1. Hello visitor!

We are happy to see you have stopped by and hope you will consider registering with our community. Whether you have a question related to an upcoming cruise or just want to meet other fellow cruisers, you are always welcome!

Hope to see you on the forums soon!

State Of Madras

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by goldenvenus, Dec 29, 2007.

1. goldenvenus

goldenvenus Deckhand

Dear Friends,

This is my first post in Cruising Talk. I am from Singapore and aged 53. Back in 1965 I sailed to India aboard the State Of Madras and the journey from Singapore to Madras (Chennai) took seven days. I would appreciate any information on what happened to the ship and even a picture or two of that ship.

Regards.

Goldenvenus

2. Lioness

Lioness Moderator

Welcome to you. I have tried to find this ship, but can only find one or two mentions

Jaljawahar (1) 1948 1954 sold to The Shipping Corporation of India renamed State of Madras. I will keep looking

3. Lioness

Lioness Moderator

I have found a picture - this is what she was called before being renamed State of Madras

Jaljawahar-01

4. Lioness

Lioness Moderator

Hi there - well finally found it.

Here is the listing and history Miramar Ship Index

Let;s see if this will copy

Single Ship Report for "1174194"

IDNo: 1174194 Year: 1948 Name: JALJAWAHAR Launch Date: 30.9.47 Type: Passenger/cargo Date of completion: 9.48 Flag: GBR Keel:

Tons: 8784 Link: 1488 DWT:
    Yard No: 1757 Length overall:
    Ship Design:
    LPP:
    Country of build:
    Beam:
    Builder: Swan Hunter WR Material of build:
    Location of yard: Wallsend Number of
    screws/Mchy/
    Speed(kn):

Owner as Completed: Scindia SN Co Ltd, Bombay Naval or paramilitary marking :
    A: * End: 1973
    Subsequent History:

54 STATE OF MADRAS
    Disposal Data:

BU Bombay 28.8.73

5. Ally

Ally Deckhand

Welcome to the family :)

I have managed to find out about your ship. Took some digging as she had changed her owner/name.

However...

State of Madras was originally called Jaljawahar and owned by Scindia Steam Navigation Company....

Scindia S.N. Co.

According to the listing, she was launched in 1948 and sold in 1954, name changed to State of Madras.

Having looked her up via Google under her original name, she was scrapped in 1973.

I have managed to find just one photo of her...

Old Ships J
    Jaljawahar-02.jpg

6. goldenvenus

goldenvenus Deckhand

Dear Jean,

Thank you very much for your assistance in finding out what happened to the ship State Of Madras and the accompanying photo. I have also located photos and information on some other ships that plied the Singapore to India route back in the sixties and the seventies. One was Rajula of which there were five pictures on a NZ website and another was M V Chidambaram of which there was one picture. I can now see how effective this forum is.

7. Lioness

Lioness Moderator

Hi Joseph, glad we were able to help - from what I have learned from our e-mail, you might also enjoy this other forum which is to do with airlines and flying.

AirTravelTalk.com - Powered by vBulletin

8. goldenvenus

goldenvenus Deckhand

Dear Jean,

Thank you for that link. I have quickly joined it.

Regards.

Joseph.C.Pereira

9. Kenniy

Kenniy Deckhand

HI, TO THIS ADMIN . I KINDLY REQUEST YOU TO HELP ME ON ONE DETAIL WHICH COULD CHANGE MY FATHER'S LIFE.
    My father name is Ivan Marshall ( Birth name : ivan madhavan) ... he was born in singapore in 1953 and was sent to india with his adopted parent Mr. Feliz Benzegar Marshall & Victoria Marshall in the ship State of madras or the ship called regula/ rejula in 1958 or 1959 . The reason being is my father was a child and he vaguely remembers the exact year. Mr. Feliz Benzegar Marshall & Victoria Marshall passed away three decades ago. My father [ by god's miracle] got in touch with his original biological family after 40 years ( Only brothers) but still haven't met his biological mother. He wanted to travel to singapore but he is not given a passport yet since the authorities want one evident document ( even a register of his name in a book before boarding the ship back in 1958 . Right now what i want is to know if such records are still kept anywhere like archive or something. ? If so where ? How to find them ? who will have these archives of books or sheets or slips?.. This can help my father meet my grandmother . My dad is 63 now and he hasnt met his mom.Please help