1. Hello visitor!

We are happy to see you have stopped by and hope you will consider registering with our community. Whether you have a question related to an upcoming cruise or just want to meet other fellow cruisers, you are always welcome!

Hope to see you on the forums soon!

How's about Phuket?

Discussion in 'Far East' started by Solent Richard, Aug 5, 2016.

1. Solent Richard

Solent Richard Deckhand

Phuket, on the Western coast of Thailand is attracting a number of cruise ships for day visits.

Phuket is basically a holiday destination for visitors who really want to enjoy the sun, sea and sand: a beach style holiday with a fast night life.

That's not always what cruise passengers like and on a recent visit my wife and I discovered an excursion that was unusual, fun and straight out of a James Bond Movie.

Situated 25 km north east of the island of Phuket is the Thai National Park of Phang Nga. It consists of numerous dramatic limestone cliffs rising sheer out of the waters. The most famous one of these sheer pinnacles is James Bond Island and joining a James Bond Island tour and cruise the Phang Nga Bay is the second most popular activity in the region.

My wife and I recently chose to take the more leisurely way of discovering this amazing area of outstanding natural beauty while experiencing the romance and leisurely transit of the Phang Nga Bay aboard a traditional Siamese Junk: a magical cruise along one of the world’s most spectacular coastlines.

Welcome to the well-appointed June Bahtra…

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The limestone outcrops of Phang Nga are legendary...

[​IMG]

Around 40 metres from the shores of Khao Phing Kan lies a 20-metre tall islet called Ko Tapu, popularly called …….James Bond Island

[​IMG]

...complete with what appeared to be a Bond Girl to act as a prop in my photograph...

[​IMG]

The day also included a stop at the settlement at Ko Panyi (also known as Koh Panyee) was established at the end of the 18th century by nomadic Malay fisherman. The population consists of 360 families or 1,685 people all descended from 2 seafaring Muslim families…

[​IMG]

...and an excellent on board lunch...

[​IMG]

A full review of our day out in Phuket can be found by clicking the link to my blog site...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2015/10/13/one-way-to-do-phuket/