• Hello visitor!

We are happy to see you have stopped by and hope you will consider registering with our community. Whether you have a question related to an upcoming cruise or just want to meet other fellow cruisers, you are always welcome!

Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Juneau of 2013

PEB

Captain
Staff member
We have cruised Alaska many times and been in Juneau each and every time. The town of Juneau has not changed drastically. It does have a few more cruise line related shops but has not gone as nuts as Ketchikan. Juneau is still one of the best places to do whale watching. I did three whale watches her this year as I always do in Juneau. I do not go with the cruise lines. They pack to many people on a boat for me and it is not as enjoyable. I do a whale watch with the only remaining local whale watch tour left in Alaska. Orca Enterprises. This year we also decided to go up to Mendenhall Glacier, which we have not done in a while. This is one of the few glaciers that you can get fairly close to. It also has a great viewing and information center. If you go here there is a $3 charge to get into the information center if you are on your own and not a tour.

This year my wife decided she wanted to do something different and just rode the local bus around the city. She was very pleased with the trip. She got to see parts of the city that tourists never really get to see. She said the people on the bus were very nice and polite. The passengers were also willing to tell her stories of the different areas of the city. This only cost her $2.50 every time she got off the bus and back on. Much cheaper then a tour.

If you just want a cheap way to look around the city you may want to take the local bus if you are in the port for a long day.

PEB

Captain
Staff member
I have quite a few pictures of Mendenhall Glacier also, but more of whales from this year and past years. I do not take as many pictures anymore, because I find I miss a lot of things when I take pictures and spend so much time looking through the camera. I prefer to see the overall site and making more memories then pictures.​