• Hello visitor!

We are happy to see you have stopped by and hope you will consider registering with our community. Whether you have a question related to an upcoming cruise or just want to meet other fellow cruisers, you are always welcome!

Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Recruiting more members

Ally

Deckhand
One thing that put many off, Rex, was the change to the new format (Xenforo). As I tried to explain to Brent, and I am sure you know from experience yourself, people do not like too much change and vB has always been the easiest forum format to use, especially those with limited computer savvy.

On the face of it Xenforo is OK, but its nowhere near what vB is....granted you can get the same effects etc on here but vB is more user friendly and imo more attractive due to it being basic in design/layout.

Xenforo is a good alternative but one size doesn't always fit all and when you have so many cruise forums out there that use vB, then people tend to stick with what they know and my own personal opinion is that CT and Xenforo are not a great fit and that has shown to be true as many of our regulars have stayed away since Enrique sold the site to Brent and so much was changed, so fast....the regulars felt somewhat left out of the loop and it upset them. We had several from the biggest site that came here and it was like a sanctuary...same vB layout, easy to get to grips with but also friendly and safe from nastiness that many had experienced elsewhere.

Obviously its your call, ultimately, and I know that you are in the process of reskinning CT, I cannot help but wonder if a return to vB would be beneficial since that is what the bulk of people are used to using.

Rex

Captain
Staff member
At some point we may. Although the only stable vB is 3.8 which is really old. Honestly though I don't see much difference at all. IPB is beginning to look like a good option as well.

Ally

Deckhand
At some point we may. Although the only stable vB is 3.8 which is really old. Honestly though I don't see much difference at all. IPB is beginning to look like a good option as well.
I believe it is a perception thing Rex...sticking with what you know and have gotten used to and being put off by something new.

I had hoped to see several of the regulars back here once the dust had settled but it doesn't look like they have returned and that is really sad, they were a very active bunch, albeit relatively small in number, and it was something of an extended family atmosphere. I guess the sale of the site and then having so much change happen so quickly unsettled people and we really could do with getting them back onboard as they would help in getting the word out that CT is still alive and kicking.

Ally

Deckhand
Invision is quite a clean setup now, very similar to vB.....and like vB, its easy to build/renovate/mould to suit too. Could be something to consider perhaps, Rex, in the future .

vB is an old and sometimes tempermental format but its like the proverbial pair of slippers...old, tatty and sometimes leaky but oh so comfy to wear.