• Hello visitor!

We are happy to see you have stopped by and hope you will consider registering with our community. Whether you have a question related to an upcoming cruise or just want to meet other fellow cruisers, you are always welcome!

Hope to see you on the forums soon!

T/N FLAVIA ex MEDIA

Mrslinarcos

Deckhand
Built at the same yard where TITANIC was, this beautiful small liner begin sailing for Cunard as the MEDIA, her sister was the PARTHIA. I had the pleasure of sailing on her as the FLAVIA, an excellent ship for the three/four day runs out of Miami to Nassau and back. The food and service were five star, she remained with Costa Line until the mid 1980s and was sold to a company in Asia. While being converted, she caught fire and listed, she was scrapped. The sale of the FLAVIA was a huge shock to us as travel agents, it was one of Costa's favored ships at the time. Below is a photo of her. Has anyone sailed on her when she was the MEDIA?

The photos below are from a Costa Line booklet you could get onboard the ship. This is from my own collection.
FLAVIA1.jpg
FlaviaCocktail.jpg
FlaviaOutside2.jpg
Galleria and Pursers Desk.jpg
FlaviaFloridianaRest.jpg
Riviera Lounge & Card Room.jpg

L

lancashire lass

Wonderful photos Deborah. I never sailed on her but I love the photo of the ladies in their dresess and that twin cabin, big enough for two without bumping into each other or crawling over the other body!
Nice size ship in my opinion. Thanks for posting them.

Warner Athey

Deckhand
The Falvia was the first ship that I have ever taken a cruise on. We went from Miami and stayed 3 days in Nassau. I don't think there is a cruise ship in the world that would let you stay in Nassau for 3 days now. Today they like to hopscotch you around. You are lucky if you get to stay even 1 night. The ship seemed like a big ship at the time. By todays standards it would be small and old, but I loved it. I remember the food being very good. They gave us 4 meals a day, breakfast, lunch, dinner and midnight snack. While you were waiting in line for the midnight snack they would come by with trays of pizza. They didn't have a theater like they have on cruise ships now. They did have a band and a dance floor. When the band would take a break a comedian would come on and tell some jokes. I still love cruising. The ships are a lot better now but they need better itineraries. Too bad we don't have a cruise out of Miami to South America for 2 weeks. It looks like they just want to take you to the same place over and over. It would be nice to go some place different. Thanks for posting the pictures of the Flavia. I wish I had taken more pictures.

haroldwilliams

Deckhand
The Falvia was the first ship that I have ever taken a cruise on. We went from Miami and stayed 3 days in Nassau. I don't think there is a cruise ship in the world that would let you stay in Nassau for 3 days now. Today they like to hopscotch you around. You are lucky if you get to stay even 1 night. The ship seemed like a big ship at the time. By todays standards it would be small and old, but I loved it. I remember the food being very good. They gave us 4 meals a day, breakfast, lunch, dinner and midnight snack. While you were waiting in line for the midnight snack they would come by with trays of pizza. They didn't have a theater like they have on cruise ships now. They did have a band and a dance floor. When the band would take a break a comedian would come on and tell some jokes. I still love cruising. The ships are a lot better now but they need better itineraries. Too bad we don't have a cruise out of Miami to South America for 2 weeks. It looks like they just want to take you to the same place over and over. It would be nice to go some place different. Thanks for posting the pictures of the Flavia. I wish I had taken more pictures.
I`m always looking to see if there is a popular priced ship that lets you spend 3 days in Nassau , or another port, besides Bermuda. It takes time to see, and visit.You can only do so much in one day.