• Hello visitor!

We are happy to see you have stopped by and hope you will consider registering with our community. Whether you have a question related to an upcoming cruise or just want to meet other fellow cruisers, you are always welcome!

Hope to see you on the forums soon!

RMS Titanic

L

lancashire lass

Definately should be a remembrance and not a celebration. The Titanic was a disaster and too many families lost a loved one. A " celebration" cruise is in bad taste{IMO}

sidari

Deckhand
Maybe the Celebration part is for those who worked, died and built the 3 Sister ships in Belfast! in an age when Millions believed that it was impossible to make something that Big! no matter what you read it is always that people remember the dead of the Titanic, what about those who died building what was then a great ship like the Father and Son who died within a week of each other? never any mention for these people or those who slaved away for years doing the building.

I have been fortunate enough to have seen some of the artifacts that have been recovered and have touched the recovered piece of the Hull, it is one thing to read about Titanic in a book but to actually see and touch a part of what it was will always be remembered by me. So give some thought not just to those who sadly died when the ship went down but all those and their families who toiled in order to build what were then 3 great ships.

L

lancashire lass

Maybe the Celebration part is for those who worked, died and built the 3 Sister ships in Belfast! in an age when Millions believed that it was impossible to make something that Big! no matter what you read it is always that people remember the dead of the Titanic, what about those who died building what was then a great ship like the Father and Son who died within a week of each other? never any mention for these people or those who slaved away for years doing the building.

I have been fortunate enough to have seen some of the artifacts that have been recovered and have touched the recovered piece of the Hull, it is one thing to read about Titanic in a book but to actually see and touch a part of what it was will always be remembered by me. So give some thought not just to those who sadly died when the ship went down but all those and their families who toiled in order to build what were then 3 great ships.
Yes ,that is looking at it with a different perspective sidari. Most people remember the dead when they think "Titanic" even the word {name} Titanic denotes loss of epic proportions or disaster.
We visited Belfast a few years ago there was talk then of having a museum at the building site. Belfast was undergoing a lot of construction around the docks I wonder if they did open a museum? will check it out on our next visit.

Ally

Deckhand
Yes ,that is looking at it with a different perspective sidari. Most people remember the dead when they think "Titanic" even the word {name} Titanic denotes loss of epic proportions or disaster.
We visited Belfast a few years ago there was talk then of having a museum at the building site. Belfast was undergoing a lot of construction around the docks I wonder if they did open a museum? will check it out on our next visit.
Cobh has this....

Titanic Experience Cobh Ireland : Titanic Cobh Visitor Attraction in Cobh Cork Ireland

Belfast has this....

Visit the birthplace of the Titanic - Titanic Belfast

L

lancashire lass

We visited the Cobh exhibition last May, very worthwhile and I am glad to see Belfast will now have theirs.
I was surprised what a lovely city Belfast is, although we visit Ireland most years it was our first visit to the North, would recommend it for sure.
We were in Branson Missouri, they have a mock up of the Titanic , when you board they give you a passenger ticket similar to the one passengers were given and the whole interior of the ship is furnished in a identical manner as the original.
I couldn't get the dead passengers out of my head and so while I thought the exhibition was well done I was uncomfortable.

L

lancashire lass

I like this, think I might try pop over for a day, maybe take my mum over for a nice day out!
There is a replica Titanic ship in Branson Missouri. When you board they give you a replica ticket such as the real passengers were given. The grand staircase was just like the one in the photograph. I would imagine the Belfast offering will be very interesting.

Wendy 324

Deckhand
I have done a lot of research and such on the Titanic in the past. It just fascinates me a great deal. It is great that the ship lives on in so many ways like with this.

Braveheart

Deckhand
I had a look at the visitor centre website, it very well done. This is fantastic for Belfast tourism - good news for us too being on the euroroute to the ferry.
We are going to go when my daughter is next home, we can take the ferry over and back in a day as foot passengers, used to be quicker when we had the Fastcat, but the ferry is okay.
I loved the Olympic restaurant on Celebrity Millennium, from the original wood panels, white tailed waiting team, to the traditional trio of musicians, my mum in law commented "If those musicians stop playing grab your lifejacket!"
Looks like vast technology has been put into this centre, yup, one for sure this year when my daughter is home we will go and take mum and mum in law. Nice girls day out :)

L

lancashire lass

I had a look at the visitor centre website, it very well done. This is fantastic for Belfast tourism - good news for us too being on the euroroute to the ferry.
We are going to go when my daughter is next home, we can take the ferry over and back in a day as foot passengers, used to be quicker when we had the Fastcat, but the ferry is okay.
I loved the Olympic restaurant on Celebrity Millennium, from the original wood panels, white tailed waiting team, to the traditional trio of musicians, my mum in law commented "If those musicians stop playing grab your lifejacket!"
Looks like vast technology has been put into this centre, yup, one for sure this year when my daughter is home we will go and take mum and mum in law. Nice girls day out :)
Oh take lots of Pics and post them for us.:)

Melia

Deckhand
I wish I could check that out but Belfast is a bit far for me. ;) It'll be a good thing for the city though.

I guess I could go check out the Branson version but even that means driving a couple days.

Boy Blue

Deckhand
When ware were in Halifax Nova Scotia we visited the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic, which is dedicated to the Titanic it was very interesting, we may do Belfast as a long weekend and visit the new attraction.

L

lancashire lass

I agreee the Halifax Museum is super, will be calling in there in a few months but not on a cruise.:)

Braveheart

Deckhand
When ware were in Halifax Nova Scotia we visited the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic, which is dedicated to the Titanic it was very interesting, we may do Belfast as a long weekend and visit the new attraction.
If you do, dont forget to let me know, and stop by to say hello and have a coffee!!