• Hello visitor!

We are happy to see you have stopped by and hope you will consider registering with our community. Whether you have a question related to an upcoming cruise or just want to meet other fellow cruisers, you are always welcome!

Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Ships Arrested !

Neil

Deckhand
My news comes from a very reliable source who in this case is an old friend of the owners of Majestic International Cruises and has been involved in the charter of their ships !

The at present laid up ' Ocean Countess ' is unlikely to affect the buying back of their old ship as she has a very good record of being reliable and completing long world cruises on time !

Lace

Deckhand
Has the Astor been renamed recently, I have been unable to find many reviews for it, we have booked a cruise on it so fingers crossed it doesnt go belly up too

Neil

Deckhand
Hi Lace

Any reviews about the ' Astor ' will be from the German market cruise review web sites which is where she operates at present.

Cruisefan

Deckhand
RE: ASTOR
On April 9th she arrived the frist time in Bremerhaven, where the entire Hotel Crew signed-off and was replaced by a new complement hired by Greek#s GLOBAL MARITIME GROUP. The PR premicon (Transocean Kreuzfahrten) send out was, that since C&VM had chartered the Astor for three winters, they had demanded a Hotel Crew to be on board who could serve the brits better (!?). Now what makes all this rather suspicious to me is a) Premicon - a finance comapny who owns the Astor - had a long relationship with the preious Managment/Catering outit, Swiss Gsell & partner.
BUT HERE IS MY THUGHT...since the five year charter of the MACO POLO ends in January 2014, vessel is also managed and owned by Global Maritime Group, and! Premicon is not making any money with the Astor, I would not be surprised if C&VM would not rehire the MP and instea take a full charter on the Astor.
Brokers are listing the Marco Polo for sale, asking price a modest US$ 29 and negotiable.
Gentlemen palce your bets!!!
Happy Cruising
Cruisefan
Astor_die_neue.jpg

Neil

Deckhand
With All Leisure Group who own ' Discovery ' , ( and have chartered her to CMV ) , having a reported poor financial year in 2102 and now selling their headquarters it does make you wonder who is linked to who with the operation of these old cruise ships..

With Astor previously operating on the German market it is understandable that an English speaking crew will be required for her Australian cruises.

I would love to see the new owner of the ' Athena ' put her back on the Australian market after the russian charter finishes and see who attracts the most passengers.

Many people in Australia know that CMV were involved in trying to find a replacement ship when the owners of Athena had financial problems so may not be too happy to cruise with them now !

It is very interesting that CMV are now planning to take over the Athena cruises with their own chartered ship after not coming up with a replacement ship for the ' Athena ' last November !

Cruisefan

Deckhand

With Astor previously operating on the German market it is understandable that an English speaking crew will be required for her Australian cruises.

True, but why change when the ship is not going to CMV for another 6 months or so?? does make you wonder, no?

Neil

Deckhand
Andrew -

There is no reason why the new owners of the ' Athena ' ship should not market her on the Australian market themselves !

It does not need to be a charter as the new owners are a very large and wealthy Portugese company with hotels and various other holiday interests.

Cruisefan

New ships crews need to be trained !.

You only have to look at what recently happened to the CMV chartered cruise ship ' Discovery ' when she failed the UK safety inspections at the UK port of Portland and could not sail due to having an untrained new crew on board.

Cruisefan

Deckhand
Andrew -

There is no reason why the new owners of the ' Athena ' ship should not market her on the Australian market themselves !

It does not need to be a charter as the new owners are a very large and wealthy Portugese company with hotels and various other holiday interests.

Cruisefan

New ships crews need to be trained !.

You only have to look at what recently happened to the CMV chartered cruise ship ' Discovery ' when she failed the UK safety inspections at the UK port of Portland and could not sail due to having an untrained new crew on board.

Seven months prior to commencment of the Charter in November? never heard of such a long period in my entire career (38 years!). somethins smells very fishiy to moi!!
Happy Cruising
Cruisefan

alanuk

Deckhand
Andrew: did your career begin the day you were born? You don't look 38 years old. Or have you posted a vintage image of yourself??

I have had an immediate buyer for "Athena" since she was arrested. But, at the time, Alex and Emilios wanted an unbelievably unrealistic price for the ship. I even now maintain contact with the Master and most of the former senior officers off "Athena".
Yes, we would re-introduce her back to Australia, but VERY differently / uniquely. She and her former staff have a massive loyalty following; more-so with and through our mutual friend Reubens.

Yes, Marco Polo has been on the S&P market for a while now, but with the provisio of delivery in 2015 and not before. Also, regardless of the CMV charter, "Astor" also remains on the S&P market.

Sad to see the images of "Princess Danae" arriving home in Lisbon last Sunday, looking the worse for ware after her long lay-up under arrest. I'm wondering if, now
her sister "Princess Daphne" has (rumoured to have ) been sold back to Monarch, whether Ambient Kreutzfahrt might take "Danae" instead?

All good news for the old ships. Better than looking at images of that "Quantum
Fairground of the Seas" with its bumper cars, sky diving and observation capsule.
What next? A giant roller coaster?? Aaargh!

Neil

Deckhand
Cruisefan

Did you ever work on a cruise ship ?

The crew do have leave periods so that has to be taken in to consideration when a cruise ship is being re-crewed.

More than one complete crew will be needed and may require training in the operation of all the safety equipment on board, including the ships lifeboats..

Andrew Gl

Deckhand
Alan,
Andrew: did your career begin the day you were born? You don't look 38 years old. Or have you posted a vintage image of yourself??
uniquote
And here I am? I don't understand. It is don't me reply.
Re: Ambiente, they will don't have any long term charter for sea vessel.
If You have any realistic work for Athena back for Australian market pls advice.

ClassicalSax

Deckhand
Sad to see the images of "Princess Danae" arriving home in Lisbon last Sunday, looking the worse for ware after her long lay-up under arrest. I'm wondering if, now
her sister "Princess Daphne" has (rumoured to have ) been sold back to Monarch, whether Ambient Kreutzfahrt might take "Danae" instead?

All good news for the old ships.
Indeed.
It looks like the CIC livery is already gone from the funnels, wonder if there is a new color scheme that will be applied to the ships - or if they will stay plain vanilla for charters.
I bet Danae will have a new paint job very soon - Funchal looks a little better in the latest pics.

Cruisefan

Deckhand
Cruisefan

Did you ever work on a cruise ship ?

The crew do have leave periods so that has to be taken in to consideration when a cruise ship is being re-crewed.

More than one complete crew will be needed and may require training in the operation of all the safety equipment on board, including the ships lifeboats..

RCI - NCL - BAHAMAS CRUISE LINE - FREEPORT CRUISE LINE - REGENCY CRUISES - RENAISSANCE CRUISES - V-SHIPS - PHOENIX REISEN BONN - COSTA CROCIERE - on board as well as manager positions ashore !!!! (including human resources).
that should asnwer your question, no?
Happy cruising
CruiseFan
www.seereisenportal.de
www.cruise-tube.de
www.cruiseshipportal.com