• Hello visitor!

We are happy to see you have stopped by and hope you will consider registering with our community. Whether you have a question related to an upcoming cruise or just want to meet other fellow cruisers, you are always welcome!

Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Must have's for Alaska

PEB

Captain
Staff member
Ok there are a couple must have's for cruising Alaska. First always dress in layers, but more importantly you should have a good camera and a pair of binoculars. You will also need to bring sunglasses. The reflection off the water and the ice of the glaciers make these a real must. If you have a good camera you may also want to bring a filter so your pictures are not washed out by the water and ice reflection.

You will take more pictures then usual and you never know when or where you will see things.

Pam in CA

Captain
I've found that fleece is excellent for Alaska. It's lightweight, easy to pack, warm without being hot and can be layered. I have a couple of fleece vests I bought from LL Bean years ago that are perfect under a windbreaker. Last May, I brought a lightweight cowl-like neck warmer that I could pull over my head and ears that was perfect when we disembarked during a surprise snowstorm in Whittier.

jamesish

Deckhand
Could you suggest a good waterproof case for a camera? I have one of those standard sized cameras shaped like a phone.

PEB

Captain
Staff member
Jamesish, I am sorry I can not recommend a waterproof camera case. When I bought my camera I bought one that was water resistant because I knew I would be spending a lot of time taking pictures while I was on the water.