• Hello visitor!

We are happy to see you have stopped by and hope you will consider registering with our community. Whether you have a question related to an upcoming cruise or just want to meet other fellow cruisers, you are always welcome!

Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Question of the Day

Ally

Deckhand
I havfe heard others talk about how cool New Orleans was pre Katrina to sail out of....
Looks like they are tring to bring the ships back...at least Carnival is...
NCL, RCI and Carnival are now back to pre-Katrina cruise departures from NOLA. They have also been visited by several other lines too, such as Cunard. :)

CoCoNut Willie

Deckhand
One of the things I love about sailing out of NOLA is the 10-12 hour cruise down the Mississippi River before you hit the gulf. I used to keep a sportfishing boat down in Venice, LA and spent a lot of time in south LA. That's a whole different world down there.

BoHunk

Deckhand
10-12 hours! Really? I thought it ws right by the big water...See...New Orleans sits right on the big water..so are ya pullign my leg? I would fall for it ya know!

alphakitty

Deckhand
Hmm...ok. I see that ya'll don't like Miami. I've sailed out of Miami several times and really like the city a lot. I've never flown to Miami airport though, always fly into Ft. Lauderdale. I've never experienced any problems there and the price for a flight from here is usually around $150 rt non-stop.

BoHunk

Deckhand
Ohh...its not as if I was walking around the city witha knife in my heart..all was fine...just thought that others were easier.

I was a bit shocked in driving Miami to see he amount of homelessness. The poverty aside from the look of the big city was beyond anything I have ever seen. And, I would say...worse than Roatan...

alphakitty

Deckhand
That's coming from a mid-westerner. Boston, New York are about 1 hour and 3 hours respectively, so big cities are nothing new to me. I didn't even notice the homelessness or poverty in Miami. I must be jaded. :) I did notice the huge rich houses all along the water though..funny how perspectives can be huh?

BoHunk

Deckhand
There were people sleeping all over the area...outside my hotel I could see them bed down for the night adn many were not just homeles but working homeless. I tooka bag of fruit to one who had been sleeping on the asphault under the brindge for 2 days....funny..I did not really notice the big homes. I guess I was still in shock about the homelessness helplessness of Miami....and wondering why we are trying to right the living situations in other countries when our dirt is deep at our own door...

Ally

Deckhand
There were people sleeping all over the area...outside my hotel I could see them bed down for the night adn many were not just homeles but working homeless. I tooka bag of fruit to one who had been sleeping on the asphault under the brindge for 2 days....funny..I did not really notice the big homes. I guess I was still in shock about the homelessness helplessness of Miami....and wondering why we are trying to right the living situations in other countries when our dirt is deep at our own door...
*cough BBC NEWS | Business | Bush submits $2.9 trillion budget

US President George W Bush has submitted a $2.9 trillion (£1.5 trillion) budget to Congress including almost $700bn in new military spending.

Much of the money is earmarked for the war in Iraq and Afghanistan.
I was amazed at the reactions to the severity of poverty in Uruguay by a few US passengers, yes it was severe but South America in general is a very poor nation. I think sometimes we are all guilty to some degree of looking but not seeing poverty.

CoCoNut Willie

Deckhand
10-12 hours! Really? I thought it ws right by the big water...See...New Orleans sits right on the big water..so are ya pullign my leg? I would fall for it ya know!
Nope, not pulling your leg. The river twists and turns for over 100 miles before you hit the gulf. You pass by half dozen small towns on the way down river. After you get into the gulf you pass by oil rigs for another hour or two before you hit really open water. Boats and barges can get to the gulf through the outlet canal, but all ships head south down the river.

sevenhearths

Deckhand
Question of the day
Did you enjoy your Valor cruise ?
What ONE thing would you have changed if you could.. And be HONEST !
Yes, we enjoyed our Valor cruise. We thought the ship was more difficult to navigate around than other ships. We liked the alternate options on the dinner menu, and loved our wrap balcony. We spent more time in our room, on the balcony and with our balcony door open, then most anything else. The thing we would change are the number of ports, we would have less. We choose not to get off in Grand Caymans with the tendering madness, since we had only planned on doing a "beach day", we did our "beach day" on the ship without any of the hassles. We enjoyed our time in Roatan, (and would most likely go back there) however, we much prefer the Eastern/Southern Carribean to the Western.

I thought the Port of Miami was pretty crazy and not well organized compared to other ports.... so I would have to agree with what others have said about going out ot Miami- not fun... however the general Miami itself was fun to explore, and dining in Little Havana was good.

BoHunk

Deckhand
*cough BBC NEWS | Business | Bush submits $2.9 trillion budget

I was amazed at the reactions to the severity of poverty in Uruguay by a few US passengers, yes it was severe but South America in general is a very poor nation. I think sometimes we are all guilty to some degree of looking but not seeing poverty.

My understanding is that the war in Irac is close to $23,000. PP in the US....however, I can not recount to you the depth of poverty that I saw in Miami. I bet it is simular in any warm state where I may not see as much here in Minnesota due to the climate.
I thought hard on this after I left Roatan. I have seen posts calling Roatan dirty, 3rd world, poor, and frightening beyond the security gates. However...I saw poor people who appeared well fed. They looked healthy. I saw a mother out in a stream bathing her kids and hanging the clothes to dry....brushing teeth. Poor...ahh...yea...helpless on the streets..ahh...no!
This was in contrast to Miami where I saw poverty associated with poor health, crime, illness, and despair. As per previous post about the woman sleeping under the bridge right in from of my hotel.
Of course we do not want to admit poverty in our own country and risk wondering why we are trying to correct the living situation of other countries that dont meet our standards. We would then have to risk our own perceptions of ourself in the world. This was eye opening for a northern sheltered gal.....

gottabecruisin

Deckhand
Question of the Day
Where is chuck...lol
No I am only kidding
What one thing did you not enjoy on the ship ?

and be honest....

BoHunk

Deckhand
Hmmm...not sure I really did..I guess the flippers for the snorkeling as they are too bulky and I dont care to use them...
We loved having the over the door crap holder thingie I bought at Walmart.
Too many clothes for dressing decent and not enough tank tops...