• Hello visitor!

We are happy to see you have stopped by and hope you will consider registering with our community. Whether you have a question related to an upcoming cruise or just want to meet other fellow cruisers, you are always welcome!

Hope to see you on the forums soon!

NCL first quarter financials

cclguy

Deckhand
Does anyone have any insight on why/how NCL lost $28 million the first quarter of this year? Their product is priced above CCL and RCL and they still lose money. I read quite some time ago that Star was having issues with money but this is quite a bit of red ink.

Robert

Peebeegee

Deckhand
Simple really!
Profit is the resultant figure when you deduct expenses from income. To be fair that is more than a little simplistic but overall it holds true. Thus you have the situation where either the income was insufficient to cover the costs (too few cruises sold at a realistic price) or the costs exceeded the income available (too many new ships being built that have not been able to be marketed at a rate sufficient to cover costs) We won't go down the route of "capital allowances being offset" since I am not aware of global accountancy policy on such factors.
Seems more than likely though that income was less than costs which were unavoidable i.e fixed not variable. Bean counters probably were not listened to and not for the first time:D
Cheers. Paul

Dani

Deckhand
Robert,

The cost of having you onboard in Feb. 2007 is being written off now :D

Knowing you and your exquisite tastes, they are preparing a royal welcome and it is going to cost quite a bit.

The Private Lear jet to take you to and from the Plane.

The penthouse suite gratis for the week.

Two Butlers in attendence.

Private Wine Stock at your disposable.

Tiffany Gifts for all your party and any friends that you make on board.

Private tours on all the Islands led by Island Mayor.

Clothes for cruise furnished by Neiman Marcus or your choice of Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills.

That is just some of the delights that await you. :joy:

Don't worry about the Stockholders, they will survive. :p

sealegs

Deckhand
:idea: Good morning, all

NCL's financial results are not exactly surprising.
And, coming on the heel of Carnival Corp's profit warning announcement, no wonder the industry stocks are taking a hit....
RCL's AGM is 26th May; with its notification came a fully detailled financial disclosure. Now, THEY are doing well, thank you....However, this did not keep their stock from following industry pattern.

One thing to watch for at times of immense new tonnage becoming seaborne....how do you spell ''bubble ''''and how do you spell '' burst'' ???

Let'$ keep our finger$ cro$$ed.

( and buy the stock now...)
Cheers
Claude
;)

Dani

Deckhand
Claude,

I get it !

As in American Housing. Bubble. Burst.

Makes perfect sense. Hunkering down in small inexpensive home :mrgreen:

Yorsk

Deckhand
Owning 100 shares of RCL stock has been a good thing for me... I bought it to get the annual report, and it's turned out to be a good investement over time, too.
Not to mention the Room Credit when you take RCL or Celebrity cruises! $250 bought more then a few Coronas, and that was the second time I've been able to cash in on the credit.:dancer:

cclguy

Deckhand
Carnival gives an onboard credit to holders of 100 shares or more as well, I have been a shareholder for years. I purchased at $20 so you could say I have done well.

Robert

cclguy

Deckhand
The shareholder credit is good on any Carnival Corp/PLC brand.
Depending on the line your credit could be $, Euros, Pounds, etc.

In $ and Pounds
Cruises of 6 or less days $50/25 Pounds
Cruises of 7-13 days $100/50 Pounds
Cruises of 14 days or more $250/125 Pounds

Robert

Lancashirelad

Deckhand
Thanks Robert, next time I have some money to invest I know where its going. Wish I had some share now, this years cruise is 20 nights.

Dani

Deckhand
Lanny,

Are you TRYING to get on my sulking list ? TWENTY nights :mad:

20 nights I have to spend in the Sulking Room ? :cry:

Will you please post often while onboard ?

I am really, really into pain ! :D

I suppose you have lots of exotic ports. I will have to go check the calendar so I can see how upset I am going to be :duh:

Lancashirelad

Deckhand
The ports are not exotic, its a transatlantic Southampton to New York (Brooklyn :( ) then up Newport, Boston, Bar Harbour, Halifax, Quebek and Newfoundland then back to Southampton. Its a good job I was not on here when I went to Cape Town that was 29 nights :mrgreen: Got 11 days at sea so I am sure I will find time to get online and post on here just to let you know what you are missing Dani

Dani

Deckhand
Lanny,

You are saying that Brooklyn is not exotic ? The home of the original language items " dese "and "dose " :shock:

Newfoundland,home of the lovely dogs ?

Newport, where people live richly and "put on the dog " ?

Boston and Bar Harbour, where people still try to sound British ?

Halifax, who pleasantly lent their name to The Fax machine ?

Quebec City, If you do not speak French, say you are an American. They do not expect us to know anything. :mrgreen:

You will have many days to write your "Novel " that you have been neglecting. Wonderful, wonderful sea days. :green:

Dani

Deckhand
San Diego,

I am now completely disillusioned. :cry:

I thought if I ever got to Quebec, I could try out my pigeon French.

My poor Pigeon has been trying to learn French from the African Grey Parrot
next door.

They have been exchanging love messages in French for two years.

However, I did hear that Bird next door tell my pigeon "Ferme la bouche " :shock:

Yorsk

Deckhand
Dani -
Granted, I learned my French in Belgium. I've been told I don't speak the language, either:nono: