• Hello visitor!

We are happy to see you have stopped by and hope you will consider registering with our community. Whether you have a question related to an upcoming cruise or just want to meet other fellow cruisers, you are always welcome!

Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Spirit of London-Flamenco

Neil

Deckhand
Heading To The Breakers !

Reports have appeared that the 1972 built Spirit of London / Sun Princess / Flamenco 1 has been sold to ship breakers.

Since her last charter as an accommodation ship in New Caladonia she had been put under arrest at Singapore.

After an Admiralty Auction she was sold and has been anchored off the port of Klang in Malaya.

Picture below of her at anchor off of Klang.
18.10 FLAMENCO 1.jpg

hilifta

Deckhand
Does anybody have an update on her situation.
Has she arrived at Alang, or is she still anchored at Port Klang.

Neil

Deckhand
There has been no news since it was reported she was sold for breaking at Alang.

There has also been no information regardimg her arriving there.

When a ship is shut down it is not easy to track a ship when this happens.

scofen

Deckhand
Flamenco 1/Spirit of London

I ahve been actively following her.. But have no word and her whereabouts, if she has been been rescued from the breakers...It was my first cruise at 13...

How serious is she from ever being recertified? I know that she had a full makeover in 2008.. which included some mechanical.

Scott

Neil

Deckhand
Hi scofen

The ship has so far not appeared on any lists of ships arriving at Alang but there is always the chance she has been sold on to another shipyard to be broken up.

When was it you cruised on her as I was her hotel manager when she sailed as Spirit of London and Sun Princess.

Having been laid up since arriving under her own power at Singapore to start with and then near to Port Klang, following her use at a hotel ship in New Caledonia, I would think that unless her air conditioning had been kept running her interiors will have deteriorated.

Picture from my collection of me on the Sun Princess with the Chef.
SUN PRINCESS _0003.jpg

scofen

Deckhand
Greetings Neil

Flamenco

I'm sure you have seen the latest pics form 10/10 of Flamenco. Interior shots inculding galley and laundry.

I sailed as pax '73, I believe Chrichton? was master.. The SOL started my interest whihc led me to work aboard RCCL Nordic Prince as a purser in my 20s and eventually move shoreside. My ship exp inculde SOL IP PP, Cun Count, Song of Norway, Nordic Prince, Sun Viking Song of America.. Stardancer, in the early years. the Prince and Stardancer are two ships I worked in the Purser Dept. however the SOL has always had my heart.

Regards

Scott

Neil

Deckhand
Hi Scott

Many thanks for the link.

John Crichton was her Captain as was John Young.

Although it has been said that she has been sold to a ship breaker in India she has not appeared on the websites that list arrivals at Alang so all a little mystery.

Pictures of Captain John Crichton, with a beard, and Captain John Young with Princess Diana after the naming of the 1984 built Royal Princess,
21.05 John Crichton.jpg
21.05 john young with princess diana 2.jpg

meridian

Deckhand
Sun Princess/ Troubled Waters

Sadly, Peter Falk (columbo) passed away today. The entire Columbo episode "Troubled Waters" was filmed aboard. Patric Macnee was the fictional captain. Columbo's first name was never revealed, the ship's purser had asked "what is your first name?" -Columbo answers:"Leutenant"

:crap:

alanuk

Deckhand
The "Flamenco" has not gone to Alang. She is still anchored off Port Klang, as of last week, as confirmed by the Port Captain to my Technical Director in Singapore.
She has, however, changed to Tuvalu flag / registry, which is an omen.

Neil

Deckhand
With her being a complete cruise ship, although requiring some updating and re-certification, it is always possible that one of the new Chinese or other Far East cruising companies could show an interest in her.

Their costs of an update, to put her back into service, would be below the cost of having the work done in a European shipyard.

Her sister ship, which was built as Southward in 1971, now sails for Rio Cruises having been Louis Cruises ' The Aegean Pearl '.

starcruises

Deckhand
I believe that the new cruise lines would stay with one ship for a long time to come and no ships for them anytime soon (because they have to evaluate how well they are doing)

alanuk

Deckhand
Neil: It would be great to think the Chinese or a.n.other could save the Flamenco from the inevitable. There is a South African company interested in her, with ideas of towing her back to Durban for refitting. The problem is, like Pacific (but worse), she needs upward of US$ 22 million spent on her, replacing hull plates, tank tops, removing asbestos, overhauling all her machinery, bringing her back to class and SOLAS compliance, refurbishing, and the rest.

