• Hello visitor!

We are happy to see you have stopped by and hope you will consider registering with our community. Whether you have a question related to an upcoming cruise or just want to meet other fellow cruisers, you are always welcome!

Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Labor Day Meeting- CAPTAIN'S EAST COAST CRUISE

Manuela

Deckhand
It's a good thing we have this coming up. Jeff will be ready for a few days of relaxation ;)

Here are Liz's directions:

From Garden State Parkway (North OR South) Route 3 East to Rte 495 East and Lincoln Tunnel

From Jersey Tpke (North or South) Rte 495 East to Lincoln Tunnel

Take "Last Exit in NJ, Weehawken, Ferry to NYC" Exit. There is a light at the bottom of the ramp, go straight, but bear slightly Right. (Bear Left and, guess what, you are now going to go THROUGH the Lincoln Tunnel )

Follow road around to the right and turn left at next light, Baldwin Street (BIG sign). This is where you are going to wonder about a mistake, cause it looks like the road to nowhere Go UNDER the railroad and then either bear left at the fork for the Ferry Terminal or right for the Chart House. They are a little more than a mile from each other.

Parking at the Ferry Terminal Once you have taken the left fork, you don't have to make any more turns. Just continue straight ahead, past the new townhouses and there will be signs for Ferry Parking on the right.
The engineering company from HELL is working on the parking lot. I have not noticed any changes in years. There are falling over fences, broken concrete barriers and NO SIGNS, once you are into the parking area. Follow other cars and eventually you will find the appropriate place. Remember the ROW #. Get your parking ticket validated and walk toward the water....

VERY pretty mini-park, with lots of flowers, etc. MEETING PLACE

And the map from Rand McNally:

A ride across the river and back for dinner at the Weehawken Chart House (201) 348-6628) - cocktails at 4:30 and dinner at 5:00 :)

Liz

Deckhand
Of course, everything is totally "ON COURSE" with this. Meet-up at Ferry Terminal around 2pm. :joy: :joy: :joy:

SO GLAD, Manuela, that you saved this, cause, while I had the map, did NOT have the written directions :shock:

NJVIC

Deckhand
For those of us -

- arriving for the 5 PM portion of the meeeting - will we be meeting in front of the Chart House or inside?

Also did we resolve the dress code and has the group increased in number?

Vic.

Liz

Deckhand
Dress code is casual, ties and jackets NOT required, shirts and shoes, probably a good idea ;)

By last count, there are eight of us.

Jeff, me, Donna, Vic & Wife, Manuela and husband, Bob Brown.

Any more???????? :green: :green: :green:

How about meeting at the bar???????

bdacruiser

Deckhand
Thanks, Norman, For the Labor Day Link!

dobbs and I shall do just that--- "Labor!" :whew: :) :clap: Our emotions are quite jumbled as we celebrate this National Holiday, as well. On one hand, we're excited about the Labor Day Krooozer's Chart House rendezvous of which we'll participate in spirit. We're blessed to be working (and, more importantly, enjoying what we do), yet are concerned about the affects Katrina will have on our economy in the weeks and months ahead. Some analysts say we'll be paying $4.00 [3.24 Euros] per gallon of gas within ten days and that the price of crude, already above $70 a barrel, will reach $100 within weeks. :( :shock:

Aside from the disasterous economic fallout, the utter devastation in terms of lives lost, houses ruined, and spirits broken is something most of us have not encountered in our lives. Nevertheless, though Katrina has impacted all our lives in America, we survivors continue to count blessings. :pray:

Labor Day has always been special for us as members of a labor organization. This Holiday, we'll celebrate the ideals of Labor, hope for its future in very unsettling times, and pray for those who've lost so very much down South. May the healing commence, may it be all-encompassing, and may it be a rapid re-birth of spirits as well as brick & mortar.

Mark, indeed, we're waiting to hear from you, pal.

Norman

Deckhand
In UK a gallon costs $7.22.

18 months ago whilst in the states I saw petrol had reached $2 a gallon. Please don't expect sympathy from this side of the pond.

Norman

bdacruiser

Deckhand
Right About That...

No sympathy requested. You've been paying much more in Europe than we have in the "colonies." It's the conditioning we're not accustomed to. We've been "conditioned" (a.k.a. getting off easy) with low prices--- we've enjoyed our guzzling tanks. It's about time we joined the rest of the world and started to conserve. Oil is finite. When will we learn?

NJVIC

Deckhand
Now we know why -

- Wolfgang likes riding a bike so much - more efficient and less costly than a car!

With respect to our costs for fuel - when you are used to paying what is considered a reasonable price and then it increases by leaps and bounds - you have to wonder is it truly the cost of doing business, Hurricane related problems or is there price gouging taking place.

Personally, I think it is the latter. The filling station across from my office went from $2.55 to $2.99 in a matter of hours - they had no new delivery of fuel - what was in the tanks was the same as in the morning - so why should it cost more? Because they can do it and people will still buy it.

As Greg & dobbs said - "we've enjoyed our guzzling tanks." Unfortunately I don't think the higher prices will stop the demand.

Vic.

Liz

Deckhand
Errr....a.....GUYS.....keep this up and pretty soon I will hear from the Captain that he is not coming for the Labour Day party....cause it COSTS TOO MUCH to drive from Providence to Verona.

If you think this is a subtle attempt to put this back on thread, YOU ARE RIGHT :joy: :joy: :joy: :green: :green: :green:

Liz

Deckhand
Captain should be heading to the airport in a bit, with ETA at Verona homeport, tomorrow afternoon :green: :green: :joy: :joy:

Weather here is PERFECT and looks to be even better for the BIG Labor Day party :green: :green: :green:

Should a flag have come down in Alta Loma, to be raised here, or is that only for Admirals?????????

jeff

Master of the Vessel
Looking forward to the great weather. It is definitely coooler there than here. Only a Captain so no flags ;)

jeff

bdacruiser

Deckhand
Hmmm...

Can't say for sure, but we know one thing. The "cocktail banner" should grace the vessel pole! :dancer: :green:

Liz

Deckhand
But, piped aboard, YES :green: :green:

Cocktail flag is (Oh Lord, there IS a nautical term for this, but can't remember :oops: ) "READY TO BE FLOWN" :joy: :joy:

bdacruiser

Deckhand
Liz, Taking A Stab, Here...

---ready to be masted?? :shock:

As is (cough!) said, "Whatever!" :shock: :) :) :green: :dancer: