• Hello visitor!

We are happy to see you have stopped by and hope you will consider registering with our community. Whether you have a question related to an upcoming cruise or just want to meet other fellow cruisers, you are always welcome!

Hope to see you on the forums soon!

FAQ's for the first time cruiser...

John

Deckhand
Camera charger
Cell phone charger
Batteries
Lint roller
Camera
Walkie talkies
Plug adaptor (for chargers etc)
safety pins (for broken zips and temp repairs)
Bottle opener
Corkscrew (for all those bottles we are not allowed to take on board)
passport
identification
cruise documents
Cash--small bills like 1's and 5's (for tipping onboard, on the islands, for bellmen and lugguage handlers also for taxis on the islands) I usually try to have at least $100
sunscreen
Raingear/umberella (for UK cruising)
surge suppressor multi-socket - there's never enough in a room for my laptop & bits (all those chargers )
Insect repellent, with sunscreen if possible, or vice versa
wrinkle release
flashlight
Address book or labels for sending those postcards
Driver's Licence
Travel Insurance documents
Antiseptic/Anesthetic spray
ear plugs or white noise machine
vinegar for jelly fish stings
water shoes
travel alarm
watch
underwater camera
visor or hat

G.M.T.

Deckhand
- Clothes to suit the cruising area

- Traveller first aid kit with suitable pills & ointments (including broadband antibotic)

- Small but powerful torch (flashlight) with various settings, great if one has to visit the John during the night

- Netbook (probably a Pad in future) to copy photos & videos (also to start to edit and process them)

- Yellow stickies / supply of ball point pens, for leaving messages

- Small notebook, with various information, address, contacts, currency conversion chart (don't want ot be screwed do we, etc. and space for additional notes

- Aerial Pocket Pen for removing stains

- Small spray of Downy Wrinkle Release (needs to be replenished as MIL emptied my last bottle after I told her she could use it)

- couple of small bin liners with handles,

- Swiss Army Knife (cork screw, bottle opener, scissors)

- Binoculars or Monocular

- Few safey pns and sewing kit

- Several meters of string, use as a washing line, tying up your busted luggage

- Small roll of duct tape

- Small suppy of rubber bands.

- Small supply of AA & AAA batteries (most common)

- Disinfection hand spray & wipes

- wipes for cleaning glasses

- small packets of paper tissues

- Cleansing wipes

- List of several phrases in the language of the country that we will be visiting

- Small day pack / rucksack

- Sunglasses

- rain poncho with hood

- dextrose

- all prescription medicines are pcked into carryon

- change of clothes in carryon, in case luggage goes missing

Make sure that any items that may contravene the airport security regulation (e.g. Swiss Army Knife) are packed into your checkedin luggage.

DW and I always cross pack, in case one suitcase goes missing.

Thinking about geeting a small solar charger with aset of adapters.

tjandluke

Deckhand
Aerial Pocket Pen for removing stains?????

I have never heard of this item? Could someone please clarify. It sounds like something I would need travelling with a child.

I also travel with a jar of Nutella (Luke likes the stuff) for him to put on croissants in the morning.
And if you are a parent with a child a mini screw driver- somewhere along the way you will buy a toy that needs a screwdriver to undo the battery back. Batteries can always be found if needed but try getting a mini screwdriver on a cruise ship- even the maintenance guys do not have them that little!

Ally

Deckhand
This section has now been reinstated so anyone can now put together a cabin review from their cruise(s) in this area of the website, the cabin reviews are always handy for people to get an idea as to what to expect when booking a cruise and when they want to know about certain cabin grades or cabin numbers on the ship.

So if you have cruised in the last few months, do please post a cabin review using the format above...thank you everyone :joy:

Ally

Deckhand
Denied boarding? Cancellation?
Long delay? Lost luggage?
Reduced mobility?

Over the last thirty years, there has been a boom in mobility in Europe. For millions of citizens travel has become a reality, indeed a right.

Passengers need a common set of principles, so that they can be more easily aware of their rights if something goes wrong with their trip, regardless of the mode of transport they use or whether a journey takes place wholly within a single Member State or goes through an intra-Community or external frontier.

In the light of this, the EU has committed itself to placing users at the heart of transport policy.

Siim Kallas
Vice-President of the Commission, responsible for transport
The full website containing all the details can be found here...

Your passenger rights at hand - EUROPEAN COMMISSION

Ally

Deckhand
Denied boarding? Cancellation?
Long delay? Lost luggage?
Reduced mobility?

Over the last thirty years, there has been a boom in mobility in Europe. For millions of citizens travel has become a reality, indeed a right.

Passengers need a common set of principles, so that they can be more easily aware of their rights if something goes wrong with their trip, regardless of the mode of transport they use or whether a journey takes place wholly within a single Member State or goes through an intra-Community or external frontier.

In the light of this, the EU has committed itself to placing users at the heart of transport policy.

Siim Kallas
Vice-President of the Commission, responsible for transport
The full website containing all the details can be found here...

Your passenger rights at hand - EUROPEAN COMMISSION

L

lancashire lass

Very interesting. Disabled and those with reduced mobility should feel a little better once this becomes law in December. I would like to see this worldwide not just EU countries.

L

lancashire lass

I know most fliers know the symptoms of D. V. T. [ deep vein thrombosis] and many think it won't happen to them. But over the last 8 years I have lost two good friends to D.VT. each one day after returning from long flights.
There are risk factors and most people do not know them.

Age. Can occur at any age over 20 but usually over 50yrs.
Recent surgery. 6-8 weeks.
Past history of blood disorders.
Diabetic.

Symptoms. Do not always occur on the flight., but watch out for Soreness, swelling, redness and warmth in legs or arms.
Following the flight if you feel chest tightness, pain or dizziness go to E. R. or contact doctor.

Prevention or minimize chances of clots.

Move around the plane when permitted.
Do leg stretches and ankle circles at least every hour
Wear compression stockings if you have ever had a history of blood disorders
No crossing ankles
Drink water
No alcohol or caffeine.
Choose and aisle seat and do not sleep more than one hour.

Pam in CA

Captain
A trick I just learned is to bring small magnets. Sounds weird but the walls and doors of most cabins are metal and you can tack a note, your itinerary or whatever you want on the wall. Some people bring small dorm whiteboards with magnets on the back to leave messages for the other person in the cabin or friends.

I agree with the note about flying, i.e., drink lots of water and no alcohol, particularly for a long flight. Get up and move around. There's usually a spot you can stand for a few minutes. While sitting, stretch and flex your feet, arms and neck.

PEB

Captain
Staff member
For us one thing we do because we do cruise a lot is to keep a storage bin filled with things that we only use on a cruise. In that bin will of course be a list for clothing needed but the rest is things we do not want to search for or buy for every trip, like a travel alarm and other small items that are on many of the lists listed in this set of posts. The bin just makes packing much easier and faster.