• Hello visitor!

We are happy to see you have stopped by and hope you will consider registering with our community. Whether you have a question related to an upcoming cruise or just want to meet other fellow cruisers, you are always welcome!

Hope to see you on the forums soon!

HI I'm new here!

jrmende63

Deckhand
Hi, I am Julie from SC, Hubster is Randall. We are going on our first cruise in May!:green: We have also never been to Alaska so it is a first too! love the kroooz cams!

robyn

Gondoliere
Hi Julie! Welcome to the forum, what a wonderful way to celebrate your first cruise, first time in Alaska....and a wedding anniversary too!

Best wishes

Dani

Deckhand
Hi there,

What ship are you sailing on ? What ports are you visiting ?

We have been to Alaska. Loved Sitka Island and Skagway the most.

May is a great time to go. Not crowded and the weather will be brisk.

Believe it or not in the summer it can get Hot up there.

Welcome aboard Kroooz-Forums.

Jackie

Deckhand
Julie,
We were in Akaska on Infinity in July 2003, but I have been told that May is a good time to go, as you don't get bitten by midges ( bugs). But we never saw any.

Poppy218

Deckhand
Hi Julie! Welcome to a great bunch of friends!! :joy: My cruising is confined to a narrowboat on the English canals but its still krooozing!!

Enjoy the forum and your cruise!!

(Hey! I just noticed I made it to Stairwell Polisher!!! WooHoo!! Mr Sheen at the ready!!)

joespit

Deckhand
Hi Julie and Randall Welcome aboard. Look forward to your postings. Alaska was my first cruise Star Princess June 2002. We enjoyed. The best part was the snorkel excursion.

NJVIC

Deckhand
Hello -

- Julie and Randall and welcome to the group - You can look forward to interesting posts, comedy relief and great Kroooz reports. As CruiseDJ said - it is a wonderful family!

Vic.

WElcome to the wonderfull world of Krooozing!!!!, you should have fun on that trip. We have freinds who live In Nanamio BC just 3o miunutes out of Vancouver port and we see that ship all the time. You will have a great time eating Lobster 3 out of the 7 nights.

Mike:clap:

Lancashirelad

Deckhand
Welcome aboard Julie and Randall. Hope you enjoy your first cruise, but watch out for the cruising bug, if it gets you there is no cure, all you can do is keep cruising.

jrmende63

Deckhand
Dani said:
Hi there,

What ship are you sailing on ? What ports are you visiting ?

We have been to Alaska. Loved Sitka Island and Skagway the most.

May is a great time to go. Not crowded and the weather will be brisk.

Believe it or not in the summer it can get Hot up there.

Welcome aboard Kroooz-Forums.
Hi , I am on the Carnival Spirit, May 17,2006. We leave from Vancouver BC and stop in Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway and Sitka. I am really excited about going!:mrgreen:

Liz

Deckhand
AND TAKE WARM CLOTHES:D

While there is no cam on Spirit, you should be WELL stalkable at the ports. Will put you on the Calendar. GOOD HEAVENS, May is getting FULL:mrgreen:

jrmende63

Deckhand
Thanks for the welcome!

I have already said I'm excited about going...but I can't contain the excitement! I go to Alaska boards every day! I read all the reviews I can find! My hubster says I should become a travel agent because I will know all there is to know by the time our trip gets here. NOT!!! I always can use more info!

Has anyone been before? to Alaska I mean? I am wondering about some of the excursions.
this is what we have planned so far:
our vacation starts on May 13th. We drive to Indiana from SC and pick up the MIL and FIL. And visit with all of our family that lives in Indiana. Fly to Vancouver BC on May 16th. Spend the night at the Sandman Airport. get a good nights sleep and wake up refreshed and ready to board the Carnival Spirit on May 17.
Seaday on May 18...attend wine class I hope, among other fun things
May 19th Ketchikan: I am thinking of either walking around on Creek st and shopping or doing Sourdough tours, best of Ketchikan. Takes you to Totem Bight and Saxman, Dolly's house for $45 pp.
May 20th Juneau: Temsco helicopters are taking hubster and I to Mendenhall Glacier ( you see our surname is Mendenhall, so it is OUR glacier!) The Mil and Fil are going to do goldpanning and salmon bake in Juneau. I also want to go to the Mendenhall visitor center and Look around Juneau as well. I also want a halibut sandwhich and Alaskan ale
May 21st Skagway: We are all on the WP&YR railroad bright and early with departure at 8:15am! I think we will do some shopping here as well.
May 22nd Sitka: We are going to go on a wildlife cruise with Sitka Secrets. It is at 12:30- 4pm so I think we might go to the raptor center as well.
May 23 College Fjords
May 24 Whittier: Post cruise excursion to Mt. Aleyska and Alaskan Cultural Heritage Center. Our flight from ANC does not leave until 1:30 am so we have lots of time to kill. The post cruise excursion is for 6.5 hours and then we plan to have dinner in ANC. :joy: :joy:

So how does it sound? Any suggestions? anything you would do different?

