• Hello visitor!

We are happy to see you have stopped by and hope you will consider registering with our community. Whether you have a question related to an upcoming cruise or just want to meet other fellow cruisers, you are always welcome!

Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Fuerte Amador Port of call=Panama

sealegs

Deckhand
:confused: Good evening,
I need clarification in case my opinion is unfounded.
We're sailing, 2 couples, on Eastbound full Panama transit on INFINITY,early April. At the end of the full day transit of the canal, there is a tender stop at FuerteAmador, which I personally think is nothing more than a fuelbarge stop.
Our cruisemates think it would be neat to hop on a tender, go to Panama City, visit, come back on the tender, etc etc...I told them it's already dark, only 5 hours, tender anchor point just off one of the islands that form sort of a breakwater at the entrance to the Pacific Ocean, some distance away from PanamaCity, only fuelbarge stop really, etc etc...Am I wrong ? I don't know and would really appreciate assistance from some of you folks who have been there or know for sure.

Many thanks
Happy sailings
CG

AdamKnows

Deckhand
I took a west bound panama canal cruise earlier this year that stopped in Fuerte Amador. We had the same situation with only 5 or so hours in port. We took a taxi (they have taxis right at the port) to panama city, did some shopping in Panama City and had plenty of time to spare. Panama City was a great city to visit and I am happy we took the time to explore it.

c-to-sea

Deckhand
We did just the opposite in April. The length of stop seemed quite short
for tendering and we knew it would be dark soon after we anchored. It
worked out well as that night we booked dinner in the Normandie
Restaurant then watched the lights of the city from the ship. I think we
were in bed before we weighed anchor and sailed away. Others did go
ashore but most said it was a bit hurried.

AdamKnows

Deckhand
I One important thing to remember that if you want to go to Panama city do your best to get an early tender ticket. We didn't feel too rushed because we were on an early tender which gave us around 3 hours to spend in Panama City. There isn't much to do or see at the port so if you want to see the "real Panama" you will need to go into town. Panama city is only 10-15 minutes away via taxi and I think we spent $20 on the cab (well worth the money).

sealegs

Deckhand
Fuerte Amador

;) Hi,
1/ Wolfgang, thank you very much for all your efforts in providing maps and pix. I presume the picture is taken from the isthmus, very close to where the tenders dock....right ??? And this is Pa-City, not Balboa, in the background ???
If this is also a fuel barge stop, does the ship '' deep anchors '' to minimize movement ?? In other words, are the Pa-City lights visible from mostly the same side ??Should we decide to hold tight,stay on board and have dinner in SS United State restaurant,which is port side, do we stand a chance of also seeing the Pa-City lights most of the time ??

2/Adamknows; thanks so much for your input. I guess the tenders from the ship travel a short distance to the tip of the isthmus from where you grab a cab...Really OK to bank on 3 hours in Pa-City with an early tender ticket ??Are shops opened late in the city every night,or just weekdays ??
Does the ship goes straight out of the Canal, past the end of the isthmus THEN turn back in the bay on tha Pa-City side, before dropping anchor?? Or does she simply manoeuvres close to the isthmus right out of the canal and drops anchor in the northwest end of it ??
Thanks ,all, for your help
Cheers
CG
:clap:

sealegs

Deckhand
fuerte amador; C-to-sea

:confused: Hi,
Thanks for your input, c-to-sea....But if you did '' the opposite'' in April, wouldn't you be in Cristobal, at the Carribean side, at night after the transit ???
If you were indeed in FuerteAmador, your toughts about the specialty restaurant are exactly what we are thinking of doing.
Thanks
Cheers
CG

c-to-sea

Deckhand
We did do East to West. By opposite, I was refering to NOT going ashore in
Panama City. Sorry for the confusion. Whatever you choose, you will
enjoy the Panama Canal transit. It is awesome.

sealegs

Deckhand
fuerte amador

Hi,Wolfgang,

Thanks a million for the topnotch package of informations. This is great !!!

Cheers
CG
;)

AdamKnows

Deckhand
Our ship (the legend of the seas) was anchored only 1/4 of a mile from the port. I think the actual boat ride was only 10 or so minutes. Panama city is very large and the downtown area should be open fairly late. We went to a shopping mall that was open until 9pm.

AdamKnows

Deckhand
Below is a picture of Panama City that I took from the dock earlier this year. This is where the tender boats drop off the passengers. Hopefully this will give you an idea of how close will be to Panama City.
panama city.jpg

AdamKnows

Deckhand
This picture is a picture of the ship I was on (Legend of the Seas) from the dock. This shows how close the ship is (only a few minutes by tender).
legend panama.jpg

sealegs

Deckhand
FuerteAmador

;) Good evening, Adamknows,

Many thanks for your pictures; they are indeed very helpful.
Well done !!

Cheers
CG
:)