• Hello visitor!

We are happy to see you have stopped by and hope you will consider registering with our community. Whether you have a question related to an upcoming cruise or just want to meet other fellow cruisers, you are always welcome!

Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Never Cruised... Need some input on planning

ArkieFlyGuy

Deckhand
I know this is probably "just another newbie question..." but....

My wife and I have never been on a cruise, but we want to take one, maybe this year. We live in Missouri and I'm 57, she's 48. We want to cruise the Caribbean first then later take an Alaskan cruise. We may get hooked on them after that!

We want a balcony and we are not into much of the party scene, just relax, drink, eat, drink, enjoy the POCs, drink, watch the water go by, drink, maybe do some activities onboard and maybe an excursion. These trips will be just us, no grandkids.

Any advice?

wmacdon

Deckhand
The best time to cruise is in the winter when Missouri is freezing. How about a trip to the Eastern Caribbean in January. We have enjoyed Royal Caribbean and the Celebrity cruise lines.

haroldwilliams

Deckhand
Arkie,
One suggestion is to get as much information as you can, and search around for good prices on a place that interests you. For balcony cabins you can find a ship that has majority balconies; remember there are many incidentals - parking - hotels- gratuities- shuttle fees- and beverage fees onboard. It is not always as cheap as they want to make you envision.

DeedeeG

Deckhand
I know this is probably "just another newbie question..." but....

My wife and I have never been on a cruise, but we want to take one, maybe this year. We live in Missouri and I'm 57, she's 48. We want to cruise the Caribbean first then later take an Alaskan cruise. We may get hooked on them after that!

We want a balcony and we are not into much of the party scene, just relax, drink, eat, drink, enjoy the POCs, drink, watch the water go by, drink, maybe do some activities onboard and maybe an excursion. These trips will be just us, no grandkids.

Any advice?
Hi-

I'd like to recommend Princess, which is a good all-around experience. We've been on Royal Caribbean, Holland America and Celebrity, and have found Princess to be the most consistent and perfect for our demographic (I'm about your age). The food and entertainment are good, the ships are quietly decorated, there's plenty to do onboard (some highlights are "Movies Under the Stars," reminiscent of drive-ins and behind-the-scenes "galley" kitchen tours), the service is terrific and the rooms have some of the best closets at sea. If you want to splurge a bit, you can get a "mini-suite," which is about the size of a hotel room. I have a review of a recent trip in the W. Caribbean on the Caribbean Princess, if you're interested, at musingaboutcruising.blogspot.com. - Musing About Cruising