• Hello visitor!

We are happy to see you have stopped by and hope you will consider registering with our community. Whether you have a question related to an upcoming cruise or just want to meet other fellow cruisers, you are always welcome!

Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Great beach reads....

BoHunk

Deckhand
Please come share your favorite books and get some great reading ideas...

Dixie like to play Northern or Southern author....

BarbO1999

Deckhand
I like to read most anything except science fiction or self help books! My favorites are murders, serial killers, and crime...so maybe I oculd use those self help books to help this warped mind!

alphakitty

Deckhand
Some of my fav authors for good chick kinda books, beach reads are

Janet Evanovich - especially her Stephanie Plum series. Stephanie is a Joisy Girl with attitude and they are written with a great sense of humor and are action packed.

I also really enjoy Jennifer Weiner, author of "Good in Bed" and "In her Shoes". The latter was a pretty crappy movie with Cameron Diaz, but the book was good.

Ally

Deckhand
My favourite book at the moment, which I have read through several times and it gets me every time, 'The Two of Us' by Sheila Hancock, about her life with the late John Thaw. Wonderful book, cleverly written with their life stories and their film/tv/theatre careers and slipped in passages from Sheila's own thoughts as John was diagnosed with cancer of the oesophagus and how he coped with the treatment and how she would cry in the bathroom about what was happening and on to the night he passed away in her arms and the outpouring of public emotions and the memorial services after he died.

Beautiful and touching book and one I heartily recommend...its dreadfully sad, incredibly funny and truly heartwarming. :)

John Thaw

John was best known for his roles as Regan in The Sweeney, and in Inspector Morse and Goodnight Mr Tom.

He was a favourite actor in the UK and had a huge fanbase. Sheila is also an established actress.
essays_thaw.jpg
hancocklowresb.gif
sheila.jpg

Captain Larry

Deckhand
I realize that this is just between you ladies, but I thought I would offer a little anecdote. Several years ago I loaned my copy of Tom Clancy's "Hunt for Red October" to our pastor when he and his family went to the Outer Banks of North Carolina for a camping vacation. In the book, the submarine was hidden in Okrakoke Sound. In the movie they decided to put in in Cosco Bay, for some reason. But Pastor Frank was sitting on the banks of the Okrakoke Sound reading the book when it suddenly dawned on him that he was looking at the very spot described in the book. It seemed to enhance his enjoyment.

Taggart

Deckhand
One of my favourite books is The Havana Room by Colin Harrison.

It moves quickly with interesting twists, and I think it would be ideal as a literary escape while on vacation.

dianepm

Deckhand
A good book for the Carribean would be Nora Robert's "The Reef". It's set off of St. Kit's (I think, been awhile since I've read it). It's about a family of divers looking for a suken ship. It's really good.

BoHunk

Deckhand
I need a book for my down time at work....one that I can pick up and read easily but put away and return to after a time and not be totally lost...

alphakitty

Deckhand
I really like her stuff, definately Northern as the series is set in New Jersey. The series of Stephainie Plum novels starts out with One for the Money then Two for the Dough...Three to get Deadly, etc. You can read them out of order, but if you haven't read any, might as well start at the beginning. LOL

While I was away, I read Skinny Dip by Carl Hiaasen. Good easy read...funny and a mystery too. It's about a woman who is thrown off a cruise ship by her hubby. But she's an expert swimmer and makes her way to an island floating on a bale of Jamaican pot. LOL It was a good cruise read.

BoHunk

Deckhand
While I was away, I read Skinny Dip by Carl Hiaasen. Good easy read...funny and a mystery too. It's about a woman who is thrown off a cruise ship by her hubby. But she's an expert swimmer and makes her way to an island floating on a bale of Jamaican pot. LOL It was a good cruise read.[/QUOTE]

This is a little too close to home for me...:laughalot:

Dixie...I agree..Evana***** is a northern read....

Windy City

Deckhand
Hiassen is a great read for the beach as are the Stephanie Plum books. Evanovich’s Motor Mouth might make a good choice if you don’t want to start an entire series; but I must say that Stephanie is a riot.

BoHunk

Deckhand
Anyone got any new reads that are interesting?

I recently read a book called 1632 which was surprisingly good. I picked it up with no real intention of reading it but once I started to flip through the pages....I was hooked.
The story is almost history...almost fantasy...
A small mining town in 2000 in Virginia is somehow shifted to Germany in the middle of the 30 years war. Thus the title 1632. The towns people find themselves without modern comforts and surounded by war. They dont understand what happened but have to adopt.
I tend to read historical romance but this did entertain me and I am actually thinking of getting the next one of the series...

alphakitty

Deckhand
I just finished reading Son of a Witch (which my son got me for my bday LOL). It's the sequel to Wicked, The life and times of the Wicked witch of the West. It was good. :) Now I'm starting Harry Potter's 7th book.