• Hello visitor!

We are happy to see you have stopped by and hope you will consider registering with our community. Whether you have a question related to an upcoming cruise or just want to meet other fellow cruisers, you are always welcome!

Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Fuel Surcharges

18fan

Deckhand
Has anyone heard of fuel surcharges being added with the recent increases. I am thinking about paying our cruise tickets for sept. early. They are not due until 7/23/06 but with prices going up they might start charging. If cruise is paid for can you be charged an additional fee? Whats bad is we have had these booked for over a year and things were a lot different then.:?:?

sealegs

Deckhand
Good morning,

Fuel surcharges are a matter of '' when'' , not '' if'' or '' whether or not''.
It's just a matter of time; the luxury lines, i-e;Regent, already have them on.
There is NO WAY on earth that a business like this one can go on surviving with the cost of a commodity it uses by the tons everyday going up like it has over the last 12 months....without increasing its own cost recovery basis somewhere.
It's safe to '' lock in'' the actual price as early as you can; it's also fairly safe to presume that, once paid in full, a file is generally immuned to new surcharges such as fuel.
Be on the lookout==your TA will let you know if/when the surcharges are assessed, at which time you'd have a ## days grace to pay out first before it settles in.

Cheers
CG
;)

18fan

Deckhand
sealegs, I called our travel agent and told her to keep me informed. I am going to go ahead and pay for my families, that will just leave 3 in the second cabin that have not paid in full. She did tell me the govt. taxes had increased $2.08 per person and this would have to be paid even if we had already paid up since its a tax. You are right though with the increases in fuel sooner or later they will have to increase charges. I forgot how many gallons the Triumph used each day but it was enough that if I had the weeks worth I dont think I would have to worry about fuel in my lifetime.

NJVIC

Deckhand
Pay in full -

- and they shouldn't charge any increase. At least that's what we've been told by our agent. Once you've paid in full the contract becomes binding for both you and the cruiseline. They do have contingency clauses, but I haven't seen one that says they can hit you with a fuel surcharge.

Vic

18fan

Deckhand
Just got off the phone with TA. cruise has been paid for in full, now if sept. will just get here.:dancer::dancer:

sealegs

Deckhand
:D Hi, 18fan

Well done....now, you can breathe easy and start packing!!!
If there are fuel surcharges,well....not the end of the world....How much interest would you $$ have earned till ''real'' payout time ??? Not worth sweating it....

Happy sailings
Cheers
CG
;)

cclguy

Deckhand
I had to pay a fuel surcharge several years ago shortly after 9/11 on the Norwegian Sky. I had paid in full and still had to pay $20 per person, NCL did not notify my travel agent till he had the final cruise doc's in hand. It was no big deal, so I had to pay $40 to see Alaska.

Robert

NJVIC

Deckhand
I find that surprising -

- we had a similar situation after 9/11. We had paid in full well in advance - but friends we were travelling with had not - they were hit with a fuel surcharge and we were not. We dealt with the same cruise agency. It was explained that once paid in full they could not charge a surcharge because their acceptance of full payment becomes a binding contract.

Anyone else have similar or different experience?

Vic.

Peebeegee

Deckhand
Slow down guys and do the figures first:idea:
If you have your money in a deposit account as we call them over here then you are earning interest on it so you have to figure out the loss of interest first and offset this against any potential surcharge which, after all, is only on the fuel content of the total cruise cost. Even worse would be if you ended up borrowing the money in order to pay early; I could almost guarantee in such a case that you would end up losing.
Once an accountant - always an accountant:clap:
Cheers. Paul

NJVIC

Deckhand
Valid point about interest -

- except until recently here savings accounts (deposits) were gaining less than 1.5 percent per year. So it really would come down to how far in advance you book the cruise. A 3000 dollar cruise booked more than a year in advance would be worth it to leave the money on deposit in an account. One booked four to six months in advance would be better paid off if it would avoid a fuel surcharge.

Again we are all assuming that fuel surcharges are inevitable.

Vic.

Peebeegee

Deckhand
For once something over here is larger than something over there;) ;)
Deposit account rates are running at around 4.5% in the U.K.:joy:
Can't you move your money "offshore"?
Cheers. Paul
( if I keep posting at this rate I will soon leave the stairwell - and return to the pub!)

Dani

Deckhand
To avoid the fuel surcharge, could you do a work exchange?

No, I cannot pay the extra ...whatever....but for xxxx number of hours I will be available to sing in the lounge.

Some of you singing in the lounge would be "Priceless " :joy:

Yorsk

Deckhand
Some numbers -

Greetings all -
I'm a long time viewer of the cams, first time poster.
In 2005, Carnival brands spent $709M to fuel it's 79 ships, up from $493M in 2004.
Given the 139,000 berths (about 50M bed-nights/year) that's about $14 per Pax per day or $100 on a 1 week run.
It will be interesting to see how much they add.

Walt
(off on the Summit to Hawaii 4/23)

CharlieW

Deckhand
Welcome Yorsk! Look forward to hearing about your trip on Summit. Make sure you post a report in the Kroooz Reports.