1. Hello visitor!

We are happy to see you have stopped by and hope you will consider registering with our community. Whether you have a question related to an upcoming cruise or just want to meet other fellow cruisers, you are always welcome!

Hope to see you on the forums soon!

ss.ranchi

Discussion in 'Cruise Ships of the Past' started by gerry, Dec 15, 2006.

1. Peter Miebies

Peter Miebies Deckhand

Hi Mea, in the meantime I spotted you on FB. You have probably seen my message there.

2. Hi June.

National archives website has the passenger lists. It may nit yet be digitalised so you may have to request it to be. Let me know if you need a hand with it.

3. National archives have the passenger records.

4. jdrew43

jdrew43 Deckhand

I came out to Australia on the SS Ranchi also in March 1952. I came with my parents and remember it quite well.

Sent from my SM-T355Y using Tapatalk

5. Neil

Neil Deckhand

Great to see new people who travelled on the ' ss Ranchi ' still posting on here.

I joined P & O in late 1950 as a Bell Boy and was lucky enough to sail on their newly built
    ship the ' ss Chusan ' which then operated from the UK to Hong Kong and also did some UK
    cruises in our summer months.

I must say having five days in Hong Kong between the outward and homeward voyages so
    the outward cargo, mail, and sometimes bullion etc be unloaded and then new cargo loaded after
    the hold areas were cleaned by the local chinese labour gave a 16 year old a chance to
    find out a lot about the night time attractions then in Hong Kong as we could stay out all night ! lol

In 1952 I moved to the ' 'ss Stratheden ' and when we arrived in Sydney we would be there for
    about eight days with no passengers on board and the outward cargo etc being off loaded and then
    new cargo mainly for the UK being loaded so again plenty of time to see the sights or visit friends.

With no cargo or mail on the new cruise ships they are in and out of ports as quick as possible so
    the passengers are trapped on these massive ships and spending more money on board and making even
    more profit for the companies to build bigger and bigger ships which are now more of an amusement
    park with a hotel rather than a proper cruise ship with one even having a bumper car track added !

With the shorter times in port now this also results in many of the crew seeing little of the ports of call.