I think the Chinese did the wisest by purchasing Long Jie (ex Sun Viking), of the same era. That, at least, keeps these three sisters going.

The only other "classic" that now needs saving, apart from Pacific, is the beautiful, little Macau Success (ex Golden Odyssey). Here again, there is a NZ company interested, but they are dragging their feet.

Neil

Deckhand
Another ship I would like to see continue in service is the Louis Cruises ' mv Sapphire ' which has been laid up and advertised for sale.

She was one of the first stream lined designed cruise ships having entered service in 1967.

Picture of her below when sailing as Ocean Princess.
Ocean_Princess029.jpg

alanuk

Deckhand
Sapphire and Emerald.jpg

Yes, poor old Sapphire aka Ocean Princess. She has had such a troubled life; not just taking 4 years to build, but she doesn't look 47 years old. Some of her lower deck cabins (particularly inside) are a bit tight, but then again she is a small girl. A bargain for just US$ 9 million.

Not forgetting what may soon be the only trading steam powered cruise ship, and U.S. built at that. only the machinery and her hull give away her 1957 build. Another bargain for just US$ 9 million.

I grieve the loss of beautiful classics. We need more companies like Classic International Cruises.
Sapphire and Emerald.jpg

SHETLAND

Deckhand
Sapphire with a bit of updating here and there would make an excellent second ship for Swan Hellenic!

Small enough to get into all those nook and cranny places, Lord Sterling are you watching...:)

Richard

Neil

Deckhand
Hi Alanuk

Re steam turbine passenger ships, never forget the 38,772 grt Italian built ' ss The Oceanic ' which is now the Japanese Peace Boat and sails on about four round the world voyages from Japan each year.

At present she is on a 14 day non stop crossing of the Pacific Ocean from Ensenada, in Mexico, to Yokohama, Japan which is the last section of her present voyage.

When I last checked she was cruising at 18.5 knots. :eek:

She is scheduled to arrive in Yokohama on the 12th July and sail on her next voyage on the 17th July 2011.

On this forum I run a feature on her voyages.

Picture of her below -
Oceanic_2010-09-08_01.jpg

Neil

Deckhand
Latest news on the Flamenco is that there is some dispute between the owners of the ship and the buyer.

It appears the buyer thought they would be able to run her to a breakers yard but it appears some work is required on her engines as she has now been laid up for over two years.

At present she remains at anchor off the coast of Malaya.

Some pictures of her, which were taken in October 2010, show that there is not a great deal of work required in the main passenger areas for her to be used but the kitchen appears to need a re-fit.

It appears a skeleton crew are on board.
19.07 FlamencoBar_op_640x480.jpg
19.07 FlamencoLounge_op_640x480.jpg
19.07 FlamencoRestaurant_op_640x480.jpg
19.07FlamencoGalley_op_640x480.jpg

Neil

Deckhand
New Name And Owner

Latest news on the mv Flamenco is that she has been renamed.

Her new name from September 2011 is ' Ocean Dream '.

Her new owners are shown as ' Profit Summit Deluxe Cuises ', Shanghai !

She has been re-registered under the Sierra Leone flag.

Her exact position at present is not known.

Neil

Deckhand
Back in Service !

In recent days the ex ' Flamenco 1 ', which is now named ' Ocean Dream ', has been cruising off the Northern Chinese coast at between 6.8 and 13.6 knots.

This afternoon she anchored off the Chinese port of Xingang about 14.30 hrs.

It would appear that she is running on her own engines so could be returned to service by her new Chinese owners and maybe soon will need to be moved from the ' Ships of the Past ' section !

She entered service in 1972 as the Spirit of London for P & O Cruises.

hi there, my late father John Noakes was 1st Officer on this ship between 22/12/72 to 5/5/73. Does anyone have any memories of him or that time on board? I have a fair selection of old photos from his time onboard this wonderful looking vessel.

Here she is now by the way!

Last edited: