• Hello visitor!

We are happy to see you have stopped by and hope you will consider registering with our community. Whether you have a question related to an upcoming cruise or just want to meet other fellow cruisers, you are always welcome!

Hope to see you on the forums soon!

San Francisco Hotels et al

Liz

Deckhand
Would LOVE some advice here:mrgreen: I have never been to San Francisco:oops:

...thinking I might incorporate a couple of nights.....ONE full day ....into my Great Oz Adventure

Any suggestions on hotels and MUST DO'S would be greatly appreciated.

Kind of looking at the Argonaut Hotel on Fisherman's Wharf:confused: ROOM WITH A VIEW, a necessity:mrgreen: ....but higher, longer view would be fine, too

NJVIC

Deckhand
Hi Liz -

- you're better off staying down near the wharf since that is where most of the action is. Last fall we stayed close to China Town and although it was reasonable and comfortable it was a hike to get to most of the things you'll want to see.

As far as attractions most of it's all within walking distance at the wharf. Don't know if you're into visiting Alkatraz Island ( a short boat ride ) - but our former travel companions enjoyed it.

We also went to Ghiradelli's - very nice shops excellent chocolate and Ice Cream. In the center of Ghiradelli's is a plaza area where musicians will come and play (hopefully for so tips).

Also down at the wharf area is an old Arcade building with antique machines. It's facinating to see what we would call 'Boardwalk' games from a bygone era. They work and you can play many of them. Well worth the visit. There is also Hyde Pier where there is a paddle wheel boat. Several tourity places - wax museums, Ripleys Believe it or not. Another place to visit is the Coit Tower - this is a little bit of a walk, but there is a great view from up there.

Something that is fun is a cable car ride - best way to do this is to get on where it starts. This would be a very long walk from the wharf or preferably a cab ride. Sounds crazy to spend money to get there to spend money to get back - but it is a hike (we know). The cable car ride can take you right back to the wharf, a very enjoyable ride. They have a couple of different routes, but one can let you off at the top of Lombard Street (that steep curvy street you see in TV commercials). Then you would hopefully catch the next cable car down to the wharf area.

If you get a good taxi driver you may be able to talk him into passing the "Painted Ladies" for some pictures - these are the Victorian Style houses on a steep hill. They have been filmed in various commercials and TV programs. Russian Hill is a unique area of houses - very quiet.

If you like Sea Food there are some excellent places on the wharf to eat. If you don't (like me), make your way inland a few blocks and there is an area with an abundance of Italian restaurants - all good. Go to far and you wind up in China Town where you can buy just about anything. If you do get there go to the furthest end of China Town from the wharf and you will see The Gates. Great picture!

Well that's about all I can think of for now - I'll talk to Ann tonight and see if she remembers anything else.

Vic.

Liz

Deckhand
THANKS, VIC:luv: :luv: :luv:

I KNOW that this is a ways off yet, but planning makes it seem closer:green:

c-to-sea

Deckhand
Liz

For your first visit, you might take a look at either the Mark Hopkins or
The Fiarmont, at least for one night. I know they are pricey but they are
the history of SFO. You could have a nightcap at the Top of the Mark
and envision Tony Bennett singing his themesong. Then get back within your
budget nearer the wharf. Please eat some Dungeness crab for me while you
are there.

Liz

Deckhand
Argonaut does NOT look to be budget at all, .....but Fairmont DID survive the earthquake, did it not:confused: :mrgreen:

SOOOO MUCH to see, so little time, and moderate money:shock:

Thank, Cliff:luv:

SarahB

Deckhand
Liz

We stayed in San Fran last year after our Panama canal cruise and chose the Best Western Tuscan Inn Fisherman's Wharf. It's a moderately priced hotel and is in a great location (about 5 mins from the cruise terminal and Fishermans wharf)
The hotel was excellent value for money, extremely comfortable, and there's a great restaurant attatched which is also very reasonably priced (the breakfast there was amazing) so I would highly recomend it.

Loved San Fran BTW....AMAZING city :luv: :luv: :luv:

Dani

Deckhand
Hey, Robert,

I just woke up to the fact that you have two cruises in a row.

You happy little piggie ! Sulking corner, Big Time.

cclguy

Deckhand
Liz,

I like The Park Hyatt, everyone gay or straight must visit the Castro.
Buena Vista Park (accessed off Haight Street), has wonderful views of the city but there isn't much to do there but shop for trinkets.

Robert ( I love SF but you probably knew that already)

Dani

Deckhand
Robert,

Years ago there was a restored hotel in the Castro district.

Victorian I believe, don't know if it is still there.

Now some are going to think we are speaking of Fidel !

Liz

Deckhand
Will pose for cam at Sea Lions cam...will visit Castro:) , ...cable cars....Alcatraz...Sausalito....WILL DO, WILL DO:)

Possibly should plan on two days:joy:

Dani

Deckhand
Two days Madame, surely you jest ( don't call me Shirley )

You will have to pick verrrrry carefully , big city....lots to do...must sleep sometime.

If you take the cable car to Alcatraz and then on to Sausalito, that would kill a coupla birds. ( Whot, you can't take the cable car to Alcatraz, then what good is it ? )

Eau de Sea Lion is probably best not near your eating time. Big fat lazy smelly ....but loveable animals ! ( Not to offend the Sea Lion Lovers Society )

Carol

Deckhand
Priceline?

Maybe you could try Priceline closer to when you're going. I've seen great rates for the Hyatt Regency on Embarcadero, or any of the hotels in Union Square. If you stay in Union Square you can take the cable car to the Wharf, or a bus or a cab or walk. It's a great walk, if you like walking!
If you stay at the Hyatt you can walk to lots of places plus there is a trolley car that goes right down the Embarcadero you can jump on. I grew up very close to SF and go back quite frequently so let me know if I can help you find anything.
Carol

Verandakim

Deckhand
Liz,
Do check out the Fairmont, I'm not sure what kind of deal they will have in February, but occasionally they offer 79.00 rooms. Its worth checking into. I live in the east bay, across from S.F. & if you have time another fun thing to do is to take a little trip up to the napa valley..it's within an hours drive from san fransisco. All of the other recommondations sounds good too, I especially like to go to the north beach area for the italian food........I was born & raised in the san fransisco bay area and FINALLY got over to see alcatraz a few years back. Its a fun excursion, if the weather cooperates for you, February would be "iffy". You'll have fun, theres alot to do & see in san fransisco.
Kim