• Hello visitor!

We are happy to see you have stopped by and hope you will consider registering with our community. Whether you have a question related to an upcoming cruise or just want to meet other fellow cruisers, you are always welcome!

Hope to see you on the forums soon!

HI I'm new here!

jrmende63

Deckhand
jeff said:
Hello Julie
I did an Alaskan cruise in 1998 and 2001, although on Celebrity a very similar itinerary. It appears you have researched your ports well and are abreast of what each has to offer. I'll just insert my comments next to yours.

jeff
Thanks for the suggestions Jeff. I have thought about doing the hottubs on the seaday...but wondered if I would freeze on the way to the cabin to change! I am not really a drinker but definately will stop in the the Red onion.:joy:
I will check out the bargins in Ketchikan...I thought about doing Island wings Misty Fjords flight, but with Temsco already paid for I will have to wait until next time.

Liz

Deckhand
Well, actually, we've never had a REAL Alaska stalk before. :roll: Maybe Skagway looks promising???????

Standing by those tracks, waving, at an appointed time???:joy:
Skagwaystalk.jpg

David West

Deckhand
Welcome to the board, and congrats on your upcoming 25'th cruise anniversary. There's no better way to celebrate your aniv. than on a cruise. :clap:
The wife and I celebrated our 25'th anniversary on the Conquest. It was great ! If your anniversary day is during your cruise, try the Point Supper Club. (not sure what its called on the Spirit) But its worth the extra charge for such a special night.
Also,another choice is, if you'll tell the Maitre'd, they'll have a happy for you that night in the dining room. On ours, they had us a bottle of wine,and a cake, which we shared with our table guest.
The only thing that I would do over is, I would buy a video of our cruise.
Wishing you a very happy anniversary, and a fun vacation; 8)

Jackie

Deckhand
Looks to me as though the cam is placed on one of the shops in Skagway, which overlooks the snow plough engine. ( you cannot miss it)
If you are arranging a stalk , do it when you return from the White Horse Pass trip. You do not want to miss that by hanging around. We went on the early tour and there was another one waiting to board when we returned to the centre. In fact ours was a one way rail journey, we went up on a coach, so we could see the pass with the train and the waterfalls from the bus.
On the return journey, we saw a brown bear on the line. The guy who was commentating said he had never seen one before . He had been doing the job for a number of years, but I cannot just remember how many years he said. When we returned, we had a few hours to shop and take photos. I remember one shop assistant saying it was far too hot, it shouldn't be that hot in Skagway( 82 degrees- July 8th? 2003)

jrmende63

Deckhand
Liz said:
Well, actually, we've never had a REAL Alaska stalk before. Maybe Skagway looks promising???????

Standing by those tracks, waving, at an appointed time???:joy:
I get off the train at 1115 on May 21st...Can I just wave at the camera?:mrgreen:

jrmende63

Deckhand
David West said:
Welcome to the board, and congrats on your upcoming 25'th cruise anniversary. There's no better way to celebrate your aniv. than on a cruise. :clap:
The wife and I celebrated our 25'th anniversary on the Conquest. It was great ! If your anniversary day is during your cruise, try the Point Supper Club. (not sure what its called on the Spirit) But its worth the extra charge for such a special night.
Also,another choice is, if you'll tell the Maitre'd, they'll have a happy for you that night in the dining room. On ours, they had us a bottle of wine,and a cake, which we shared with our table guest.
The only thing that I would do over is, I would buy a video of our cruise.
Wishing you a very happy anniversary, and a fun vacation; 8)
Thank you very much! We are actually having our anniversary April 4th, but since Alaska does not "open" until May, we will be going in May. However, my MIL and FIL who are going with us ( separate cabins!) have their anniversary on May 18th, so we are going to the Supper club to celebrate both anniversaries!
BTW...where is Pearl Miss? My son is stationed in Gulfport, Miss.

Dani

Deckhand
You must not miss the Raptor Center. It is a real up close and personal with the eagles,etc. Being a bird person, I was in rapture at the raptor center.
We bought our son a beautiful ski jacket there with an eagle and map embroidered on the back. He still wears it to this day.

Sitka was by far our most favorite port. Maybe because the amount of ships are limited and we did not feel crowded. Also the temperature is very much the same all year around. Our tour included the Totem Park and old Russian Church.

The weather in May would be much to our liking. We went in Sept. and it was so hot in the ship. We had an inside cabin, had the stewart block the vent with cardboard and still we fried. People were bursting out onto the deck for fresh air. This was on the Mercury when she was brand new. I guess they thought you are in Alaska, you must be cold...I think not...we could wear shorts in Juneau. And then they served "Baked Alaskan " one night !!

The Brown Bear that was seen on one trip. You know the guy that stands on the corner in a Chicken suit waving a going out of business sign ? Huh-Huh...
he works in Skagway during tourist season. The shops pay him to saunter out of the woods when a tourist bus/trains comes by.

Poor guy has a heck of a time adjusting to walking on two legs after the
Alaska season.

Also don't buy that bag of authentic Glacier Chips, they will not make it back home!

In Ketchikan, Dolly's house is a good choice. We went walking by and a lady in red complete with feather boa was "in character " plying her trade. She did fine until my husband pulled out his wallet ! Then her face matched her dress.

You will have fun. Good idea to go now before the Ice all melts up there from Global warming.

jrmende63

Deckhand
Dani said:
You must not miss the Raptor Center. It is a real up close and personal with the eagles,etc. Being a bird person, I was in rapture at the raptor center.
We bought our son a beautiful ski jacket there with an eagle and map embroidered on the back. He still wears it to this day.

Sitka was by far our most favorite port. Maybe because the amount of ships are limited and we did not feel crowded. Also the temperature is very much the same all year around. Our tour included the Totem Park and old Russian Church.

The weather in May would be much to our liking. We went in Sept. and it was so hot in the ship. We had an inside cabin, had the stewart block the vent with cardboard and still we fried. People were bursting out onto the deck for fresh air. This was on the Mercury when she was brand new. I guess they thought you are in Alaska, you must be cold...I think not...we could wear shorts in Juneau. And then they served "Baked Alaskan " one night !!

The Brown Bear that was seen on one trip. You know the guy that stands on the corner in a Chicken suit waving a going out of business sign ? Huh-Huh...
he works in Skagway during tourist season. The shops pay him to saunter out of the woods when a tourist bus/trains comes by.

Poor guy has a heck of a time adjusting to walking on two legs after the
Alaska season.

Also don't buy that bag of authentic Glacier Chips, they will not make it back home!

In Ketchikan, Dolly's house is a good choice. We went walking by and a lady in red complete with feather boa was "in character " plying her trade. She did fine until my husband pulled out his wallet ! Then her face matched her dress.

You will have fun. Good idea to go now before the Ice all melts up there from Global warming.
Thanks for the tips Dani! We are planning to go to the Raptor center! I looked at their gift shop last night, WOW! Neat stuff! We have a tour in Ketchikan that includes Dolly's house. I just got that tour signed up today.:mrgreen: