1. Hello visitor!

We are happy to see you have stopped by and hope you will consider registering with our community. Whether you have a question related to an upcoming cruise or just want to meet other fellow cruisers, you are always welcome!

Hope to see you on the forums soon!

How do you like our new forum layout?

Discussion in 'Announcements & Support' started by Brent W, Jul 17, 2013.

1. Brent W

Brent W Captain Staff Member

With the help of @Pam in CA I spent some time digging deep into our forum and making some pretty significant layout changes that I hope will make things easier on you all when it comes to easily finding and creating topics you care about.

You will notice that we have an expanded Cruise Destination area now with forums for popular destinations around the world. We are still working to move threads into each section, so look for the counts to grow over time.

We also streamlined our Cruise Line forums and have only included forums for some of our most popular Cruise Lines. If you do not see the Cruise Line you wish to create a topic about, then feel free to use our Other Cruise Lines forum.

Upgraded Forum Software

Over the last few weeks we have also upgraded our forum software to our latest version as well. Among some of the changes is a brand new editor that makes creating posts and uploading images even easier.

We are also looking at upgrading our Media Gallery as well soon, which will bring back user albums.

Moderators

Over the next few weeks we will be monitoring users to see who we think would make a great addition to our moderation team. We are looking for friendly cruise enthusiasts who would like to help us grow Cruising Talk. We will make further announcements about this as the time gets closer to make a decision.

We hope to see you on CruisingTalk.com soon and look forward to hearing about all your experiences during your travels!

- Brent, Rex and Pam

2. Rick Mayville

Rick Mayville Deckhand

Don't care for the new format.

3. Brent W

Can you expand?

4. Pam in CA

Pam in CA Captain

Rick, is there anything specific you don't like about it? Is it harder for you to find content? Is it confusing?

Most people cruise a region so the goal is to have content related to that region in one place: itineraries, what to see, shore excursions, etc.

Suggestions are helpful and welcome. Your feedback is important to us.

Brent W likes this.
  5. jack100

jack100 Deckhand

There are certain things about the format that I am not exactly in tune with so maybe Rick Mayville has a point.

I do appreciate you giving us members a chance to respond if we are not happy about the forum layout ....and Pam for her answer above.
    Things that I notice are....
    Why do you have the non-cruising topic right at the top ?
    I thought the coffee shop topic section was better at the bottom after all it is for topics not related to cruising and this is a cruising forum.
    Do other members think it is better at the top where it is ?
    If they do then I won't comment on it again.

Another thing on the format I think isn't quite right is that you have cruise destinations above that of cruise lines. I personally think that cruise line section should be above the cruise destination section.....again just my opinion

There are further comments I might make but for now ...something for you to consider.

6. Brent W

Thanks for the feedback.

We were trying to gauge which area would be used the most, the Destinations or the Cruise Lines. We can easily swap those up should others feel that Cruise Lines is more important to them.

As far as The Coffee Shop, I didn't figure it would matter that much considering it was just one forum. We wanted to have the Intro Forum at the top so that new members could easily find where to make their first post. The Coffee Shop just felt right up there with it.

I'll see if others have any opinions on it as well. Thanks for your detailed reply though. We want to make the forum about our members so, of course, your feedback is important.

7. Brent W

I also did not realize that there were so many sticky posts in the Other Cruise Line forum. This has been cleaned up now.

8. jack100

jack100 Deckhand

Good, glad you did that as it needed to be done......

Do we really need the "info links" pop-up every time we look into the forum ?
    Yes I know its a way of making money by people clicking in the blue links in posts but I
    find it annoying that when I go to look at the forum, this annoying pop-up comes up.

Is this just happening to me or are others finding the same thing happening ?

9. Brent W

The Infolinks only shows up if you are not logged in. If you click the Remember Me button you should never see the infolinks.

10. bob brown

bob brown Deckhand

Hi.....
    I recently started receiving emails inviting me to come to this forum.....I was surprised to see that I was already a member since 2005.....and when I looked at my early posts, I find some from 2005. I vaguely recall those, but I thought that they were from the old Krooozcams forum......what gives?

11. Brent W

Hi Bob,

If I recall correctly. Kroozcams forum was merged in with CruisingTalk.com years ago.

12. bob brown

bob brown Deckhand

I wasn't aware of that....I remember when (IIRC Jeff, the owner of Krooozcams at the time) closed the forum, but continued the krooozcams site. Didn't know the forum was picked up by someone else, or is it still Jeff?

13. Brent W

It was picked up by @Enrique I believe. I purchased CruisingTalk from him last year.

14. PEB

PEB Captain Staff Member

Brent as you may have noticed I have started to post a few pictures from my last cruise. I do think that a little better instructions should be provided to post pictures. I believe this because it took me multiple steps to post pictures and some directions other then what is posted would have helped. All the categories for pictures are listed for ships because of this I am not sure if some people might be confused and just post pictures of ships, which is nice, but not post pictures of the areas they cruised in. I am wondering if there should be some general categories such as Alaska, Caribbean or the Med just for example.

Brent W likes this.
  15. Brent W

We plan on adding the locations as well. I will try to do that today.

16. Yosamitegirl

Yosamitegirl Deckhand

Why am I having such a hard time finding Roll Calls? Also, would be nice to have a "newbies" piece to explain all the site specific jargon/categories/points system that is easy to find when you start off.

17. Brent W

Hi. :)

I have made the Roll Calls a bit easier to find. They are under General Cruising Talk forum and now appear on the main page.

Some of your questions may be found here: http://www.cruisingtalk.com/help/

Feel free to ask if you have any more specific questions.

Yosamitegirl likes this.
  18. Solent Richard

Solent Richard Deckhand

It's very good but after being here a week it does need a report button to help eradicate the SPAM advertisements which can only do the site harm.