• Hello visitor!

We are happy to see you have stopped by and hope you will consider registering with our community. Whether you have a question related to an upcoming cruise or just want to meet other fellow cruisers, you are always welcome!

Hope to see you on the forums soon!

NJVIC - FoS - Maiden Voyage June 4-11, 2006

robyn

Gondoliere
Vic, thanks for taking the time to post your report & photos. There goes the rest of my weekend :roll: Want to read your report in depth, Terry's photos, Mark's Bavarian Adventure etc.......think I might be suffering 'sensory overload' by the time the weekend ends. But what an enjoyable way to suffer being 'landlocked'! Thanks again :D

NJVIC

Deckhand
Robyn -

- between all the reports there is plenty to read. There were several times while we were on Freedom that I thought of you and Liz and others. Maybe because this was the Inaugural, but there were so many times that the Champagne flowed like water that I thought of both of you and could pretty much visualize you both with glass (or two) in hand. Each time I passed Vintages Wine Bar - I thought - that would be the place where Robyn and Liz would have found 'that' table in the corner where you can watch all the action in the Promenade and sit there enjoying a fine Bordeaux.

It is amazing when on a cruise how different items will remind you of certain people and this one reminded me of several on the forums. Truly a ship with something for everyone.

Vic.

Dani

Deckhand
I am very impressed that there was a time that The Captain took questions from the cruisers. Most of the time on our cruises, only time I really saw the Captain was on the Celebrity parties for Select guests.

Saw them walking about on HAL but that is about it. Never been high enough on the food chain...to be in much of a venue to hear them talk in smaller group.

Oh dear, will your report make us think of doing that big a ship ? Maybe !

Obviously no chance to be bored, although never been bored on any ship.

You did a great review. Now RCL needs to read it to counter any of the ones on the "Board That Has No Name "

m_doiron

Cruise Comedian
Dani,

I like the HP reference (and I don't mean Hewlett-Packard:roll:).

With the exception of Captain Tudball on the Rhapsody of the Seas, no captain I've "met" can speak any English more than the toast they've phonetically memorized.

Here's a challenge - try to find a sulking corner on the Freedom.:idea:

Mark:mrgreen:

NJVIC

Deckhand
No sulking corners here -

- actually I felt it was the perfect ship for all.

Mark you would have probably sat inside the Morgan on the promenade and tried to figure out how to drive it off the ship. It was a special build for Freedom. Robyn and Liz sitting at 'that' corner table in Vintages watching you.

Dani - right to the spa and would have spent a lot of time being pampered in there. Then afterwards tried the many hot tubs till finding the perfect one for the cruise - you know the type, in the solarium, able to smile and wave to the pool boy and a simple nod to the bar server to bring that special concoction.

Wolfgang would have made his way to the bridge to see if he good play with the joystick that controls the ship, maybe take a ride on one of the many stationery bikes in the fitness center that are equipped with flat screen TV's.

Jackie would enjoy the fine dining in Portofino's and Chops Grille and thoruoghly entertained by Broadway caliber shows in the Arcadia Theater.

Manuela would love Sorrento's and Seattle's Best Cafe and be fascinated by the parades down the Promenade.

Terry and Liz in the Internet lounge but alas no webcams, but they do have WiFi and you could hook up your own laptop in your cabin - be careful if it has a webcam.

CharlieW sitting in the stands at the Flowrider waiting to see who will be the first to surf off the ship.

Pobore would have found the Bull and Bear Pub and went no further - would have thought he found heaven.

Jeff would have been all over the ship checking it all out. Ordering room service for breakfast in his cabin, lunch at Johnny Rockets, afternoon ice cream at Ben & Jerry's and then finagled his way to dinner with the Captain.

So much to do so little time.

Vic.

Liz

Deckhand
:dancer: :dancer: :dancer:

LOVE IT, VIC.

Think Robyn and I had best watch our PR image a bit here. We would not spend the ENTIRE cruise at that corner table in Vintages:eek:

robyn

Gondoliere
VIC :luv: ...thanks for thinking of me & Liz (I think) :roll: and nice to know your 'Kroooz-Family' was in your thoughts....really looking forward to reading your whole report now, with an appropriate 'adult beverage' in hand, of course :green:

As for our PR image Liz...think that is somewhat wrecked anyway :oops: Mind you, IF the internet lounge was right next door to Vintages, or if one of us had a laptop?????????? No...wait...a Blackberry!!!!!!!!! :dancer:

Liz said:
LOVE IT, VIC.

