• Hello visitor!

We are happy to see you have stopped by and hope you will consider registering with our community. Whether you have a question related to an upcoming cruise or just want to meet other fellow cruisers, you are always welcome!

Hope to see you on the forums soon!

The CruisingTalk Coffeeshop

We are experiencing the worst snow in 25 years here in Northern Ireland. Looks lovely but it just about brings the country to a standstill. Webcam on the outskirts of Belfast -

Sorry to hear your getting hit so hard this year. We only had a bit of snow once but now we have solid ice everyday which is terrible too.
Hope you have a means to stay warm in case you loose power.
Keep us posted on how your doing.

Hard to believe winter isnt officially even here yet.:hoh:

Kathy

Captain Larry

Deckhand
We're having a heat wave...temperature is UP to 29 F today! The last time the temp was above freezing here was on 04 December...13 days of constant sub-freezing temperatures. We're not getting any new snow but then none is melting. It is compacting so that we hnow have a mere one or two inches of ground cover, and all the roads are basically bare. The latest snowfall in our area stayed about 40 miles south of us. For the coming few days it will be east of us, near the coast. Mary (Alphakitty) will be getting it soon. Sorry about that, Mary.

Less than three months 'til we go to Sicily and Malta. Just eight months to wait for the Baltic cruise. I'll be doing my part to keep the European economy going in 2011. Sorry, no contributions to the UK this trip.

caravellajn

Deckhand
Great pictures, Kathy. The last two times we stayed at Pop we were close to the Roger Rabbit. My favorite place to stay is close to Hour Glass lake in the yo-yo buildings. I like to sit on a bench on the bridge and read. It's so peaceful back there. The airline losing your luggage is a bummer. Hopefully it will still show up.

Your mail swap sounds fun, Mary. If I could swap with someone it would be a sister of Joe's who makes these yummy ball things with different stuff inside...truffles? My diswasher decided to stop working a couple of weeks ago, so instead of replacing it right away, I decided to see how long I can handle washing them by hand. :eek: It's not terrible, but I bet I don't hold out much longer. So now my dishwasher is being used to hold the dishes while they dry. Do you mind doing the dishes by hand?

Love the pretty snow pics from the UK and Ireland. We still have patches of white in the yards but we're expecting four 40+ degree days. It felt so cold out this morning while we were doing some grocery shopping.

The girls are going to a birthday sleep over at my sister's tonight so I'm in for a peaceful evening. :) I'm going to try to finish up a Disney scrapbook I've been working on for a Christmas gift for my SIL (she came with me and the girls on our Halloween Disney trip).

Hope your all staying warm.
Neva

Neil

Deckhand
Hi Kathy

Some great pictures posted.

Many thanks.

Driving today was not too bad as most of the main roads have had salt and grit added which keeps them clear but a lot of the side roads do not get treated which is where you can have a problem.

Expecting a low temperature of about 24 f tonight.

Neil

Deckhand
Good Morning everyone from a snowy Luton. :crap:

It has just started to fall again and is expected to increase through the day.

Temeratures will be about 29 f today dropping back to around 20 f tonight.

Gatwick airport has been closed but at present our local airport at Luton remains open although a lot of flights are affected by the weather.

Just off to do some shopping before we get too much of the snow.

I too am heading out after I do laundry to finish up my shopping. It will be crowded but thats ok, it is the season for crowds.:)
My cold seems better today accept the cough so I hope the cold rainy weather wont make it worse while I am out.

Back sometime this weekend with a few more photos.

Kathy

Captain Larry

Deckhand
We went to our local shopping mall last evening. Our community chorus is led by and accompanied by friends and several other friends are singers. They sang Handel's Messiah surrounding one of the atria and adjacent to the food court. There were probably 60 or 70 singers and they did a great job. I just listened (and applauded) and did not sing this time. It was fun and well received.

The mall was very crowded, at least the common areas were. The stores were not really that crowded. The common area of the mall, especially on weekends, is the preferred gathering spot for middle and senior high school students. They were there in droves! But, except for food and beverages, they don't buy much.

We bought some Christmas greeting cards that are now on sale for about 60% off the original price. We bought a counter-top toaster-oven for one of our daughters. We bought, for ourselves, a painting of two birds, cardinals (red birds) sitting on snowy branches. The difference is that the painting is done on flagstone slabs. The artist tried to explain how it is done, but lost me early in the discussion. All I know is we like it and it is now sitting on a table in our sitting room.

Neil

Deckhand
The weather in Luton, which is about 30 miles north of London, took a turn for the worse from about Noon and we have had snow falling since then.

I was going to use my car to go out shopping about 13.45 hrs but finished up getting our four wheel drive Isuzu out the yard as our road was about four inches deep with snow.

Picture of our road and my garden about 15.00 hrs today and the M1 motorway about 16.00 hrs today.

