• Hello visitor!

We are happy to see you have stopped by and hope you will consider registering with our community. Whether you have a question related to an upcoming cruise or just want to meet other fellow cruisers, you are always welcome!

Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Hi! I'm new

dbcruise

Deckhand
to Cruising Talk. Just booked a cruise on NCL Jewel for 12/13/14. Has anyone sailed on her before? If so, let me know how you liked it. I love to cruise and travel. Live in a small town in Texas. I will look forward to talking to a bunch of you on the forums! :D

Pam in CA

Captain
Welcome! I haven't cruised on NCL but have friends who enjoy their "freestyle" cruising.

Have a great cruise and I hope you post a review. :)

PEB

Captain
Staff member
Welcome to the board, I hope you find it helpful. The true difference in NCL over the other cruise lines is the fact that there is no set dining time or set tables to sit at for dining. If you find a certain set of wait staff that you like you can request to sit at their table, with no guarantee's. You will find that lines still can build up at the dining rooms only because people tend to like to eat at specific times even though there are no set times for dining. The dining rooms are only open certain hours which will be listed in your daily newsletter.

There is no set formal dining dress code, however there will be a night listed if you want to dress formal and they may set aside a particular dining room for this.

The rest of the cruise is like other cruise lines. The shows are at specific times, tours leave at specific times, lectures are at specific times and the pools and other areas all have specific hours.

NCL does provide a good product it is just a little more relaxed. If you like the formal things of other cruise lines you may not enjoy NCL as much, however there is plenty to do and the crew will take care of you just like the other cruise lines.

PEB

Captain
Staff member
I have heard nothing but good things about the river cave tubing. I have been to Belize but not on that tour and it was a few years ago. Belize was a beautiful place and if I remember correctly we had to tender in there. They may have a pier by now but not sure.

Pam in CA

Captain
Yes, you still tender although the pier area has grown tremendously with lots of shops and restaurants. Depending on which tender dock you disembark at, it can be a short or longer walk to the entrance, which is at the far left end when approaching the dock.