• Hello visitor!

We are happy to see you have stopped by and hope you will consider registering with our community. Whether you have a question related to an upcoming cruise or just want to meet other fellow cruisers, you are always welcome!

Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Golden Princess Fall Foliage and Fog Trish and Ed October 2005

joespit

Deckhand
I think I closed out the Stalk forum with us leaving for the airport. Arrived at LGA and took the limo, thanks to Greg and dobbs for the recommendation, to the cruise terminal. There were two other couples from Yulee, Amelia Island taking the cruise with us. We arrived at the cruise terminal around 11am and thought we would be hanging around awhile before we could board. We checked our luggage and went inside the terminal, only to find that they were ready to start boarding. We were checked in(express check-in) and aboard the ship by noon. We were docked next to the Carnival Triumph and saw her off before we set sail around 5pm. A wonderful cruise out of the harbor and past the lovely lady.
Sunday we had a lovely day at sea. Calm seas and a lovely day. Enjoyed the choice dining and a terrific show in the theatre.
Monday we arrive at Halifax and dock behind the Queen Mary 2. The Crystal Symphony was also in port. We skipped the excursions and while our cruising friends took in Peggy's Cove Trish and I explored the Citadel at the top of the hill. Halifax is a lovely town and very friendly. We set sail and received a send off by the QM2 with her horn. The captain replied and we had a regular symphony going between the two ships.
Tuesday we arrive in St. Johns, Newfoundland with fog which burned off early. The QM2 arrived after we did and the town was putting on a big party for her arrival. We had planned on a excursion taking in the Bay of Fundy and the reversing falls. We were notified that the tour was cancelled by the operator, so when we got off the ship we hired a cab driver with a van and the six of us took off on a guided tour. $30.00 an hour. We saw everything, he took us to the falls while the river was flowing out into the bay, we than went around town and did more guided sight seeing and he than took us back to the falls to see them going back with the bay pushing the river upstream. We were touring around 4 hours x$30 split 6 ways. We toured the market place and while walking thru we overheard somebody asking another person if they were on the QM2 or the other ship.
Wednesday we arrived we think at Bar Harbor. Fog as thick as pea soup(thick pea soup). After waiting until 10am and no change in the fog, the captain announced we were going back out to sea, if we could avoid running into the QM2 somewhere in the harbor.
Thursday we arrived in Boston and the weather has cleared. Trish and I took a leisure walking tour to the Old North Church and around Boston Market. Boston is nice but with all of the construction it is a real mess.
Friday we arrived in Newport. Lovely town and very friendly. We all took a self guided walking tour of the down town area. Very interesting town.
As for the fall foliage, we did see some, but with fog it was not a lot. The weather was warm for this time of year. However the cruise was wonderful, the towns warm and friendly and we enjoyed it and would return.
Some of the pictures we took. I also forgot to mention that in both Halifax and Nova Scotia we had a send off by a bag piper along side the pier.
fog.jpg
kroozstatue.jpg
sunset.jpg

Liz

Deckhand
Great report, Ed & Trish.:green: and glad you had such a fun time. Love your fog picture. Glad you missed the QM2:eek:

bob brown

Deckhand
Glad you were able to enjoy the cruise. I believe you meant you called at Saint John, New Brunswick, not St. Johns, Newfoundland? Would be neat if you were able to capture the "horn concert" on audio!:)

jeff

Master of the Vessel
Hey Bob ;)
I'd really like to see an explanation of the Nova Scotia and Newfoundland difference. I believe St. Johns and Halifax are in the same bay?

jeff

NJVIC

Deckhand
Ed and Trish -

- sounds like you had a grand time - great report - when you were in Newport did you check out any of the Mansions? It is pretty famous for them. Liked the pictures will you be posting others?

Vic.

jeff

Master of the Vessel
Found the answer to my own question. I had been relying on Google Earth to show me where Halifax and St. Johns were. Although the program is wonderful, it does not have everything.

They are actually 925 miles apart.

jeff
halifax-stjohns.jpg

c-to-sea

Deckhand
There has been confusion over these 2 cities for years.
St, John's (possessive) is in Newfoundland/Labrador province
(the official name - Newfoundland is the island portion and Labrador
is the mainland portion attached to Quebec (the province, not the city)
similar to the geographical relationship between Portugal and Spain.
Saint John is in the province of New Brunswick, to the west of the
province of Nova Scotia and in the Bay of Fundy.
Halifax is in Nova Scotia on the Atlantic coast.

This might help.
maritimes02.jpg

joespit

Deckhand
Bob your are right. I had as they say right church wrong pew. Some other things that I forgot to mention was that the QM2 and Golden had a concert when we left at every port. The captain mention at the Captain's Circle reception that now that Princess manages the Cunard line he had to beat the QM2 to the next port. That was until the end of the cruise. We left Newport before the QM2. After Trish and I visited the lounges to dance and consume some adult beverages, we retired for the evening and around 1am I woke up and looked out and the QM2, with lights shining, was passing us. I took some pictures, but do not think they are real good. I remember somebody posting a picture of a restaurant in the middle of the harbor. This is of a house in the middle of Newport harbor.
waterhouse.jpg

bob brown

Deckhand
Ed, if there were a "race" between the QM2 and any other ship (except the QE2!), it would be no contest!
It would be very entertaining however, sort of like the "race" between the Delta Queen and one of its siblings on the Ohio River.:D

bob brown

Deckhand
Jeff, virtually all New England and Maritime Canada cruises starting in the U.S. call at Halifax, and many turn around there.
Other ports can include: New London, Ct.; Newport, R.I.; Boston, Martha's Vineyard, and Gloucester, Ma.; Portland and Bar Harbor, Me.; Saint John, N.B.; Sydney, N.S.; Corner Brook, Newfoundland; Charlottetown, P.E.I.; Quebec City and Montreal, P.Q.
St. Johns, Newfoundland is usually only visited by Trans-Atlantic cruises.
Even rarer are calls at St. Anthony, Newfoundland, near the spot the Viking explorers first landed in North America. Another rare port are the tiny islands of Miquelon and St. Pierre, the last French territory in North America.

Jackie

Deckhand
There are so many places in England that have been re-named in Canada & Australia. It was a standing joke in the summer when we passed through Halifax ( Yorkshire) that 'No we are not back in Canada.' ( My husband to our Canadian brother-in-law.):oops: :oops:

CharlieW

Deckhand
Glad you had a good time. Great report.

Jeff, we did a New England/Canada cruise on the QE2 from NY that called on Boston, Bar Harbor, Halifax, St. John's and Newport. The QE2 used to do this as a filler between ocean crossings. There were a number of people on board that originated in England, sailed across, stayed aboard and went to New England Canada nad then returned to England. 3 weeks on board the QE2!

jeff

Master of the Vessel
WOW! That is quite expensive. I know the prices have dropped from last year as I received a post card from Cunard advertising a 12 night Caribbean cruise out of NY for $1400 or so in Jan 2006. That was with a free balcony upgrade. Went as far as Costa Rica and Panama.

Last year I had booked a 14 night Christmas cruise on her in a hull balcony. Cost was $4000 per person. I ended up cancelling it.

jeff

Jackie

Deckhand
Quote:There were a number of people on board that originated in England, sailed across, stayed aboard and went to New England Canada nad then returned to England. 3 weeks on board the QE2!

QE2 Cruise left Southampton at the end of August, did the St Lawrance Seaway and returned 3 weeks later-; from £2999, lowest grade cabin ,I was interested, but did not fancy sleeping in bunk beds or having to go to the lowest grade dining room.:nono: