• Hello visitor!

We are happy to see you have stopped by and hope you will consider registering with our community. Whether you have a question related to an upcoming cruise or just want to meet other fellow cruisers, you are always welcome!

Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Have you been to Hell/Turtle Farm ?

Elizanessie

Deckhand
We are thinking of visiting Hell this time when we are in Grand Caymen...but unsure of the best way to get there....should we go by taxi or is there a local bus we could get?

Would be grateful for any advice on this please :D

Thanks

red stripe

Deckhand
the best bet is a taxi.. but in honesty.. other than being able to say that you have been to hell.. there is really not much there.

jdkey

Deckhand
don't bother

we went last year & it is a pile of rock with a cut out of a devil you stick your head through for pictures. Oh and there is t-shirt store with funny sayings about being at hell. You can send a postcard postmarked from hell. We couldn't find a taxi to just take us to hell had to do a tour to the turtle farm & rum cake factory store. it was ok. we had done the stingrays & were looking for something different. If you just want something to do go for it but if you miss it you haven't missed much.
Debbie

Elizanessie

Deckhand
Thanks Debbie :D

I wouldnt bother about going...its just the lads want to be able to say they have been to hell and back......(more like I will be saying that after the cruise with regard to them but hey:D )
Maybe they will decide (or Donna & I can persuade them) to give it a miss any enjoy the ship instead .

Thanks for your thoughts on this,much appreciated folks.:D

John

Deckhand
I agree that there is nothing special about Hell. It is fun to say you have been to Hell but that is as far as the joke goes. The rock formations are unusual. I would say don't make a special trip there but if you are on route it is worth a 10 minute stop.

I have uploaded a couple of photos into the photo gallery

MD11F

Deckhand
I've been to both locations twice, 1996, and 2005. You'll see turtles from smal hatchlings to large mature ones.You are allowed to picck up the smaller ones and pose for photos with them. Last year, we went back as an excursion bought on the Carnival Valor which included Hell. It is pile of limestone rock covered in algae, and there is a story about of how it got to be called Hell posted on the board on the lookout. If you go, just make it a 10 - 15 min stay. Make sure you go to Sting Ray City, that's real fun, or rather a blast. You go out in a boat to a sand bar, in waist deep water, and swim with the Sting Rays.

JSME

Deckhand
Liz I sent you a pm about Grand Cayman. If we do not use the tickets you guys are welcome to them. I will ask the family and see what they would like to do. I know some of us adults were thinking about a private beach party. So if we do that I am for doing that. But I know Jeff is not a beach person and GC is expensive to travel around. He has mentioned not going anywhere.

Elizanessie

Deckhand
Thank you so much Selena...you are a sweet lady....Hell is the only place the lads have mentioned with regard to this cruise....so I thought I would indulge them with a visit there....after all it is their cruise too eh....keep the kids happy means happy adults :biglaugh:

red stripe

Deckhand
agree on the stingray city..

Stingray city.
That is something that I have done a few times, and never get tired of it.
if you do decide to do this, then look for a tour that will give you optimum time at the sandbar, and not side track you with trips to a place to snorkel etc.
I did that one, and the snorkel place was not that outstanding.. and this is something you can do on other islands.. But swimming with the rays is a one off..

Once you have been in the water with them, you will hate to waste time elsewhere.

and good evening Liz :banana:

Elizanessie

Deckhand
Thanks Red.....and hello ..nice to see you.:banana:

Oh gosh so many different things to do....thanks for everyones input...I appreciate it.:biggrinangelA:

I will let them read what you have all said and let them decide.

Thanks again

red stripe

Deckhand
tell 'em they see hell ever time they get your back up :evel: .. but how many times do they get to stand in water with large sting rays and feed them baby octopus? :smilewinkgrin:

cheers,:beerchug:

Elizanessie

Deckhand
Hhahahah Red...you know me too well ..hahahha

Yes I think the stingrays might win in the end ......a once in lifetime experience probably for the lads....cause I think after this cruise I wont want to cruise with them both again :nuts:

I have the duct tape already packed ;)

JSME

Deckhand
Elizanessie said:
Thank you so much Selena...you are a sweet lady....Hell is the only place the lads have mentioned with regard to this cruise....so I thought I would indulge them with a visit there....after all it is their cruise too eh....keep the kids happy means happy adults :biglaugh:

Jeff is not interested in going off the ship at all in GC but I am not sure about Mac and E. I know E would love the turtle farm but Jeff really does not want to get off the ship. Not sure if E realizes what is at GC yet or not. I had wanted to do the private beach party but not sure if that is going to work out or not. Not sure if we are going to use the tickets or not. I will let you know. I need to ask Jeff but I keep on putting it off. I know we have the big Jamaican excursion and not sure if Jeff cares to do much more than that. He is telling E they can do the various onboard activities this day. I will let you know something soon Liz.

JSME

Deckhand
Elizanessie said:
Hhahahah Red...you know me too well ..hahahha

Yes I think the stingrays might win in the end ......a once in lifetime experience probably for the lads....cause I think after this cruise I wont want to cruise with them both again :nuts:

I have the duct tape already packed ;)
What is the duct tape for? We had thought of doing this and had the excursion booked then my kids found out it was in open water and they freaked out. Terrifed like their mom of sharks. lol We did a stingray swim as an excursion on the Wonder a few years back. It had predator netting so now my kids thing all places should have that netting. I have to say DCL has us spoiled in that regard.

red stripe

Deckhand
The duct tape is for when Liz has had all she can take of the kids :fing23:

sorry that they are afraid.. these creatures are wonderful, and not in the least like sharks.
I am 5 foot tall, and I will never forget having one ray flat up against my back, while another was plastered to my front.. I was a sting ray sandwich .

You are on a sandbar (or this is the tour I would do..) and can stand on the bottom.
if you are worried about stepping on one, then wear beach shoes if allowed. But these gentle creautres are well skilled at getting out if the way of floundering humans.

red stripe

Deckhand
Selena,
I would think about booking the sandbar sting ray tour. as even if when out there they elect not to get off the boat.. the ride and being able to watch these creatures up close is a treat.
And you never know.. when they see everyone of all ages pile off the boat and into the water.. they may give it a try.
Oh yes..
I am also afraid of sharks.. and will not go where I feel there is the slightest risk.