of these organisms during a bloom can exceed tens of millions of cells per liter of seawater, and often discolor the water a deep reddish-brown hue. more...........

Red tide - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

alphakitty

Deckhand
LOL Lisa...way to change the subject. No crying. Ok, details. I don't need much encouragement there. LOL

My son fibbed that he had to use the toilet and asked his gf to wait for him. They were at the base of the Eiffel Tower. Unknown to her he was really scouting the crowd for a few Americans to take the disposable cameras he'd brought and take pictures for him. He found a crowd of young people who were very happy to help. As they walked the block or so back to his gf, the camera people fanned out among the crowd. They also were whispering to others to come along and watch this guy ask his gf to marry him, so a crowd started to gather around them. His gf was not aware of any of this. It was just hitting midnight and my son takes the ring out of his pocket and gets down on one knee and tries to say something that makes sense. He said "I was hoping you'd agree to be my wife." She says "Are you kidding me?????, Are you kidding me?????" Someone in the crowd yells...."say yes!!!!" and then she does say yes and he puts the ring on her. Someone in the crowd yells again, "Kiss her", and he does and the crowd of about 50-60 people all start cheering! Many people come up and shake hands and hug and offer congratulations. A British couple congratulate them and give them a bottle of champagne. Someone threw confetti. He said it was perfect.

Now if I could just see those pictures....LOL He hasn't shown them to me yet!

gottabecruisin

Deckhand
omg
that is so sweet..... So beautiful... How many times have you cried ?

Heck I bought my own darn ring and asked him to marry me or get out.....LOL

alphakitty

Deckhand
LOL Lisa!! My hubby wasn't very romantic either, but at least I didn't buy my own ring. ;)

It was very sweet....how many times have I cried...let's see...on the phone when he told me, on the phone when I told friends and family (4 times)....at the airport when I picked them up and at the pool when I told all the ladies I swim with....so that's ...hmm, a lot! LOL