1. Hello visitor!

We are happy to see you have stopped by and hope you will consider registering with our community. Whether you have a question related to an upcoming cruise or just want to meet other fellow cruisers, you are always welcome!

Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Pictures of the Ex Pacific Sun at Alang

Discussion in 'P&O/P&O Australia' started by Neil, Jun 26, 2017.

1. Neil

Neil Deckhand

Pictures below, which I received last night from a friend in Alang, show the ex ' Pacific Sun ' , which in recent times had been sailing as the ' Henna ' for Chinese owners, ready to be cut up at Alang having sailed from Shanghai at about 9 knots and been renamed ' Hen 'for the voyage.

Having been built in 1986 for Carnival Cruises as the ' Tropical ' she was one year newer than the Cruise & Maritime Voyages 46,058 grt cruise ship ' Magellan ' which was her sister ship and in January 2017 did a 120 night world cruise from the UK and is now operating UK cruises.

The top of her bow is marked for cutting off, as is the Indian ship breahers tradition, and she is fitted with wires for pulling ashore as the forward sections are cut off. RIP
    26.06.2017 hen 1 alang.jpg 26.06.2017 hen 2.jpg RIP

2. haroldwilliams

haroldwilliams Deckhand

I am sorry to see the Henna (Tropical), being cut up. One of my local friends,from here in Virginia, sailed on her, and said they loved it. I thought - maybe - the ship would pass on to another owner and try to be rehabilitated. She was a good size for some medium sized ports.

3. Neil

Neil Deckhand

Hi Harold

Having bought her from P & O Australia to use on the Chinese market as the ' Henna ' the owners suddenly found they were up against much newer ships which had started to operate cruises from China for the larger cruise companies.

No doubt had they not had that competition they might have had her for a few more years like her year older sister ship which now cruises on the UK maket as the ' Magellan ' for Cruise & Maritime Voyages .

It was thought they would chop the wings off the ' Magellan's ' funnel, by her early brochure pictures, so she would look like the ex ' Tropical ' but I think the Greek owners who had first arranged to charter the ship to the UK company. CMV. made a smart move in chartering the ship to start with and then buying her after about three months in service and her needing a drydock for certificate updates.

Picture below in her new colour scheme at the Australian port of Sydney when on a 120 night round the world winter cruise which had sailed from the UK on 5th January 2017 !

She has 120 single cabins available at only a 25% supplement !

12.03.2017 magellan.jpg