• Hello visitor!

We are happy to see you have stopped by and hope you will consider registering with our community. Whether you have a question related to an upcoming cruise or just want to meet other fellow cruisers, you are always welcome!

Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Panama & Panama Canal Excursions

John

Deckhand
For those of you who have done a full transit what excursions or trips would you recommend and why?

Ally

Deckhand
I, too am interested is hearing about what is avialble...although tbh, I am really looking forward to being on the ship and watching what goes on during the entire transit :)

Captain Larry

Deckhand
Actually, I feel a little guilty when I say I've been to Panama. Our transit of the Canal did not stop except for the "resting" time in the locks. We did not get off the ship so we did not have any excursions. In fact, we were on the ship for three full days, from Cartagena, Columbia, to Puerto Quetzal, Guatamala. I'm sure that some other itineraries do make a port visit in Panama, but I suspect that only the partial transits put you ashore in Gatun Lake.

Floflegs

Deckhand
Actually, I feel a little guilty when I say I've been to Panama. Our transit of the Canal did not stop except for the "resting" time in the locks. We did not get off the ship so we did not have any excursions. In fact, we were on the ship for three full days, from Cartagena, Columbia, to Puerto Quetzal, Guatamala. I'm sure that some other itineraries do make a port visit in Panama, but I suspect that only the partial transits put you ashore in Gatun Lake.
Did you do tours of either of those places?

Captain Larry

Deckhand
In Cartegena we did a "tour of the city". It was pretty good, but the oppressive heat made it a little uncomfortable (we were there in May). In Puerto Quetzal we took a coffee plantation tour, and it was a lot of fun, except for two things - our guide was hung up on telling us how bad the current regime was and how much better it was under the previous president (dictator?), and I got an insect bite on my finger that really swelled and itched for a few days.

middy

Deckhand
Must remember to put in bug repellant then, otherwise they will eat poor Chris alive. :bigeek:

Captain Larry

Deckhand
I used the bug spray I was carrying, but only after the first bite. I also sprayed the First Mate, but she was not bothered by the insects, nor was anyone else in our tour group. I guess my attracting the biting bug is just an indication of how sweet I am, huh?

Floflegs

Deckhand
I have been trying to find private tours and so far this is what I have come up with - not sure exactly which ports you do, Middy and Ally -
Coach Costa Rica - full service transportation or OkeyDokey Tours Costa Rica - Puntarenas, Costa Rica
Xpert & Professional Travel - Huatulco, Mexico
Currency Converter - Yahoo! Finance - Puerto Quetzal, Guatemala
Cartagena, Colombia's Complete Tourism, Business, Real Estate Guide – this gives a lot of different companies if you click tours – Cartagena, Colombia

Ally

Deckhand
My itinerary is....

29 Nov 2008 Acapulco, Mexico
02 Dec 2008 Puerto Chiapas, Mexico
03 Dec 2008 Puerto Quetzal, Guatemala
06 Dec 2008 Fuerte Amador, Panama
07 Dec 2008 Transit Panama Canal
09 Dec 2008 Santo Thomas de Castilla, Guatemala
10 Dec 2008 Costa Maya, Mexico
11 Dec 2008 Roatan, Honduras
12 Dec 2008 Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
13 Dec 2008 Montego Bay, Jamaica

Hurricanes and tropical storms allowing, of course ;)

John

Deckhand
The itinerary that Middy & are doing is
Montego bay
Cartagena
Colon
Limon
transit Panama canal
Puntarenas ( Costa Rica )
SanJuan del sur ( Nicaragua )
Huatalco ( Mexico )
Zihuatanejo ( Mexico)
Acapulco

Captain Larry

Deckhand
You really need to take a tour at Puerto Quetzal. There is absolutely nothing at the port. My personal opinion of Huatalco - stay on the ship.

FlRic

Deckhand
Ally you shouldn't have any trouble with Hurricanes or storms for that matter at the time you are going. They are normally done gone by the middle of November at the latest. I guess I've seen too many locks because I wasn't all that impressed with the Panama Canal. I was much more impressed with how many containers these ships hold (4500 for an average).