Liz

Deckhand
Maybe save time for a Kroooz-cam stalk at one of the ports????? But it would have to be pre-arranged:D

What you have planned sounds GREAT to me, but never been there:eek: LOTS of us HAVE. Expect they might have some suggestions????

jeff

Master of the Vessel
Hello Julie
I did an Alaskan cruise in 1998 and 2001, although on Celebrity a very similar itinerary. It appears you have researched your ports well and are abreast of what each has to offer. I'll just insert my comments next to yours.

jeff

jrmende63 said:
I have already said I'm excited about going...but I can't contain the excitement! I go to Alaska boards every day! I read all the reviews I can find! My hubster says I should become a travel agent because I will know all there is to know by the time our trip gets here. NOT!!! I always can use more info!

Has anyone been before? to Alaska I mean? I am wondering about some of the excursions.
this is what we have planned so far:
our vacation starts on May 13th. We drive to Indiana from SC and pick up the MIL and FIL. And visit with all of our family that lives in Indiana. Fly to Vancouver BC on May 16th. Spend the night at the Sandman Airport. get a good nights sleep and wake up refreshed and ready to board the Carnival Spirit on May 17.
Seaday on May 18...attend wine class I hope, among other fun things
Try using the hottubs on your sea day. It is really excillarating to be neck deep in hot water (steam all around you) while sailing past snow covered mountain peaks.
May 19th Ketchikan: I am thinking of either walking around on Creek st and shopping or doing Sourdough tours, best of Ketchikan. Takes you to Totem Bight and Saxman, Dolly's house for $45 pp.
I'm not much of a shopper, but I did find Ketchikan had the best prices for T-Shirts and such. Good place to stock up. It rains here a lot, afterall Southeast Alaska is a rainforest. Don't forget your bumpershoot! One of the things Ketchikan is famous for is the float planes. You can do a floatplane to the Misty Fjords which is spectacular. I've done it with Island Wings with a 30 minute landing in the fjords and through the cruiseline with a floatplane there and a small boat back. I found the boat ride back to be too long and prefered the air both ways.
May 20th Juneau: Temsco helicopters are taking hubster and I to Mendenhall Glacier ( you see our surname is Mendenhall, so it is OUR glacier!) The Mil and Fil are going to do goldpanning and salmon bake in Juneau. I also want to go to the Mendenhall visitor center and Look around Juneau as well. I also want a halibut sandwhich and Alaskan ale
Don't forget the Red Dog Saloon for a quick toast to all of us! You will love Temsco Helicopters! Anyone who does not do a helicopter excursion when in Alaska will not have those truly spectacular memories. Expensive but worth every dime.
May 21st Skagway: We are all on the WP&YR railroad bright and early with departure at 8:15am! I think we will do some shopping here as well.
I have heard that the tour guide on the Yukon Rail actually jumps into the water at the top of the summit. It was all snow and ice when I was there so no swimming. Maybe it will be warm enough for a pool of water on your trip. Check out the cemetary in Skagway as well as the snow plow engine in front of the train station. You can't believe how much it snows here.
May 22nd Sitka: We are going to go on a wildlife cruise with Sitka Secrets. It is at 12:30- 4pm so I think we might go to the raptor center as well.
Sitka is a charming town/island. Plan for lots of time to just walk around. There is a museum there as well. Raptor center sounds great. You won't believe all of the eagles you are going to see. They are as plentiful as crows at home.
May 23 College Fjords
May 24 Whittier: Post cruise excursion to Mt. Aleyska and Alaskan Cultural Heritage Center. Our flight from ANC does not leave until 1:30 am so we have lots of time to kill. The post cruise excursion is for 6.5 hours and then we plan to have dinner in ANC. :joy: :joy:

So how does it sound? Any suggestions? anything you would do different?

jrmende63

Deckhand
Liz said:
Maybe save time for a Kroooz-cam stalk at one of the ports????? But it would have to be pre-arranged:D

What you have planned sounds GREAT to me, but never been there LOTS of us HAVE. Expect they might have some suggestions????
I am game for a Kroooz-cam stalk! Just let me know how, where and when! I would love to be stalked by Krooozers!:mrgreen: