• Hello visitor!

We are happy to see you have stopped by and hope you will consider registering with our community. Whether you have a question related to an upcoming cruise or just want to meet other fellow cruisers, you are always welcome!

Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Getting to Port Everglades

18fan

Deckhand
The 8 of us are trying to plan travel for our sept. cruise. Part wants to fly like usual but half are considering driving. Since we are all family members, we may all end up driving. We are booked on Carribean Princess and I have checked mapquest and it estimates about 13 hrs. for the trip. How hard is it for someone who has only taken the transfers from the airport to find thier way around that part of Florida? Anyone else attempted a drive of that distance? Since we are due to depart at 5 pm, was trying to figure when to arrive at port and arrange parking and drop off of luggage.
Thanks Gene :?

Dani

Deckhand
We always fly into Ft. Lauderdale but then rent a car for the day.

I would strongly suggest you arrive a day before to rest up. You drive could turn out to longer if you encounter any problems.

Since you can get on the ship earlier nowdays, you can start you cruise with half a day on board before you sail. We like to go through the embarkation process "bright eyed and bushy tailed ".

The area around the Port is very compact and not hard to drive around.
We have stayed at The Marriott Marina, Embassy Suites, Renaissance Hotel which are near restaurants, grocery, wine shops. Also have stayed on the beach at the Sheraton Trader.

We got great rates through Priceline or Hotelopia. Embassy suites is good for a family.

We have found that the driving times on those map programs are optimistic in their estimates.

I would really give yourself an extra day, you will find it is really worth starting your cruise off refreshed.

joespit

Deckhand
Gene We sailed the Caribbean Princess out of the Port in 2004. If you go to the Port Everglades site http://www.broward.org/port/ they have maps and directions as to which terminal the cruise lines leave from. They also give you directions to the port from I95. When we sailed we got there early and waited around, but once they started processing the lines went fast. If you have Express checkin, that is a seperate line once you get inside the terminal. I agree with Ms Kansas about getting down the day before. You never know what trouble you will hit on the interstates. Happy Sailing.:joy:

18fan

Deckhand
The biggest reason I did not want to drive was we have 1 that cant get off untill friday evening. So if we do end up driving it will be a night trip leaving the most time for problems. That means without problems we should be there sat. morning early. We usualy just catch a morning flight out of Charlotte and arrive in about 2 hrs. Still hoping I can convince the rest of the group to fly. :pray:

Dani

Deckhand
You really, really need to fly. That will be a long trip and you all will arrive just
soooooooooo tired that your first day is a wipe out. Maybe even the second day if you push too hard the first day and it catches up with you.

If you were to encounter any problems or lengthy times at check in, it is much easy to roll with the punches if you are not bone tired.

We have connected in Charlotte several times. Is there a late evening flight that you could grab or a very early morning ?

Or the rest of you drive down early and fly the last one down on Sat. morning.

I would work on getting everyone to agree to fly. Never under estimate how being tired can torpedo a vacation.

18fan

Deckhand
We still have enough time that hopefully I can get everyone to agree to fly. We are about 1.5 hrs. drive from Charlotte and I can get us to Ft. Lauderdale at 1:29 sat. which should be plenty of time for a 5 pm sailing. Or another arrival is 9:47 am which might be a little early. I was just mainly just checking to see if anyone else had tried this long of a drive before a cruise and to see how bad negotiating Ft. Lauderdale is. Thanks all.