• Hello visitor!

We are happy to see you have stopped by and hope you will consider registering with our community. Whether you have a question related to an upcoming cruise or just want to meet other fellow cruisers, you are always welcome!

Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Samana looking to increase cruise traffic with investment in facilities

Ally

Deckhand
It has been reported that during a call by Explorer o/t Seas, the President of Dominican Republic Damilo Medina, boarded the ship and discussed at length the possibilities of investing in the port and its transport links to enable more ships to call at the port.

Currently the port infrastucture is weak, with very poor road links to other parts of the country. Royal Caribbean's VP, Michael Ronin, is said to be very keen to increase calls at Samana and that the cruise line is actively looking at possible development plans and investment.

More details can be found here : http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/tourism/2012/11/21/45827/Medina-Royal-Caribbean-talk-big-plans-for-Northeast-port

Has anyone been to Samana?

What investment do YOU feel that it needs, or do you think that whatever investment is made in the port could ruin it in some way?

Pam in CA

Captain
IMHO, the best way to visit the Dominican Republic is to stay at an all-inclusive resort. Much of the country has extremely poor roads (many of which aren't paved, are poorly paved, or a combination) and few tourist attractions. If a cruise port is built, RCI would have to build something that would have sufficient facilities for a good passenger experience at the port. Some sections of the Dominican Republic are better than others. The only poorer country I've been to in the Caribbean is the other side of the island, Haiti.

BOOPSAHOY

Deckhand
My 1/18 ncl cruise is stopping here. I had booked a beach excursion but I am reading a lot of not nice things about the island (and they took away antigua and tortola to give us THIS?) Anyone been there?

haroldwilliams

Deckhand
I think it would be effective to invest in the northern part of the island. I think a lot of folks visit Samana to watch the whales each year return. You can`t do that at a all-inclusive resort. At one time there was a great dock at Samana, but on my later visits, we tendered. They do need to spend some money on roads, and on it`s connection to other places on the island because Samana is somewhat removed from other places. It would be nice to have some connection to a good beach, but it is a poor area.

BOOPSAHOY

Deckhand
I think it would be effective to invest in the northern part of the island. I think a lot of folks visit Samana to watch the whales each year return. You can`t do that at a all-inclusive resort. At one time there was a great dock at Samana, but on my later visits, we tendered. They do need to spend some money on roads, and on it`s connection to other places on the island because Samana is somewhat removed from other places. It would be nice to have some connection to a good beach, but it is a poor area.
We wet to the Cayo Levantado beach Escape and LOVED it, the beach is beautiful and the drinks are cheap! They aslo had a nice bbq.