• Hello visitor!

We are happy to see you have stopped by and hope you will consider registering with our community. Whether you have a question related to an upcoming cruise or just want to meet other fellow cruisers, you are always welcome!

Hope to see you on the forums soon!

John & Mary

Neil

Deckhand
Hope John & Mary have a great time on their cruise and the weather stays fine for them.

John

Deckhand
Thanks for the best wishes.

We are really in need of this cruise. The past few weeks have been hard for us following the death of Mary's mum and then last week my mother went into hospital for retina macular surgery, so for the past week I have been looking after my parents as my father is disabled. In fact at the weekend he had a minor stroke which left him temporarily paralysed. He is now able to move about again, but it was a scare. My brother and sister will take over caring duties whilst we are away recharging our batteries.

alphakitty

Deckhand
Oh John..you and your parents have had their share for a while. Sorry to hear of your troubles. As our parents age, it does get harder. My mom has macular degeneration, is legally blind from it and is now in an assisted living facility. It's been a rough few years for her adjusting. Very sad.

You and Mary really DO need this cruise....go, relax, enjoy! :)

Enrique

Deckhand
I am sorry to hear about your loss, John.

I hope you enjoy your well deserved cruise in the upcoming days!

Neil

Deckhand
Hi John

I hope your cruise proves a good tonic for you.

As you know I have lost both my parents so I know what it is like when they pass away or are sick.

Hope you will feel refreshed on your return.

Neil

Deckhand
Picture of the Fred Olsen cruise ship Balmoral arriving off the port of Dover, UK.

Hope John & Mary had a trouble free trip to the port.
02.07 BALMORAL ARRIVING DOVER.jpg

Neil

Deckhand
Tbis morning John and Mary are cruising at 18.4 knots in the North Sea as Balmoral heads for the northern part of Norway and the port of Narvik.

Neil

Deckhand
Just been having a check on the AIS ship position maps and Balmoral has slowed down tonight to about 14 knots.

Neil

Deckhand
This morning the AIS maps are showing the Balmoral as cruising at 16.6 knots.

She is due to arrive at the Norwegian port of Narvik on Monday morning.

Neil

Deckhand
The AIS maps are showing Balmoral cruising at 17.8 knots as she enters the Arctic Circle and heads to the Norwegian port of Narvik.

Narvik is about 140 miles within the Arctic circle. :cool:

Showers are forecast for Monday when Balmoral arrives in port. :crap:

The temperature is expect to reach a high of about 64 f so John & Mary should not require their thermals ! :hoh:

Neil

Deckhand
The Fred Olsen website is showing the Balmoral as cruising at 18.7 knots today.

She is listed for a early PM arrival at Narvik.

Neil

Deckhand
Not too sure what is going on aboard Balmoral today.

( Hope John is not driving ) :laughalot:

The Fred Olsen website, the AIS ship position map for the ship, and the port information for Narvik all showed the Balmoral as docking today.

However the ship has been on a coastal crawl and from the AIS ship position map appeared to be about two miles off the coast as they passed Bodo about 1830 hrs, having let a ferry leave the port first.

From her position on the AIS ship position map tonight it now looks as if she will dock in Narvik on Tuesday morning.

Tonight she is at present cruising at 13 knots.

Neil

Deckhand
Hi Champ 2

I have also been through a long list of websites and no sign of Balmoral although the AIS map is showing her as arriving about 05.00 hrs.

Her next port is shown as Honningsvag on the 7th July 2010.

Neil

Deckhand
It would appear Balmoral sailed about 11.00 hrs according to the AIS ship position map.

Hope John & Mary enjoyed their short time ashore.

Some pictures of Narvik -
06.07 Narvik 1.jpg
06.07 Narvik 2.jpg
06.07 narvik 3.jpg

Neil

Deckhand
Balmoral was cruising earlier this evening at 19.2 knots and appeared to be taking the inland route round some of the islands on her way to Honningsvag.

I expect this is an advantage of being on a Fred Olsen cruise ship visiting this area as their captains are Norwegian so will be very familiar with these waters.

Neil

Deckhand
Balmoral has made it to the North Cape port of Honningsvag and in port with her today is the classic cruise ship Mona Lisa. :)

From her track on the AIS map it appears she berthed about 07.00 hrs.

Local webcam picture shows the bow area of the Mona Lisa in the foreground and Balmoral in the background.

Hope John & Mary get back on the right ship ! :hoh:

Her next port is shown on the AIS ship position map as Longyearbyen Svalbard, on the 9th July, so it looks as if the itinerary has been changed from that in the Fred Olsen brochure.
07.07 honn.jpg

Neil

Deckhand
Now that the Mona Lisa has sailed the webcam is showing a better view of the Balmoral this afternoon.

Can't see John & Mary waving though ! :hoh:
07.07 bal.jpg