• Hello visitor!

We are happy to see you have stopped by and hope you will consider registering with our community. Whether you have a question related to an upcoming cruise or just want to meet other fellow cruisers, you are always welcome!

Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Haines Alaska 2013

PEB

Captain
Staff member
On our recent Statendam cruise we stopped in Haines on the southbound cruise. You can do tours in Haines from Skagway if you wish, most ships do not stop in Haines. Haines at one time was a military base and part of that base is made into a museum like area for tourists. One of the big things to do in Haines is head out to see wildlife especially eagles. The thing I like most about Haines is the fact that it is staying local. There are many nice local shops, art and other things to see and do that are Alaskan.

The people in Haines are very friendly and helpful if you just want to walk around or rent a car. There is a shuttle that runs from the pier when the ships are docked there and they are only $1 to ride.

Pam in CA

Captain
Thanks for the info. I've looked into going to Haines while in Skagway but wasn't sure what there was there that I wouldn't/couldn't see in the Skagway area. :)

PEB

Captain
Staff member
Pam Haines has great wildlife tours. We took one on shallow river boats and saw many eagles and also were fortunate to see a mother moose with her calf. The scenery is beautiful. The only problem is that sometimes there are rock slides that block the main road on the way to some areas. They do clear them fast but if they have been having a lot of rain rock and mud slides do happen.

Pam in CA

Captain
Sounds interesting. Would love to see more eagles. Moose are pretty common in NH so that wouldn't excite me too much. :)