• Hello visitor!

We are happy to see you have stopped by and hope you will consider registering with our community. Whether you have a question related to an upcoming cruise or just want to meet other fellow cruisers, you are always welcome!

Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Not sure where to go

Harold

Deckhand
I have not yet cruised but want to. I have heard a lot of good things about it.
The problem is, I am blind. I do not have an assist animal, but get around pretty well on my own. I would probably be cruising with a companion who is sighted, but wonder how much I will be able to do on my own.
For example, do they have braille menus? Are the schedules available in braille or some other format I would be able to carry around (tape / disk / mp3 file etc)?
I assume the cruise lines adhere to the various laws that require braille on signs, elevators, etc.

If anyone can help, or point me to the place on here I can get the information, I would appreciate it.

I have a reader for the computer, but please do me a favour and keep your messages short. Thanks!

Harold

Ally

Deckhand
Welcome to the CruisingTalk family Harold :joy:

There is a vast aray of ships out there for you to try. All have braille cabin number panels, menus, lift buttons and so forth by law, and the staff onboard are exceptionally helpful, so I think you should get along just fine on your first cruise.

If there is any help that you need navigating this site, do please let us know and we will help you find your dream cruise and all the information that you want too :)

Again, welcome to our family here, I hope that you will enjoy roaming the site and also your first, hopefully not your last, cruise :)

Ally

Deckhand
We have some general disabled traveller information here on CruisingTalk, not all will be applicable but most maybe of some assistance, especially in the choice of holiday and also there are some useful links to various assistance and charitable organisations who offer extra assistance with bookings and so forth. You can find them here...

http://www.cruisingtalk.com/disabled/298-disabled-traveller-advice.html

and here...

http://www.cruisingtalk.com/disabled/3716-cruising-if-disabled-whats-out-there.html

If there is anything that you are not sure about, please do not hesitate to ask :)

Ally

Deckhand
Alot of cruise lines are also supplying iPods for their shore excursions now. Each line will be able to give you details of what they have a vailable and for each cruise.

Onboard ship, there are regular announcements over the tannoy systems for events and activities during the day while on sea days and when in port you will have the same sort of announcements for disemarkation for shore excursions.

As you are taking a companion with you, I am sure that you will have a very enjoyable holiday. The best advice I can give, is do your homework as to the ship, cruise line and itinerary that you want to try. Be positive and go with an open mind and just enjoy yourself to the full :)

John

Deckhand
Welcome to CruisingTalk Harold.

As Ally has said most cruise lines do accommodate those who are blind very well. So you should have no problems selecting a cruise.

FlRic

Deckhand
Harold: Welcome to the site!!! Ships are EXTREMELY accomadating so you shouldn't have any problems. Once on a ship you might want to contact the Purser's Office to let them know you are aboard for any extra asistance.