Think Robyn and I had best watch our PR image a bit here. We would not spend the ENTIRE cruise at that corner table in Vintages

Liz

Deckhand
DEFINITELY thinking of investing in a Blackberry:joy:

Come to think of it, awaiting a technical report on Blackberrys (Blackberries?) vs others from Kansas:confused:

robyn

Gondoliere
Great Liz :joy: Was thinking about getting one also (very unexpected tax refund has arrived :D ) All the partners of my law firm have recently been issued with them...not quite sure if they are using them for work yet though :roll: Will wait to see what the 'Kansas report' reveals. See what you have started, CharlieW ?

Dani

Deckhand
Okay, the Kansas Report is repeated opinion of Sean Neilon.

First if you have a cell phone, have you ever tried to text a message ?

See the small buttons that have the letters on them ?

Will you be able to see the letters and also hit the button ?

It seems most people use their thumbs, therefore the term "Blackberry Thumb" for sore thumbs.

A Blackberry on an individual contract can be pricey. It is just like buying and paying monthly for a cellphone. To see prices and monthly fees ( include all options that you want ) go to their website and see how much you want to spend.

Now for not much more you can buy a low end laptop and use it for emailing.

I ( this is Dani speaking ) believe you will find it not much cheaper to text messages on a Blackberry vs. internet prices in port or on the ship. Plus you usually cannot write it off as a business expense as a company could do. As with your cell phone you can get unlimited emailing within U.S. for I think $50.00 on top of your monthly fee.

On board ship, I type up my message on my laptop and then send it quickly. Doesn't use much internet time.

So the end answer is one of size. I could have internet on my Sprint phone but I would probably not be able to read it very well, same with text messages...too difficult with the small keys.

For Charlie it makes sense as he is using it for business use mainly.
Charlie can give you all a user's viewpoint and that will be helpful.

It does have some functions like address book, calculator, calendar, organizer.

If you are truly interested, check out the website and look at them. Then go see one...

I ( Dani ) just know that I do not want to mess with typing on something that small.

So this message is half Sean and half Dani. Sean doesn't think they are worth it verus using a laptop.

Dani would not be able to see well enough or have the dexterity to use it.

Then again...we may be all wet ! :D

P.S. Regardless, watch what you type. For more information regarding that check out the new rules that A T & T just put forth. :eek:

robyn

Gondoliere
Thanks for all the information Dani (& Sean!) :clap: Seems perhaps a laptop might be a better idea for me. As you rightly point out, CharlieW can use his as a business expense, whereas Liz & I are 'semi-retired' so nothing to write it off against.

Not sure what the costs are here in Oz, so that might help make the decision as well.

Thanks again....much appreciated :D

NJVIC

Deckhand
Robyn and Liz can list themselves as freelance journalists for all the posting they do and list a laptop and associated costs as expenses related to posting.

Vic.

Liz

Deckhand
You know, Vic, it just might work:joy: :green: .......wasn't there an old Law & Order episode, where someone posting on a biker site:shock: was granted journalistic protection from having to reveal his sources......swear to God!

NJVIC

Deckhand
You are correct Liz! I remember that one - although I don't know if the IRS watches Law & Order.

Vic.

Dani

Deckhand
Liz, you have to pretend to be a Biker monitoring a cruise website while watching Law and Order ...that should cover the whole thing..at least in N.J.

Few well placed tatoos would help.

robyn

Gondoliere
Vic...have finally finished reading your excellent & comprehensive report :clap: :clap: many thanks. Although I'm not a fan of HUGE ships, I must admit your report has me thinking maybe I could try it one day. When Liz & I are freelance cruise journalists of course ;)

CharlieW

Deckhand
Vic, great report! Glad you had a good time. After getting back from our trip, I have been extremely busy and just now starting to catch up in the forums.

Now as for the blackberry. I wasn't planning on using it to post reports on our trip. I normally take a laptop but everytime I spoke to Virgin Atlantic they were so anal about reminding me of the luggage weight restriction (50 lb per bag) and carryon weight restriction (12 lb), I opted to leave the laptop at home. I probably would have only taken 1 suitcase but because of their weight issues, I ended up with two.

I am on my 3rd blackberry and this is by far the best. I am using the 8700g. Has a large high resolution screen, full keyboard and broadband speed. I use mine for both phone and data. I had no trouble connecting to the forums, posting updates and reading the posts. I had more time using the blackberry on our trip then I have had since I got back 2 weeks ago. I am not sure I will haul a laptop anymore. I have a voice and data plan with unlimited use for $69 a month.

I will be posting a report of our trip on the Constellation very soon. Working on the 800 pictures we took and 3-1/2 hours of video. Keeping me busy (besides work).

I do miss those towel animals.

Dani

Deckhand
Charlie,

My purse would weight 12 pounds... If they are so strict with those weights, what do they say about the passengers ?