Many cars have been struck on the motorway for over four hours.
18.12 SNOW 2.JPG
18.12 SNOW 4.JPG
18.12 M1 16.00 HRS.jpg
18.12 M1 16.05 HRS.jpg

Larry, our mall wasnt very crowded in the stores either.
I finished my shopping really quick. We often have high school choirs and bands perform at our malls and they are quite good. I love stoppong and listen to them perform.

Neil,
boy I'm glad I dont live in your neighborhood. Its beautiful but also looks so cold. We have lots of rain tonight and I think our lows will be about 35 so we shoundt get any of the white stuff like you, at least not yet.

I bought a few things for baking some Christmas cookies next week.
Hope everyone here feels up to eating some. Greg has caught this cold back again this weekend, so he isnt feeling good at all .

Well off to watch the old Miracle on 34th street. I love that old show.

Good night everyone,

Kathy

Neil

Deckhand
We have another very cold start to the day in Luton.

Temperatures during the day are only expected to reach 24 f and drop back to 19 f tonight. :crap:

Main roads in our area which have been gritted are drivable but the side roads are still packed with snow.

Picture of the local M 1 motorway just downloaded.

19.12 M1.jpg

alphakitty

Deckhand
hi everyone :)

nice to be back up and running. It's going to be a busy week for me with last minute shopping, groceries and cooking/baking. I love it though...fun times.

Yesterday, Ken and I had brunch with my son and his wife at a little diner near his house and then we took a nice drive over the bridge to Newport. It's a pretty little town and even more so with the Christmas decorations up. We drove along the ocean and then up to see all the mansions, but just from the outside. ;) It was a nice day.

It's cloudy and cold today, only 27F. Feels like snow, but the storm went east of us out over the ocean, so we are just getting an occasional flurry. I don't mind a bit. I can do without a white Christmas. I see on the news that the UK is getting clobbered with snow. I feel bad for anyone not able to get home or to their holiday plans.

Hope everyone is doing great, almost finished with their Christmas shopping and enjoying this special time of the year with family and friends. :)

John

Deckhand
The snow is falling again.

The temps today dropped to -11C.

Coming home from work the roads were gridlocked as everyone is in a rush to get home before the next snowfall.

Morning all,
here are a few more photos of our trip.

This is a large gingerbread and chocolate carousel. It does turn and plays music. It was in the lobby of a resort.

On the corners of the fence was 2 small gingerbread displays.
One was Snow White and her castle.

The other was a tree house with Chip and Dale

Not sure how well you can read this sign but it has the amounts of ingredients it took to make this display.

This is the stern wheeler boat we took to the Magic Kingdom one morning.

As you can see it wasnt crowded. Many didnt brave the cold of the boat on the water. They used the Monorail.

bronze statue of Disney and Mickey in front of the castle.

More photos soon.

Kathy

alphakitty

Deckhand
The snow is falling again.

The temps today dropped to -11C.

Coming home from work the roads were gridlocked as everyone is in a rush to get home before the next snowfall.
Hi John....oh no! more snow? :bigeek: I think you've all had enough already.

alphakitty

Deckhand
Great photos Kathy...though the links didn't work, I cut and pasted the address and that did. I hope it warms up in Florida before I get there next month. :)

BTW...tonight there will be a total eclipse of the moon with great viewing here in North America. I think I'll miss it since it's in the middle of the night from approx. 1AM until 4AM EST. :roflmao:

BBC News - Skywatchers set for lunar eclipse

Neil

Deckhand
Hi Mary

John lives about 12 miles from me so we get much the same weather. :crap:

Pictures below of the local motorway this morning which I could not get up earlier.

Having not moved my own car for three days it now looks like an igloo on the driveway with its covering of snow and ice.

Put up some more of my Christmas decorations today.

Picture shows the small slim line optic fibre christmas tree which fits in a corner.

Will have the gas fired heating system running all night and the electric underblanket on so should be nice and warm when I go to bed.

Click on home picture for larger version.

20.12 M1.jpg
20.12 LOUNGE AREA 3.JPG

caravellajn

Deckhand
Is it really almost Christmas? The time is flying by. I (like everybody else) have so much to do and little time to do it. :crap: This week will be crazy!

The girls are going to see Tron in Imax tonight with DS23. Brianna saw it Friday at the regular theater and loved it. Maybe I'll get a few gifts wrapped tonight while they're gone.

Wow...you folks in the UK are getting a bunch of snow. Is this an unusual amount or just the norm for you?

We were at 50 this afternoon, but are expecting snow for Christmas Eve. We may have ice Thursday, but we're right on the line between ice and rain so hopefully we land on the rain side of things.

Hope you all are having a wonderful Christmas holiday!
Neva

:merryxmas:

John

Deckhand
The snow in the UK is quite unusual for us, especially in the South. We normally get a dusting which lasts a couple of days.

Neil

Deckhand
Hi Neva

I think the last bad falls of snow we had was about 1981 !

Our temperatures will be going down to about 24 f tonight but with the main heating on and my electric under blanket on all night as well I should be nice and warm. :hoh: