• Hello visitor!

We are happy to see you have stopped by and hope you will consider registering with our community. Whether you have a question related to an upcoming cruise or just want to meet other fellow cruisers, you are always welcome!

Hope to see you on the forums soon!

ss.ranchi

Neil

Deckhand
Hi Mae

Welcome to the cruisingtalk website.

As you were born on a British owned and registered ship I would have thought that you could have British nationality unless there was a way for your parents to register the details somewhere else due to you having to leave Indonisia.

Sheila B

Deckhand
I came to Australia on the SS Ranchi 17 July 1948
I am so happy my parents chose this country , what a wonderful choice.

Neil

Deckhand
Hi Sheila B

Great to see another new member who went to Australia on the ss Ranchi.

If you have any questions to post, please feel free to do so.

Welcome aboard.

karena50

Deckhand
Hi Neil I have the same pic of the above with me which my grand-dad sent my nana when he left from Bombay, India in Aug 1946 for UK after that no contact...hw can i find the passengers list on board at that time...wud be of gr8 help to me...thanks....
Karena

Neil

Deckhand
Hi kerena50

You have not mentioned where you are living at present.

On most P & O voyages a printed passenger list was placed in passengers cabins showing all people on that ships voyage.

There was often updated printed slips available which showed passengers who joined at the various ports.

I do not know of a central library or museum which would hold copies of these lists still but there might be some in certain areas.

Sometime these type of things do appear for sale on Ebay in the shipping memorabilia section.

If you have any other questions to ask please feel free to post them.

Welcome aboard.

Neil

Deckhand
New picture of the P & O passenger ship ss Ranchi in 1947 after she had just finished her wartime duties..
20.05 ranchi 1947 malta.jpg

alcoombes

Deckhand
I came to Australia from England on board the ss ranchi in 1950. I had my 6th birthday on the ship. I am lookng for the passenger records for my self and my family. Can someone help me as to where to start looking. Please:rolleyes:
I also came to Australia on the Ranchi, arriving in melbourne on "Melbourne cup day" 1951. Had my 4th bithday on board. I am also looking for passenger lists. Info from What my parents told me we came through the Suez Canal and broke down, blocking the canal for a week...

Alan Coombes

Neil

Deckhand
Hi alcoombes

As I have mentioned before on most P & O voyages to Australia there was often a passenger list printed but if any of those lists are still about is doubtful.

Sometimes lists have turned up for sale on the UK Ebay website but you may need to check the Ebay website in Australia on a regular basis to see what is advertised .

If you have any other question please feel free to post them.

Welcome aboard.

P & O have now set up an historical website, on the companies history, and it contains some of the records they still hold.

The collection is being added to all the time.

Link to the website is below -

The official collection of P&O's History

kirst

Deckhand
my Dad

My Dad came to Australia on the SS Ranchi and landed in Sydney June 1951 the second last trip for the ship. He told me it took 3 months to get here as it kept breaking down. He wants passenger lists and photos so I rang department of immigration in Australia and because its been more than 30 years i had to ring the national archives. They are currently looking for the passenger list and told me to go to their web site and look for photos. So for the Australians looking for information on this ship please contact the national archives or visit their web site www.naa.gov.au. I also contacted P & O and they told me it was scraped and as a result all information they would have had would have been sent to museums and state libraries

Kirsty B

Neil

Deckhand
Hi kirsty

Around the time your Dad travelled on ss Ranchi there was also the ss Chitral, RMS Moultan and RMS Moloja on the P & O services to Australia.

All of these ships had a black hull with stone colour superstructure and also two funnels.

We do get many requests for information about passengers lists from those days so many thanks for the link to the Australian government website you have provided.

If you have any other question to post please feel free to do so.

Welcome aboard.

OceanBreeze13

Deckhand
Seeing those old photos from the ship really brings you back in time. It's interesting how much of ships hasn't really changed; except probably the added features that technology has contributed.

mcdaid

Deckhand
ss ranchi 1952

I emigrated to Australia on the SS Ranchi, leaving London on the day the King died in 1952. I had my fourth birthday on board.
Would a voyage itinerary and passenger lists be available?

L

lancashire lass

Welcome to cruisingtalk. Perhaps a website like ancestors .UK would have some of that information.

mikecs

Deckhand
hi,
i also came to australia on that voyage. i can asure you that you can get passenger lists from the NAA but they dont contain much detail of interest. i suggest you also try for your immigration records as they should include records of interviews in the UK etc.
i was 8 at the time and have different memories of the trip to my mother who is now 90.
i wouls be pleased to exchange our recollections of the various parts of the trip.

regards

mike swain

SS "Ranchi" birth

I was born on this ship in 1950 on a voyage from Indonesia to the Netherlands. I was one of I was one of 22 born on that trip. The ship had been chartered by the Dutch government to evacuate Dutch citizens back to Holland after President Sukarno came into power. I now live in Australia. I would love to share information with anyone else out there that was also born on that or other similar voyages aboard the Ranchi.
Hi my name is George and I was born on the SS Ranchi Aufust 31st 1950. Sailing from Indonesia to ther Netherlands.

Bilby71

Deckhand
June Fenton

I came to Australia from England on board the ss ranchi in 1950. I had my 6th birthday on the ship. I am lookng for the passenger records for my self and my family. Can someone help me as to where to start looking. Please:rolleyes:
You can find passenger list for embarking 3/12/1949, disembarking at Melbourne 6/1/1950 on National Archives Australia.
Please post any pics or stories, etc on P&O SS Ranchi - £10 Poms page on Facebook.
Anyone else with anything on this particular voyage are most welcome. My mother, sister and parents came out then (Bolt). Hope to find you there.

Peter Miebies

Deckhand
SS "Ranchi" birth

I was born on this ship in 1950 on a voyage from Indonesia to the Netherlands. I was one of I was one of 22 born on that trip. The ship had been chartered by the Dutch government to evacuate Dutch citizens back to Holland after President Sukarno came into power. I now live in Australia. I would love to share information with anyone else out there that was also born on that or other similar voyages aboard the Ranchi.
Hi Mea, please see my blog Peter's Blog: And we call her Ranchita. There you can read all about that trip from Tandjong Priok to Amsterdam incl. the names of all newborns! Btw the number of newborns amounted to 37!

Peter Miebies

Deckhand
SS "Ranchi" birth

Mea, please let me know your last name or birth date. Tks, Peter