• Hello visitor!

We are happy to see you have stopped by and hope you will consider registering with our community. Whether you have a question related to an upcoming cruise or just want to meet other fellow cruisers, you are always welcome!

Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Removal of artifacts from passenger shipwrecks....yay or nay?

Removal of artifacts from a passenger shipwreck - yay or nay

• Yes, divers should be allowed to remove things WITHOUT regulation

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • No, divers should not be allowed to remove things EVER

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Yes but only with tight regulation and guidance

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Not really sure

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Ally

Deckhand
There is something about a passenger shipwreck that draws divers to explore them and sometimes those divers salvage bits and pieces as souvenirs.

Some wrecks are protected and some are not...Titanic & Lusitania are, but Andrea Doria is not...

What are your thoughts about removing artifacts from these wrecks...should they be left alone, treated as graves - which they are, afterall, to those who perished when the ships went down. Or should people be allowed to cherry-pick off them for either historical purposes or for financial reasons without any form of regulation?

Please add reasons for your decision in the thread. Thank you :)

Ally

Deckhand
With the confirmation that Costa Concordia's bell has been stolen...

Thieves evade lasers to nab Italian shipwreck's bell | Reuters

What does everyone else think about this sort of "collecting" by people?

Personally I am absolutely against it...to me it is like robbing a grave, you wouldn't do it on land, so why do it in the sea?

Concordia's bells isn't the first or last one to be stolen...Andrea Doria's went a year or so ago.....what are YOUR thoughts about the taking of parts or artifacts from wrecks, especially hwere lives were lost?

MissMolly

Deckhand
I voted yes. What is the purpose of leaving all this stuff at the bottom of the ocean? Most wrecks can provide salvage that gives us a glimpse into the past and many pieces would be of historical interest.