• Hello visitor!

We are happy to see you have stopped by and hope you will consider registering with our community. Whether you have a question related to an upcoming cruise or just want to meet other fellow cruisers, you are always welcome!

Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Mona Lisa Due to Open Next Month !

Neil

Deckhand
News On Mona Lisa

Reports have appeared on another cruising website that the Mona Lisa is to have a US $ 35 million refurbishment at Oman with the intention of creating 250 luxury staterooms on board.

No other news at present on this report.

SHETLAND

Deckhand
If she where to meet her end at the breakers it would be an absolute tragedy to see the last of the John Brown beauties go, i had hoped Classic International would have taken a look at her.

Neil

Deckhand
The latest news is reported to have some from Sweden, where they had hoped to preserve the ship, so lets hope it is correct.

Cruisefan

Deckhand
Mona Lisa has been spotted by friends of mine 3 days ago in the Port of Duqm , Oman, where she is being used as a floating Hotel for a meeting of heads of state. After that she will enter Drydock to be converted to a luxury floating Hotel. her present cabin configuration will be reduced to only 250. Cost of conversion to be north of $30 millions.
Cruisefan

Neil

Deckhand
Hi

Many thanks for the update on Mona Lisa.

Have you any information on where the conversion work will be done and if her engines will be kept in working order ?

Any pictures of her at Oman are always appreciated.

Cruisefan

Deckhand
My contact is a Diver for a company in Oman and he promised to go to the Port of Duqm to take a photo. the conversion will take place there, as they have build a large Repair Yard. Of course the engines will be kept in place. the plan is although to operate her as a floating Hotel, she will be in fact kept as a cruise vessel. owners want to move her around the Gulf, wherever there are large meetings or events taking place where additional hotel facilities may be required. So moving her to Dubai for F-1 Race, or what ever is in the cards for her. an intriguing concept i dare say, but maybe workable. Sad that the QE2 owners did not think of such a venue for her, as her fate is still rather shaky.
Cruisefan

Neil

Deckhand
Mnay thanks for the update about the Miona Lisa.

Lets hope your friend is able to get the pictures.

I have added a map of the coastal area of Oman, which shows Duqm, for those who are not familiar with this area.
28.11 MAP OF OMAN.jpg

Neil

Deckhand
New owners !

There appears to be some conflicting reports about Mona Lisa and her future use.

Her owners since the 26th October 2010 are now shown on an official ships registration website as being ' DSME OMAN LLC ' which is the South Korean company Daewoo with the contract to overseeing the building of the new shipyard and other projects in Oman.

This could mean that she could finish up as a workers accommodation ship and not be turned into a luxury floating hotel as had been reported.

Neil

Deckhand
Hi zoodust

Welcome to the cruisingtalk website.

Many thanks fior the link to the Youtube film showing the Mona Lisa in the background.

She has had a very interesting career since being sold by P & O cruises and was used as an accommodation ship near to Vancouver for the winter olympics.

As she is not Solas 2010 compliant she can only be used as an accommodation ship or sail in coastal waters as has happened with the ex Fred Olsen Cruises ship Black Prince which is now cruising off the coast of Venezuela.

If you have any other questions to ask or news to publish please feel free to do so.

Welcome aboard.

zoodust

Deckhand
Thank you for the welcome. I had the pleasure of staying on the Mona Lisa for 51 days during the 2010 Olympics. I was part of the work force based in Squamish where the Mona Lisa was berthed. The crew was fantastic and met some wonderful People from around the world.

Neil

Deckhand
Hi zoodust

Interesting to hear that you stayed on the Mona Lisa at Squamish and I am sure it will be of interest to hear what services there was on board while she was there..

Where facilities like meals etc available on board for you to use and were these available 24 hours a day or only at certain times.

Were any of the bars open ?

Look forward to hearing of your experience of living on her.

zoodust

Deckhand
Hi Neil

I really enjoyed my stay on board The Mona Lisa, I thought we were well looked after. All our meals were in the Coral dinning room. Service started at 0300 for cold cereal and pastries and juice. Tea, coffee and hot chocolate was available 24 hrs a day. Breakfast was from 0530-0930hrs, lunch was from 1130-1430hrs and dinner was from 1730-2130hrs. All meals were buffet style.
As you can imagine being the Olympics security was a huge issue, three security checks just to get onboard. As every one was suppose to be working entertainment was kept to a bare minimum. People were working and sleeping all hours of the day and night. There were two bars open, the Starlight and Riviera from 1800-2230hrs daily. No alcohol was allowed to be brought onboard (yeah right). The only other entertainment we had was the "official" Olympic network TV coverage and after a couple weeks we finally got wireless internet.
All the crew was fantastic, from the front desk staff, the cabin stewards, dinning room staff and everyone that kept the ship spotless.
Even though the only time we moved was up and down with the tide, nothing beats staying on a ship.

Neil

Deckhand
Hi zoodust

Many thanks of the news on the use of Mona Lisa as an accommodation ship.

I do not think we have had a report of a passenger ship being used like this before.

I am not sure if they would have the full crew on board, as if she was operating as a cruise ship, but from your report it looks as if there was enough doing a very good job in looking after you.

The ship did return to Europe for another cruising season after that charter but it is a pity someone had not bought her and updated her to meet the new Solas regulations so she could continue in service.

Neil

Deckhand
Hi zoodust

Many thanks for that link.

I so know that a lot of people in Sweden follow the reports on the Mona Lisa.

Neil

Deckhand
Reports have come in that the cruise ship Mona Lisa is due to open as a floating hotel in July 2011 at Dugm, Oman.

The number of cabins on board has been reduced to 261 guest rooms.

Previously she had 397 cabins !

The ship has been modified to provide a fine dining experience and also some entertainment and other facilities on board.

It is intended to be used mainly for managment visits and guests of the owners.

Her engines are being kept in working order so that she can be moved as required.

Copy of the information from the company news information service below -
b61be49b29.jpg

Ally

Deckhand
Nice shot, Zoodust, she isn't looking too bad condition wise. Nice to see the old girl again...thanks for sharing the photo :)

Neil

Deckhand
The original reports from her new owners had said that they intended to keep her fully operational so she could be moved round to different ports as required.

I wonder with the re-fitting work if she would now be Solas 2010 compliant.

Lets hope that has happened although it is not required for her present use as mainly a static unit.