• Hello visitor!

We are happy to see you have stopped by and hope you will consider registering with our community. Whether you have a question related to an upcoming cruise or just want to meet other fellow cruisers, you are always welcome!

Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Ketchikan Alaska

PEB

Captain
Staff member
Ketchikan Alaska is one of the wettest places on earth. It is a rainforest. Some of the nice things about Ketchikan are the totem parks. These are very informative especially on the meaning behind the totem poles. Ketchikan also is an excellent place to see salmon when they are running. This is also a great place to do a kayaking tour. You can get up close to some of the sea-life in the area. There also is a very fun lumberjack show that is put on here.

I will admit one thing that has become disappointing in Ketchikan is that many shops affiliated with the cruise industry have taken over and ruined some of the special things and shops that Alaskans are known for. After all I do not go to Alaska to see a Caribbean Jewelry store. There are still Alaskan shops if you go on the backstreets of Ketchikan but the main drags are all shops with the same things you can get anywhere else.

When here take a walk down Creek Street for some interesting history. Fishing and flight seeing tours are also well worth doing out of this port. Some of the best tours I have done out of Ketchikan were all tours by water.

Pam in CA

Captain
Ketchikan is charming, or at least it used to be when I was there last. We took a Duck Tour that toured the town and then the harbor.

I just booked my Alaskan tours for my May cruise. Maybe I'm strange but I booked the "Deadliest Catch" tour which goes out on a crab boat and we see them catching crab. Probably barely authentic but I'm a huge fan of the show and have watched it since season 1.

PEB

Captain
Staff member
Obviously the tour is to give you an idea of what a crab boat is. You will not be going into the Bearing Sea in the winter months like when the show is filmed. It wouldn't be to safe and to smart to lose tourists on the crab boat LOL.

onlyrocknroll

Deckhand
We went to that lumberjack show-it was a lot of fun. I had lunch at a seafood place that was practically next door-they had this really good coleslaw and soy-based tartar sauce(which turned out to be really good)

My son and I just did the Bear Creek rain forest canopy zipline and it was FANTASTIC :) !! Worth every penny. I've never done a zip before and the 'crew' made everyone comfortable from the beginning with the gear and what to expect. They were all very friendly and funny and that eased my concern. I highly recommend this tour and will do it again when I go back. Having a sunny day was a big plus. Lots of eagles but no bear sightings ~ the 'chute' at the end was a scary blast. :D